GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Priced from $33,900* in the U.S.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Comparing the two different 200 hp engine versions, yes, you are mostly correct.

-TSI has an updated PCV system
-TSI has a gear type timing chain (vs belt)
-TSI has updated high pressure fuel pump/cam lobe design
-TSI has a non-timing belt/chain driven water pump (vs timing belt driven)
-TSI has a one piece intake manifold and flap setup (vs separate flap motor)
-TSI has a vacuum controlled intake flap (vs electronic)
-TSI has an IHI manufactured K03 turbo (vs. manufactured by Borg Warner) exact same spec. to FSI K03

The Golf R engine is based on the older "FSI" engine, but still has upgrades over the 200 hp K03 version.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Comparing the two different 200 hp engine versions, yes, you are mostly correct.

The Golf R engine is based on the older "FSI" engine, but still has upgrades over the 200 hp K03 version.

So basically, the golf R is going to be using almost the same engine that the S3 has been using all along? Another question, do audi 2.0t owners have the same issues that mk5 FSI owners have? (never been to an audi forum)

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
So basically, the golf R is going to be using almost the same engine that the S3 has been using all along? Another question, do audi 2.0t owners have the same issues that mk5 FSI owners have? (never been to an audi forum)

Yes, the engine is EXACTLY the same mechanically as all the following existing applications:

Audi S3
Audi TTS
Seat Leon Cupra R
Scirocco R

All EA113/FSI engines are susceptible to cam follower wear/failure issues!

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Yes, the engine is EXACTLY the same mechanically as all the following existing applications:

Audi S3
Audi TTS
Seat Leon Cupra R
Scirocco R

All EA113/FSI engines are susceptible to cam follower wear/failure issues!

:thumbsup:

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Told the internet sales guy at a local dealership that I'd wait for the R just to get him off my back. 'Cuz obviously I've purchased my GTI already. I know, I should just tell him I already bought it but it was the first thing that came to mind.:laugh:

He responded with an email saying they had just ordered their first R and it would arrive sometime in January. A blue 2 door w/ sunroof and nav.

Uberryan

Banned
Biggest differences between the TSI and FSI, is that the TSI has the timing chain, so less possibility of failure, over the FSI's inferior belt driven timing system.

Also, balance shafts incorporated into the center of the block on either side. The goal for this is to improve the accoustic behavior as well as the mid- to high-end vibration. This will help wear and tear long term for any attached part as well as internal engine block parts. Also to help with crankcase ventilation.

engine block: aside from the fact that the engine block is shared with the new 1.8L engine of the same family ( hence "world engine") it has been build for higher average internal pressures up to 25 Bar. That in turn allows for higher specific power output of greater 100kW/L and 175Nm/L. The current BPY engine is by far not built for that.

fuel pump is driven of a 4 lobe exhaust cam

completely overhauled engine management, and efficiency. engine block vs crankshaft: to prevent longterm warping Audi/VW used a metal composition with almost identical expansion coefficients 13.17 and 13.26 um/mK. This has been an issue with the bearings at high power output and high temperature.

The head is aluminum and has a different characteristic. To minimize stress between both parts they used highly complex FEM Model to optimize the mounting points and add better, more even distribution of the stress points. That's a major improvement for the gaskets and for the head mounts (bolts). The old FSI engine wasn't optimized that well.

Waterpump and thermostat housing was removed from the block because of the lack of structurell support. But all oil and oil return paths , blow-by paths and chain housing was integrated. The engine is lighter, shorter, better to maintain due to an overall lower component count for the engine. Keep in mind, this engine is also cheaper to manufacture (one of the main goals) as well as being manufacturable all over the world (in the US as well). This engine was actually a co-developent of Audi and a steel plant (sounds funny I know, but they have the knowledge of HOW to make it). This was not constructed by VW.

Waterpump looks like an easy replacement job for when it does go in the higher miles. Oil filter is easily accessible, easiest I've ever seen on any VAG car, to be honest.