GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 gti stereo build

nadams5755

Ready to race!
got everything pulled, t-nuts installed, painted, and carpeted. you folks know how carpeting goes but not how much i suck at it. :laugh:

need to tweak the cap power cable and to sand out the cable openings in the PDU. they don't appear to be designed for heat shrink.

false floor works, need to trim around the hatch lip for the hatch sill. then carpet. won't be able to revisit this until the weekend. (damn school :mad:)

nadams5755

Ready to race!
spent a couple hours today soldering led rope lights and mounting them in a bit of a recessed fashion under the false floor. i need to finish routing the cables and integration with the hatch switch. the hard part is done though: solder techflex, heat shrink, mounting.

i'll probably pull the whole false floor back out and paint the underside.

i've got a set of rear door puddle lights and rear footwell lights on the way, along with some extra door panel clips

hilld

Ready to race!
How are you liking those Soundstream amps?

nadams5755

Ready to race!
they're powerful. i love the minimal looks. i like the wiring terminals.

they're huge. i dislike the non-defeatable crossovers (but you can tune them out of the way).

i haven't been able to make them overheat yet, but i'm not pushing them terribly hard. my 4ch amp gets warmer than my sub amp, but the midbasses are 2-ohm and cover a wide frequency range.

nadams5755

Ready to race!
i always felt like there was more headroom in my stereo than the rcd-310 was letting me hear. i asked other vw sound-nerds (like quality_sound) for opinions of rcd-510 sound quality, i knew i needed to look at the other radios available. :( i wanted to keep an oem radio for integration.

i picked up a used rns-315-b and installed it tonight. gps antenna is mounted above the center vents, like all the other cool kids do.

using the VAGCOM cable, i set the sound system to volkswagen sound system so it would lower output to line-level.

lower mid-range frequencies used to be disappointing with the rcd-310; baritones would start distorting at low volumes. so far, without any additional tuning, i have a bunch more headroom and the sound is cleaner. :D

it does need to be retuned now though.

Holy Fuck man.. you dont joke around..

nadams5755

Ready to race!
i installed the front door puddle lights last summer. installed the rear door puddle lights and back seat footwell lights today.

the oem footwell lights (from the front) fit in the back better, so i swapped the bold-sport ones to the front.

nadams5755

Ready to race!
i wanted to install the bit ten's remote-control in the dash but wanted to close/hide it as well. it's angled back to be easier to use. however, i don't plan to use it much. (the bit ten will occasionally set its volume to 0, requiring a remote-control or laptop to return the volume back to normal.)

this meant adding a USB charging port as well. i bought a USB button socket, cigarette lighter socket, anker USB 4-port charger (2.1a/port, both android and iphone auto modes). i got an extra dash console from the forums.

i soldered and heat-shrunk things together, made it nice and safe, and installed everything. i attached everything to the carpet under the center console w/ velcro. the audison DRC is attached w/ double-sided tape.

i added the garage door opener earlier this year. the actual opener is under the right-side of the center console, so i can quickly remove it to swap batteries.