GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My new cars first race! - 12' GTI VS. 12' MazdaSpeed 3

D-Rick21

Ready to race!
Does nobody respect the sanctity of the break-in period anymore? :yikes:

Just out of curiosity, within what mile range do YOU consider a break in period? People all over have different ideas of what the ideal break in range is, so I'm just curious as to what you believe it is for the Gti? I'm sure it differs slightly depending on the car, but some automotive places believe that newer cars are pretty much broken in from the factory. Others believe you should drive like a grandma for the first few thousand miles, before you really get on it/beat it.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Just out of curiosity, within what mile range do YOU consider a break in period? People all over have different ideas of what the ideal break in range is, so I'm just curious as to what you believe it is for the Gti? I'm sure it differs slightly depending on the car, but some automotive places believe that newer cars are pretty much broken in from the factory. Others believe you should drive like a grandma for the first few thousand miles, before you really get on it/beat it.

My 2 cents: In the MS3 I did 1K for break-in and then an oil change - yes, there were metal shavings in the oil but I was told it is to be expected.

In my GTI - I've put about 600 miles so far... thinking about doing an oil change at 1K after break-in, then 5K, then 10K at the dealer... and then 5K intervals.

For me - break-in period is relatively mild driving, not keeping the same speed for too long, no hard driving, limited spirited driving... basically take it easy - like stretching before running a marathon.

Fsiguy

Ready to race!
I took mine super easy for the first 3500 kms, a couple light pulls but NO high rpms. After that I start pushing it a little more eventually building up to WOT redline pulls. At 10,000 kms I went stage 2! :)

D-Rick21

Ready to race!
My 2 cents: In the MS3 I did 1K for break-in and then an oil change - yes, there were metal shavings in the oil but I was told it is to be expected.

In my GTI - I've put about 600 miles so far... thinking about doing an oil change at 1K after break-in, then 5K, then 10K at the dealer... and then 5K intervals.

For me - break-in period is relatively mild driving, not keeping the same speed for too long, no hard driving, limited spirited driving... basically take it easy - like stretching before running a marathon.

Oh ok. I did a similar thing, ran it pretty conservatively for the first 500ish miles and changed my oil to synthetic at 1k, but I did do a little spirited driving within my first 1k miles. I didn't ride out the gears or go past 5k rpm's, but didn't completely baby it either. I also change my oil every 2800-3000 miles even with using synthetic oil. Haha I figured it's better to have clean engine and spend the little extra money on oil than worry about extra build up, I may have been able to prevent. I also only put about 8,xxx miles on the car a year (don't really drive it in the winter) so time-wise the oil is changed similar to someone who has longer mile intervals but who drives more miles.