GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Highway Tires

Golf R APR

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I'm at about 42k miles on my 12' GTI and I'm in desperate need of new tires. (Yes, I am still on the original Pirellis.) This morning I found a nail in the right rear tire and it's in there pretty deep. (Sorry, wouldn't let me post a pic.) I do a lot traveling, mostly highway miles, in and around the Southwest. (I live in Arizona.) Hot ass hell. :thumbdown: I'm looking for a nice quiet and soft ride, not really looking for performance right now. So my question is what are the best tires for me? Not sure whether to get the Pirellis again, I know you guys hate those. Sorry if there are threads on this already, thanks in advance. :)

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Michellin Pilot Sport A/S/3s. they have great reviews. i plan on getting some very soon. they have a 45k mile guarantee also.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Well I'm at about 42k miles on my 12' GTI and I'm in desperate need of new tires. (Yes, I am still on the original Pirellis.) This morning I found a nail in the right rear tire and it's in there pretty deep. (Sorry, wouldn't let me post a pic.) I do a lot traveling, mostly highway miles, in and around the Southwest. (I live in Arizona.) Hot ass hell. :thumbdown: I'm looking for a nice quiet and soft ride, not really looking for performance right now. So my question is what are the best tires for me? Not sure whether to get the Pirellis again, I know you guys hate those. Sorry if there are threads on this already, thanks in advance. :)

Continental Extreme Contact DWS or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
A/S3 are performance oriented. Conti DWS should do the trick.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
You absolutely do not need an all season tire in AZ. I highly suggest the conti DW or TOYO t1R sport tire. They are both exceptional tires, superbly quiet (the toyo's were quieter on my car) last a long time and give a nice ride(again I would rate the TOYO just slightly ahead of the conti)

Please trust me on this, not needing the all season part, I live in Washington state, it rains half the year and snows here too, the DW's and t1R's did fine all year long, and actually i feel like the t1r's are the best tire ive ever driven on in the rain they blow through puddles like nothing's there, didn't even get that bad in snow, ice, that's a whole different story.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
You absolutely do not need an all season tire in AZ. I highly suggest the conti DW or TOYO t1R sport tire. They are both exceptional tires, superbly quiet (the toyo's were quieter on my car) last a long time and give a nice ride(again I would rate the TOYO just slightly ahead of the conti)

Please trust me on this, not needing the all season part, I live in Washington state, it rains half the year and snows here too, the DW's and t1R's did fine all year long, and actually i feel like the t1r's are the best tire ive ever driven on in the rain they blow through puddles like nothing's there, didn't even get that bad in snow, ice, that's a whole different story.

Has nothing to do with A/S vs Summer. DWS have a softer ride and last longer than DW.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
A/S3 are performance oriented. Conti DWS should do the trick.

Both are performance oriented tires. That being said touring style tires in 225/40R18 are few and far between; the options that do exist are not very compelling. You are correct, the ride is certainly better with the DWS with the level of steering response and dry grip being noticeably higher with the A/S3.

O-III

Ready to race!
Both are performance oriented tires. That being said touring style tires in 225/40R18 are few and far between; the options that do exist are not very compelling. You are correct, the ride is certainly better with the DWS with the level of steering response and dry grip being noticeably higher with the A/S3.

Hey Sonny, what do you recommend in a 17" either all season or summer? The stock tires are Continental ContiPros. I have a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup for our great white north winters.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Hey Sonny, what do you recommend in a 17" either all season or summer? The stock tires are Continental ContiPros. I have a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup for our great white north winters.

I have a set of ContiPro's on my 17" Goals for my Golf R. While they are fine for dedicated highway miles they suck at cornering! And they are rated very poorly in light snow.

Glad I picked up the set used!

I will be going with the A/S 3 next.

I'm in the north also but use dedicated summer tires (RE-11) for fun days!

I was amazed at how well the P Zero Nero tires did in the snow last year,, and we got a lot of snow! I guess the AWD helped a lot though.

Edit: I see you have a GTI, when I had my 10 GTI I ran Conti DW in the summer and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and had zero issues driving in a blizzard!

Last edited:

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com

Depends on your driving style, but Generally a set of summers and a set of winters will give you the best of both worlds.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion

Lol both of these tires have sub 300 utqg. An all season is the best choice just for tire wear alone. I think the DWS and AS3 are both 500+.

If the OP can get 40k out of the stockers he will easily get 60 out of either of those choices.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

Golf R APR

Passed Driver's Ed
Kinda left this thread in the dark.... I'm at 45k now and I made an appointment for next week to change the tires. I finally decided on the DWS. They fit my bill and they have a good warranty. :thumbup: