GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about oil temp/level sensor

DerGolfGTI

Hi Guys,

I'm interested in adding an oil level / oil temp sensor to my US Golf R. I believe this is a standard feature in some other markets which have flexible service intervals. The US cars do not come with the "TOG" sensor which locates in the bottom of the oil pan, but its relatively easy to get a pan with a hole and the sensor.

My question has to do with wiring. Does anyone have any idea where the sensor wiring connects to the car's harness? The sensor itself has three wires (switched power, ground and a signal wire which ultimately connects to the instrument cluster), but I don't have any kind of wiring diagram for this stuff - just curious if anyone might have any information.

Thanks!!

DerGolfGTI

Maybe a more basic question to start: anyone know which Golf Rs (countries) come with an oil temp display on the MFD? US cars do not..

Thanks!

John Y1

Ready to race!
It does on the German version, the GTI does here as well. I just searched this topic because I would love to hook this up on my US-spec GTI. So far, most people seem to have reached a dead end on this. Noticed it on the R I test drove today, and recalled that I haven't had this on a car since my old Corrado.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
check your dipstick every other week, you dont need a oil sensor to tell you if your oil is low.

John Y1

Ready to race!
It's a temp sensor and display that is available in other markets.

But all of our cars are at least equipped with warning buzzers and lights should pressure or level drop unsafely while driving.

John Y1

Ready to race!
To the OP: I suggest you contact Zeb or any of the other guys at 1stvwparts.com (Auburn VW) in WA. They should have access to all the diagrams and part numbers, though they may or may not be able to get the parts themselves. They helped me out a lot when I needed some Euro parts for my headlight washer install before I shipped my car to Germany (mandatory on cars with Xenons here.) Post back here if you get it, I'd like to know how much it would cost.

EDIT: I saw the thread on the Vortex that identified the part numbers. OP -why is the Audi part # for the sensor (06E 907 660) identified as a level sensor? Is it a multifunction piece? The diagram for the TT-S oil pan only shows the one hole for the so-called level sensor, just as a US GTI has. I'd be interested in doing this, potentially; the price doesn't seem prohibitive so if anyone can shed further light it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DerGolfGTI

To the OP: I suggest you contact Zeb or any of the other guys at 1stvwparts.com (Auburn VW) in WA. They should have access to all the diagrams and part numbers, though they may or may not be able to get the parts themselves. They helped me out a lot when I needed some Euro parts for my headlight washer install before I shipped my car to Germany (mandatory on cars with Xenons here.) Post back here if you get it, I'd like to know how much it would cost.

EDIT: I saw the thread on the Vortex that identified the part numbers. OP -why is the Audi part # for the sensor (06E 907 660) identified as a level sensor? Is it a multifunction piece? The diagram for the TT-S oil pan only shows the one hole for the so-called level sensor, just as a US GTI has. I'd be interested in doing this, potentially; the price doesn't seem prohibitive so if anyone can shed further light it would be appreciated.

That part number 06E-907-660 is used with several different engines and yes, while its called an "oil level sensor" is also is used to measure temperature. In fact, the way is measures level is through temperature - the sensor is heated and depending on how long it takes to cool, the ECU determines if the sensor is immersed in oil or not.

And as you indicated, I'm not really so interested in the oil level indicator, I'm interested in the oil temperature.

I'm ordering the parts today, I'll let you know how it goes. At this point I'm just trying to decide if I will order a factory part of the wiring loom/harness or whether I'll build my own with connectors and wires.

John Y1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the insight and keep us posted - I could be interested in doing this, depending on the cost. One other question - does that mean that oil level sensor in our cars is the same, and DOES have the temp function, or have I misunderstood? And if the pan needs only the one opening, is the TT-/Euro version the same then, or still different?

OK that was two questions, but I'm:confused:

DerGolfGTI

Thanks for the insight and keep us posted - I could be interested in doing this, depending on the cost. One other question - does that mean that oil level sensor in our cars is the same, and DOES have the temp function, or have I misunderstood? And if the pan needs only the one opening, is the TT-/Euro version the same then, or still different?

OK that was two questions, but I'm:confused:

For the Golf R, as well as other cars, VW makes two pans - one pan with a hole and mounting points for the TOG sensor (as this is called), and one pan which is solid. The pan with the hole (hopefully I ordered the right one) was found in the US ETKA and I just ordered it through my local dealer here in the US. Same with the sensor. There are other models of VWs/Audis in the US which have this system, just not the Golf R and the parts apply to several models of cars.

Yes, that is correct - there is one physical sensor which performs both functions - provides oil temperature and warns of a low oil level. This data is communicated back to the instrument cluster. And using this data, the instrument cluster could be setup to give flexible, rather than fixed, service intervals. So instead of getting a message every 5000 thousand miles saying its time to change your oil, you'd get a message at varying intervals based on how the car has been driven.

The guys over in the TDI Forum posted the below link which explains the system on Mk4 cars, and I believe its largely the same on the Mk6.

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/Misc/VW_Service_Interval_Extension_SelfStudyGuide_224.pdf

I'm doing this primarily for the oil temp display - I didn't plan to use the flexible service intervals myself. My Mk3 Golf GTI VR6 has oil temp displayed in the MFI and its nice to have. I realize its a lot cheaper to hook up a separate gauge, but I'd like to see if I can get this to work as it does on non-US Golf Rs.

DerGolfGTI

Completed this modification.

I've posted notes from the install on vortex, but basically it consisted of three parts:

1. Replacing the US servotronic wiring harness with a version which had wires going to the oil sensor.

2. Running three new wires from a connector near the driver's side headlight to inside the car to power, ground and the instrument cluster.

3. Replacing the stock US oil pan with a version which has a hole in it for the oil sensor and then bolting in the sensor and using VCDS/VAG-COM to tell the cluster it now has an oil sensor connected.

All parts were available in the US from my local dealer. I did this over two days (one day to replace the harness and wire everything, one day to replace the pan, install the sensor). Nothing was terribly difficult, but I had the advantage of autofi doing it first and being able to ask him lots of silly questions ahead of time. He gets the credit for figuring out the missing parts and doing this first.

This mod wasn't cheap - it ran about $500 in parts. There are other way to get oil temps in your car - you could probably install a stand-alone gauge for a fraction of that price. But its nice to have an OEM setup like the rest of the world, and its still cheaper than LED tails :)

John Y1

Ready to race!
Saw the write-up on Vortex; congrats - that was nice work. I am impressed, and would certainly love to have this OEM function in my GTI, but I don't know if I love it quite that much given the costs and effort involved. Bookmarked for later reference just in case, though;)

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Us spec dont have oil temp in mfi :confused: VOA :thumbdown: really sometimes I just don't understand them