GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr stage 1 w/ downpipe question

kbrett11

Ready to race!
As the title states, I'm about to be running that setup with a currently installed cai. My concern is that I'm running on a stock clutch (currently 50k on clutch) and I've been tuned since day 1. After adding the downpipe and updating my Apr file to the new stage 1 low torque file, will my clutch last? Should I start saving for new clutch? Thoughts on this and any suggestions?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Do you have any signs of slippage? I would still save up for a clutch as it will go out eventually anyways regardless of tune.. yes the tune is going to speed up the process but it would still go out on a stock car eventually.

Also once you save up and get the clutch done you can move on to stage 2 and get a decent bump in power over the stage 1 low output.

So short answer No and yes. If you arent getting any slippage with the current tune than the downpipe isnt gonna make it slip unless you up the powers by moving to stage 2 (proper tune for a downpipe). But yes you need to start saving for a new clutch preferably a aftermarket clutch. The clutch is a wear and tear and it will go out eventually.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I ran a downpipe on stage1 for a month. Clutch never slipped till i went stage2, you should be good, dont WOT in the higher gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbrett11

Ready to race!
That's good to hear. The only thing is I'll be on this clutch for another year or two.
I ran a downpipe on stage1 for a month. Clutch never slipped till i went stage2, you should be good, dont WOT in the higher gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stinger

Ready to race!
Yeah, i didn't have to change my clutch for ... about a week after going Stage 1.

Read the multiple threads on the consequences of going Stage 1, from those who did or did not have to upgrade their clutch.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Wow sorry to hear that. Mine has been stage 1 since day 1 and no issues
Yeah, i didn't have to change my clutch for ... about a week after going Stage 1.

Read the multiple threads on the consequences of going Stage 1, from those who did or did not have to upgrade their clutch.