GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modshack Intake possibly causing problems?

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Last friday, I started my car and then it dies like 3 seconds after. Ended up taking it to the dealership, and they just told me today, that the intake is causing problems because it is sucking in too much air.

Does the vehicle sucking in too much air actually cause this problem? I brought my car to a Toyota dealership initially, and it pulled fault code P0657.

What does this mean?
OBD Code P0657refers to
The ECM continuously monitors its internal memory status, internal circuits, and output signals to the throttle actuator. This self−check insures that the ECM is functioning properly. If any malfunction is detected, the ECM will set the code and illuminate the engine light.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0657
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Engine may not start
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0657
- ECM Harness power supply circuit is open or shorted - ECM Programing - Faulty ECM The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: Indicates the ECM has experienced an internal memory fault.
Possible Solutions
- Resecure ECM connectors - Reprogram ECM - Replaced ECM

I thought the problem may have been either my high pressure fuel pump or some kind of fuse. Does this seem right? Or are they trying to screw me out of my extended warranty coverage?

FriggenT1

Banned
I doubt modshack Intake would cause that. Steve knows his stuff and wouldn't put out something that caused issues imo anyway.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
A) Why would you take a VW to a Toyota dealership?

B) They obviously have no idea how to figure out how a real car works, let them go back to working on Priusi.

An intake does not "pull" anything. The vacuum in an engine as the valves open and the pistons are pulled down suck in air. In the case of a turbo or supercharged engine those devices do pull in air over and above that vacuum condition. But none of those factors or parts have anything to do with the intake.

An intake can RESTRICT airflow into the engine, but there is no such thing as an intake "pulling in" too much air.

What that code means is that the ECU is detecting a fault internally or with connectors/voltage. Is this car tuned?

It would be advisable to take it to a VW trained technician.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Check your fuses

phuccer1

Ready to race!
A) Why would you take a VW to a Toyota dealership?

B) They obviously have no idea how to figure out how a real car works, let them go back to working on Priusi.

An intake does not "pull" anything. The vacuum in an engine as the valves open and the pistons are pulled down suck in air. In the case of a turbo or supercharged engine those devices do pull in air over and above that vacuum condition. But none of those factors or parts have anything to do with the intake.

An intake can RESTRICT airflow into the engine, but there is no such thing as an intake "pulling in" too much air.

What that code means is that the ECU is detecting a fault internally or with connectors/voltage. Is this car tuned?

It would be advisable to take it to a VW trained technician.

I bought the car at a Toyoya dealership, and the extended warranty which i now greatly regret. The warranty forced me to take it back to the Toyota i bought the vehicle from. Toyota has transferred my car to a VW dealership near them.

My car is not tuned. Only has the modshack intake plus R8 Coils.

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Just got to the VW dealership because they want to try putting my stock intake on to see if it will fix anything.

Asked them about the fuses and high pressure fuel pump, which most threads say might be the problem. The guy here at VW says he wont know until he puts it back to stock and checks again.

At this point, he says he got the car started by resetting the the cars settings. It now idles, but once its given gas it dies out.

phuccer1

Ready to race!
I guess they want to see if they can screw you on warranty work

I just can't think of any reason for why the VW dealership is trying to screw me out of my warranty that I bought from Toyota. Since Toyota is subletting the vehicle to VW, VW is going to get paid anyway. After they finish up the repairs, they will bill Toyota. Toyota will then send the invoice to Portfolio, the extended warranty company, and Portfolio will reimburse Toyota.

In the end, there is absolutely no reason for VW to screw me over on the extended warranty coverage because they get paid either way.

FriggenT1

Banned
I just can't think of any reason for why the VW dealership is trying to screw me out of my warranty that I bought from Toyota. Since Toyota is subletting the vehicle to VW, VW is going to get paid anyway. After they finish up the repairs, they will bill Toyota. Toyota will then send the invoice to Portfolio, the extended warranty company, and Portfolio will reimburse Toyota.

In the end, there is absolutely no reason for VW to screw me over on the extended warranty coverage because they get paid either way.

There's no reason not to cover most issues on a stock or modified car, but companies find reasons all the time. Just saying. Also keep in mind that even vw mechanics don't always know what they're doing, so the fuse thing could be an issue still and they might have just said they checked it, but not really checked it.

cardoboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like fuel pump to me.