GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HOW TO: Wire your horn to work with Aftermarket Steering Wheel (EASY)

iiBBQ

Hello All!

I received a Nardi Personal wheel for Christmas this year and decided to install it in my car. I searched for a while to find an easy way to wire the horn with no luck.. at all. Once I figured out how easy it was I figured I would post a simple thread on how to manage this.

**Note, I'm not responsible for you fucking something up. Also I used an NRG Short hub and NRG quick release for this on my 2011 GTI

Step 1: Install the Short hub onto the car while fitting the plastic piece behind it (The hub has two holes and a slot for the plastic connector to sink in.. I had to press down on the connector with my finger while installing)

Step 2: Tighten the Short hub using a T55 socket

Step 3: Wire up your horn button in the NRG quick release (This is straight forward, the red goes to red and black goes to black)

Step 4: The Short hub has a black ground wire already on it, remove that as you will not need it. Get the proper Male and Female connector and two extra pieces of wire (cut to length needed) see here:

Step 5: You'll need to get creative here but the bottom two left pins in the plastic connector are the two activate the horn once connected. I pulled two of the wires from the factory steering wheel so I could retain the metal pins, then used electrical tape to separate then tie them together. You could solder these on as well, however I wanted a simple plug and play setup

Now you're done, plug the wires together and install the wheel and you now have a working horn without having to tap any wires behind the steering wheel.

UNFOGIVABLE

Go Kart Champion
Great DIY! I'm going to try this later tonight.

Any luck on how to remove the airbag light?

do you know which pins are for the airbag?

Oh, yeah. BUMP! haha

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I have the same steering wheel (silver logo) in my Del Sol. I would love to get one for the GTI but don't want to lose the steering wheel controls. :(

Super0901

Hello All!

I received a Nardi Personal wheel for Christmas this year and decided to install it in my car. I searched for a while to find an easy way to wire the horn with no luck.. at all. Once I figured out how easy it was I figured I would post a simple thread on how to manage this.

**Note, I'm not responsible for you fucking something up. Also I used an NRG Short hub and NRG quick release for this on my 2011 GTI

Step 1: Install the Short hub onto the car while fitting the plastic piece behind it (The hub has two holes and a slot for the plastic connector to sink in.. I had to press down on the connector with my finger while installing)

Step 3: Wire up your horn button in the NRG quick release (This is straight forward, the red goes to red and black goes to black)

Step 4: The Short hub has a black ground wire already on it, remove that as you will not need it. Get the proper Male and Female connector and two extra pieces of wire (cut to length needed) see here:

Step 5: You'll need to get creative here but the bottom two left pins in the plastic connector are the two activate the horn once connected. I pulled two of the wires from the factory steering wheel so I could retain the metal pins, then used electrical tape to separate then tie them together. You could solder these on as well, however I wanted a simple plug and play setup

Now you're done, plug the wires together and install the wheel and you now have a working horn without having to tap any wires behind the steering wheel.
Hi. Sorry to digup an old thread but im trying to wire my aftermarket horn button and I found this article but the pictures are no longer available. Is there any way to see the pictures posted? Thank you.

Super0901

Hello All!

Hey bud. Good writeup but can we see these pictures?