GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MK6 Paint Question

mattpower

I recently bought a used Japanese import Golf which had plastic wind deflectors attached to the doors. They were all attached with double sided foam tape and came off easily, except for one spot where the previous owner must have used superglue or similar. While removing, it's left a residue of approx 1cm x 5cm on the passenger door frame.

The sensible thing to do would be to give it to a bodyshop to fix, but I think this glue residue could be removed with some patient wet and dry and perhaps a polish but I'm cautious that I could go through the paint quite easily as it's quite uneven.

The paint code for the car is LC9X which is a metallic deep black but the section around the doorframe looks like a more basic gloss black and I figure if I do need to retouch the paint here I'll need to get some of this paint as well as a suitable primer and lacquer.

Firstly, does anyone know what paints I'll need to do this is and secondly, once I've bought them all as well as the fine grit paper and bought a polisher etc, would it be worth just giving it to a bodyshop?

Based in Auckland, New Zealand if it's helpful.

mattpower

Image of the area in question …

Attachments

• IMG_20171029_173941.jpg
    IMG_20171029_173941.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 339

CHerna

Ready to race!
I could be wrong here, but I think those pieces are actually plastic and can come off easily.

zrickety

The Fixer
You might get lucky using rubbing alcohol and a blue scotch brite without damaging it.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
To fit it you need to open the rear window and door the pull away the rubber seal in the glass channel and also the strip at the top of the door/bottom of glass intersection, this will reveal 3 torx screws in the window channel if I remember correctly then it’s just a case of fiddling with it until it comes off, fitting is just the same but in reverse, you might have to mess with the rubber that seals the rear door up to the front door too but I can’t remember as it may have just slipped under that piece!

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE SCREWS INTO THE DOOR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattpower

Thanks so much guys, that's really helpful and looks like it will be much less of a job than expected. Much appreciated.