GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil leak AGAIN!

FF_animal

Ready to race!
you said you're still under powertrain but does the dealer have a limtiation on mileage after work was done for thier own work? maybe its another bad seal (doubtful)

Dealer is honoring the seal work for up to 12k from date they install. So they installed this currently leaking seal back in December and its leaking about 3-4 k later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Wow just got another quote for shits and giggles and a very reputable shop wants 1800 bucks for seal replacement due to alignment after and having to drop the subframe? Sounds fucking Bay shit crazy price to me. For "11" hours of labor.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Wow just got another quote for shits and giggles and a very reputable shop wants 1800 bucks for seal replacement due to alignment after and having to drop the subframe? Sounds fucking Bay shit crazy price to me. For "11" hours of labor.

Should just buy a lift and do it yourself for that price.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Ask Neil Campos in the Facebook NorCal VW drivers group. He does work for a lot of members dirt cheap and has a lift in his garage.

*nvm just saw the dealer was covering. Also i'd replace the PCV anyway for peace of mind.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Ask Neil Campos in the Facebook NorCal VW drivers group. He does work for a lot of members dirt cheap and has a lift in his garage.

*nvm just saw the dealer was covering. Also i'd replace the PCV anyway for peace of mind.

Thanks for the tip! Maybe in the future if I need work done. What's his user name on here tho? I don't have a Facebook

FF_animal

Ready to race!
So tonight I did a more thorough inspection after work. Yesterday it started to rain so I had to stop early. So after work today I came home and threw her on ramps again. Wiped everything down and saw that the source of the oil seems to be coming from the intercooler pipes.

Removed belly pan and found sides under the pipes were soaked in oil and must have been blowing all over the bottom of the motor and trans. Checked both pipes and they seem secure but have all this oil build up around them.

Also found this

Appears to be leaking right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong in all this. All the help is much appreciated.

Also saw some oil build up around the turbo

Don't know if this is normal.

In the end there is a positive. I inspected the timing chain tensioner and I have the updated version. That plug was a lot easier to get on and off than people have said. Again any help is much appreciated.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Picking up some intercooler hose o rings after work. Hopefully that helps.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Possibly. Is there any other signs to check for bad pcv. Dealer said last time it was fine but now this seal is leaking with less than 5k on it. Just want to cover all grounds before the new seal goes in.

I think another way to check is to try and remove the oil cap with the engine running. It should be very difficult to remove and should stall the car upon removal. If they engine doesn't stall or not much of an effort to remove the cap then I believe your PCV is bad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
So I finally got around to changing the hoses o rings. Last time I checked for leaks I wiped down the belly pan and again today it was covered in oil underneath the hoses running down the pan but not enough to drop in my drive way. Which kinda made this a stealth leak in a way.

Swapped on the new ones, drove a couple miles and did some quick pulls. Checked for leaks and oil on the belly pan again and none so far. Fingers crossed.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, that it seems it was the intercooler piping; I'd never have thought to look there...

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, that it seems it was the intercooler piping; I'd never have thought to look there...

Yeah a lot of people get rid of those connections if they can. My entire setup has taken out all the crappy o-ring connections.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yeah a lot of people get rid of those connections if they can. My entire setup has taken out all the crappy o-ring connections.

Oh? How did you do that? Can you explain, is this some kind of kit or did you just figure out a better way - would like to hear it!

FF_animal

Ready to race!

I'm hoping it's done with now. The old rings were smashed and the new ones felt thicker.