GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Automotive Sweet 16 Bracket

Maxim1

With options, it comes out above what I want to pay, even if I manage to get a couple G's knocked off by the dealer.

Really? Before I moved to AZ, the dealers in my area were offering almost fully loaded RX-8s (everything except the R3 package, which you wouldn't want unless you were planning on regularly tracking the car) for around 27k.

South Dakota does have low overhead for everything though...

Maxim1

I agree that they are great drivers but the poor MPG also adds to the over-all price.

tino

Yeah they're not gonna get the kind of MPG that a GTI will...but during my test drive I reset the fuel consumption computer to see what kind of MPG I'd get if I didn't rev the thing up. Over about a 20 min drive through the city I got mid 20s....I actually got worse on the highway than in town.

It was a very hard decision...If they offered a lighter 2 door RX-7 version I think I probably would have gone for that over a GTI.

KDearduff

Ready to race!
The Kia should be in the play-in game to earn the right to be in the tournament, not tossed in by its own (lack of) merits alone.

JackReacher

Passed Driver's Ed
IMHO the 2011 Mustang V-6 is the winner hands down if you can put up with less space and a slightly lower quality interior. It runs the 1/4 in the high 13 range and gets close to 30mpg running 87 octane fuel on the highway. With the $1995 performance pack it should smoke the GTI in the corners too. If I didn't need the utility of a 4 door I would get a new Mustang in a heartbeat.

PS: The Mustang aftermarket is ridiculous, pretty much every performance part you can think of is available and many of the best can be purchased straight from your dealership.

MGoDoubleMs

Passed Driver's Ed
Am I going to have to expand the bracket to five divisions or something? Everyone keeps adding cars without removing cars!

Falchon

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO, get rid of the Altima Coupe and replace it with the Accord Coupe V6 with a 6spd. The cars are obviously direct competitors, but the Accord is better in every feasible category. The stick shift is a joy (like the Si), it's faster, looks better (subjective) has a much better interior (subjective), feels much more solid (subjective), and has beaten the Altima in every comparo I've ever read.

MGoDoubleMs

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO, get rid of the Altima Coupe and replace it with the Accord Coupe V6 with a 6spd. The cars are obviously direct competitors, but the Accord is better in every feasible category. The stick shift is a joy (like the Si), it's faster, looks better (subjective) has a much better interior (subjective), feels much more solid (subjective), and has beaten the Altima in every comparo I've ever read.

Except Consumer Reports, which gave Altima Car of the Year...

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
FORD TAURUS SHO for family-esqe/balls to the wall grocery getter section!!!!!!

Falchon

Passed Driver's Ed
Except Consumer Reports, which gave Altima Car of the Year...

CR gave the 2010 Altima "Family Sedan" of the year, and they were referring to the 4cyl sedan, not the 6cyl coupe. Go read the edmunds review of these two cars, or any other relevant review of the cars I actually discussed and you'll find the Accord V6 Coupe beats the Altima V6 coupe in virtually every way.

To quote InsideLine:

"Anyway you look at it, however, the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe felt like it was engineered, designed and built to an entirely different, higher and better standard.

No contest. The Accord coupe is the one that's left, and the one that's right."

MGoDoubleMs

Passed Driver's Ed
CR gave the 2010 Altima "Family Sedan" of the year, and they were referring to the 4cyl sedan, not the 6cyl coupe. Go read the edmunds review of these two cars, or any other relevant review of the cars I actually discussed and you'll find the Accord V6 Coupe beats the Altima V6 coupe in virtually every way.

To quote InsideLine:

"Anyway you look at it, however, the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe felt like it was engineered, designed and built to an entirely different, higher and better standard.

No contest. The Accord coupe is the one that's left, and the one that's right."

That's from 2008, not 2010. I'd probably get the 4cyl Coupe, we will have to see.

Falchon

Passed Driver's Ed
That's from 2008, not 2010. I'd probably get the 4cyl Coupe, we will have to see.

The 2010 Altima's and Accord's are the same gens that were out in 2008, since both were brand new for the 2008 model year IIRC. And if you're talking about going with a slow car, then you might as well not even get the coupe IMO. Looks without speed and handling seems so anticlimactic, like driving a Scion Tc or late model Tiburon.