GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying ones leased GTI Question

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Hi,
I'm two years into a 36 month lease on my GTI.
I'm considering purchasing it when the lease ends depending...

My question:

Will they - VW (or are they able to) tell me now what the purchase price of my GTI will be one year from now?

Thanks!

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
When my mom leased her car with plans of buying out she negotiated before hand

iAmLodi

Ready to race!
Maybe it's different down in the States, but here in Canada, when you lease a car, you know the buy-out price before you even make your purchase. Are you sure it isn't written in your lease paperwork anywhere?

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
^^idk my mom did the same thing, maybe OP didnt realize and probably got a crappy buy out price

whatever

Passed Driver's Ed
The buy-out price would have been a part of the original lease deal. This is called the "residual value", which is typically a percentage of the originally negotiated purchase price. Suggest you review your lease documents thoroughly in case there are any caveats to the purchase.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, I'll have to pull out my lease and take a look.

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
you can also find it if you go to your online account with vw credit. they will also give you a buyout price if you purchase it before the lease is over.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
$1615 to buy it out.
My car only has about 9k miles on it right now at 23 months in, so I doubt I'll even have 15k on it by lease end.

$1615 with 15k, and I know the owner and how the car was driven.

I might go this route since the MK7 doesn't look like it will be available stateside a year from now.
We'll see...

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
$1615 to buy it out.
My car only has about 9k miles on it right now at 23 months in, so I doubt I'll even have 15k on it by lease end.

$1615 with 15k, and I know the owner and how the car was driven.

I might go this route since the MK7 doesn't look like it will be available stateside a year from now.
We'll see...

Depending on what model and features, for sure...

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
Compare the buyout amount to the fair market value. Also, you are basically buying a used car so you won't have any warranty left (unless you buy extended) and your APR may be higher than it is now.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
$1,615? That can't be right.

The residual on my Autobahn is 17,xxx.

That's what it says.
It's an '11 (leased Dec.2010) 4door, base with sunroof, plus DSG.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Compare the buyout amount to the fair market value. Also, you are basically buying a used car so you won't have any warranty left (unless you buy extended) and your APR may be higher than it is now.

Yes, thank you - I've started to do a bit of browsing on the subject now, and just what you said is true.
I've got a year to mull this over.

It's either:
Purchase my car - it is Shadow Blue after all, I would then probably go stage one, maybe an exhaust...
Insurance should be lower.

Lease a '14 GTI which will be a MK6.

Lease a CC, GLI...

If the 7 was going to be in the showroom I would have gone that route.

There is really nothing outside of VW in this price range - and that suites my requirements - that I like right now.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
You can call VW Credit at any time and they will tell you your current purchase price. Remember when purchasing your leased VW, there is a purchase option fee ($350) and you may have to pay sales tax on the purchase price. I too have a 2011 GTI and am 2 years into the lease. I will likely buy my GTI or unmodify it and return it.