GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: SAI Delete on CBFA Engine

joeeee

Ready to race!
i dont see how this is not on my car. i'm from cali where we have the strictest emissions laws in the USA and my car didnt have this stock. weird.

Ian/XEms

Passed Driver's Ed
That's weird. Maybe you got one with the other engine code somehow? Although I thought they only sold the CBFA ones here.

Dave!

Ready to race!
brought this over from the thread on vortex:
Just saw this thread... I'm modifying the 1.8T plate design to suit today and ordering material, we should be able to fit it into our production schedule in the next 2-3 weeks. I'd expect them finished up in a month or so.

OP: Shoot me an email when you see them come out if you want, I'll swing you one for the effort. :thumbup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm curious about this as well. I wonder if there is any VAGCOM coding to eliminate it.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
I love when people complain about modifying an enthusiast's cars emission systems (not just this thread but modifying cars in general)

Take a look at how much pollution commercial disel trucks make (that are not required to smog) or the astronomically high levels of pollution from varios factories and refineries.

If the average joe started modifying and or removing emission systems on their daily driven cars just for the hell of it we would have a problem.
The aftermarket tuners must consist of far less than 1% of the road going cars.

I agree; removal of a catalytic converter is absolutely asinine for your personal health. Any aftermarket dp should be ordered with a high flow cat, if catted dp's are to expensive than modifying a car's exhaust system should be the last of ones concerns.

Felt like beating a dead horse because work is boring today.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I love when people complain about modifying an enthusiast's cars emission systems (not just this thread but modifying cars in general)

I love it when anyone argues about emissions on any car, enthusiast or not (there really isn't a difference) and they obviously have A) No idea what they are talking about and B) have no idea about pretty much anything most likely. Attacking anyone for removing the SAI when they have no idea what it does or why it's only on some cars is just foolish.

If the average joe started modifying and or removing emission systems on their daily driven cars just for the hell of it we would have a problem.

Agreed, and the point about CATs is on the mark IMHO, but the SAI is pointless. 97% of emissions laws have nothing to do with actual pollution (particulates and carcinogens) and more focused on the so called greenhouse gases of CO2 (you know, it makes up less than 1% of all gases in our atmosphere, plants use it to create oxygen, and we use that to breath LOL) and of course, the ultimate goal; bureaucracy and government pensions. A CAT serves a purpose, it converts carcinogenesis into CO2 and cleans up the emissions. SAI does nothing REAL, I am supprised it is still around, but of course, as I said, emissions laws have nothing to do with emissions.

We call it Secondary Air Injection (SAI) now, but it's been around since the 60s and 70s, it was called a "smog pump" back then. The auto manufacturers came up with it to achieve the ridiculous emissions laws passed back then. The government (mostly CA, as always) mandated a certain emissions requirement that was impossible to achieve with the technology available. The car makers came up with an idea.....they could not reduce the emissions from the engine that exited the tailpipe, but the tests are all based on PPM (Parts Per Million) which means it measures all the air coming out and determines the percentage. What they COULD do is change the AMOUNT of air coming out the tailpipe. The smog pump (SAI) injects outside fresh air into the exhaust.....there is some minimal increase of combustion and assist to the CAT, but the main reason was pumping fresh air into the exhaust meant more fresh air in the exhaust......which means a lower percentage of emissions in the tested air. :lol:

And the hippies fell for it, loved it, and here we are still using it.

Any one delusional enough to believe that VW (or any car maker) is designing and building two DIFFERENT emissions systems that do the SAME thing for sale in states like CA and NY and other pockets of emissions strict areas are poster children for the public school system. :rolleyes: ;)

I can buy a CCTA GTI out of state, drive it in, and take it to any smog test and pass the sniffer tests, no problem. So why have the SAI??

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
Integrated Engineering now has an SAI block off plate specific to the 2.0T TSI engine:
http://www.intengineering.com/billet-accessories/2-0t-tsi-sai-block-off-plate.html

P

plac

Integrated Engineering now has an SAI block off plate specific to the 2.0T TSI engine:
http://www.intengineering.com/billet-accessories/2-0t-tsi-sai-block-off-plate.html

Note about check engine lights: There are two codes which may come up for this, one can be solved by adding a resistor to the circuit for the solenoid control valve, the other- for "incorrect flow detected" can only be defeated by software!

There IS no software that will delete emission fault codes.... meaning if you do this, you have a permanent CEL.

2010GTi Carbon

Ready to race!
Agreed, and the point about CATs is on the mark IMHO, but the SAI is pointless. 97% of emissions laws have nothing to do with actual pollution (particulates and carcinogens) and more focused on the so called greenhouse gases of CO2 (you know, it makes up less than 1% of all gases in our atmosphere, plants use it to create oxygen, and we use that to breath LOL) and of course, the ultimate goal; bureaucracy and government pensions. A CAT serves a purpose, it converts carcinogenesis into CO2 and cleans up the emissions. SAI does nothing REAL, I am supprised it is still around, but of course, as I said, emissions laws have nothing to do with emissions.

We call it Secondary Air Injection (SAI) now, but it's been around since the 60s and 70s, it was called a "smog pump" back then. The auto manufacturers came up with it to achieve the ridiculous emissions laws passed back then. The government (mostly CA, as always) mandated a certain emissions requirement that was impossible to achieve with the technology available. The car makers came up with an idea.....they could not reduce the emissions from the engine that exited the tailpipe, but the tests are all based on PPM (Parts Per Million) which means it measures all the air coming out and determines the percentage. What they COULD do is change the AMOUNT of air coming out the tailpipe. The smog pump (SAI) injects outside fresh air into the exhaust.....there is some minimal increase of combustion and assist to the CAT, but the main reason was pumping fresh air into the exhaust meant more fresh air in the exhaust......which means a lower percentage of emissions in the tested air. :lol:

And the hippies fell for it, loved it, and here we are still using it.

Any one delusional enough to believe that VW (or any car maker) is designing and building two DIFFERENT emissions systems that do the SAME thing for sale in states like CA and NY and other pockets of emissions strict areas are poster children for the public school system. :rolleyes: ;)

I can buy a CCTA GTI out of state, drive it in, and take it to any smog test and pass the sniffer tests, no problem. So why have the SAI??

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
2 fault codes from the SAI Delete

009266 - Secondary. Air Inj. Sys. Flow/Pressure Sens Bank 1
P2432 - 000 - Short to Ground - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 30966 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.14.02
Time: 14:42:46

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Load: 0.0 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 60.0∞C
Temperature: 45.0∞C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 12.192 V

005170 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)
P1432 - 000 - Open Circuit - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 30966 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.14.02
Time: 14:44:58

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1188 /min
Load: 15.3 %