GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I get the feeling they don't care too. Arin's been avoiding this thread pretty well. You don't see John with Unitronic or Alex with Stratified neglecting their threads. Even though Noodle posted this thread in a new APR thread that was just made he made no effort to stop in here and offer any support.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Arin's been avoiding this thread pretty well.

Hey guys, this thread is massive. I don't really read it unless someone PMs me a link. Also, just to set expectations accordingly, I'm not a part of our support team and we don't really use the forums for support at all. With hundreds of forums, platforms and facebook groups to follow, it's just not possible.

However, we do have a dedicated support team on staff that is here to give you personalized support. Just email support@goapr.com and they'll take it from there.

Thank you!

-Arin

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Poked the bear!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Hey guys, this thread is massive. I don't really read it unless someone PMs me a link. Also, just to set expectations accordingly, I'm not a part of our support team and we don't really use the forums for support at all. With hundreds of forums, platforms and facebook groups to follow, it's just not possible.

However, we do have a dedicated support team on staff that is here to give you personalized support. Just email support@goapr.com and they'll take it from there.

Thank you!

-Arin

It's cool, that's what I had expected. It's been a bit of a departure from a couple years ago but as we know practices and priorities change with time. Probably more efficient for you guys to stick to the support process APR has set up.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
It's been a bit of a departure from a couple years ago but as we know practices and priorities change with time.

Very true. Over the past couple years we've made support a top priority. Creating a dedicated team was the first step, along with a full blown ticket system so we could track issues, (both ours, and OEM related), so we could provide better support. It's always a work in progress, but our goal is to improve the experience. :thumbsup:

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Very true. Over the past couple years we've made support a top priority. Creating a dedicated team was the first step, along with a full blown ticket system so we could track issues, (both ours, and OEM related), so we could provide better support. It's always a work in progress, but our goal is to improve the experience. :thumbsup:

Arin, Ive done reserch but I was wondering, do you guys at apr suggest any certain clutch for stage 2 power levels?

tofuD01

Ready to race!
On v2.1 dyno at my tuners gave me 282whp/360ftlbs torque, and a year later at another dyno I got 265whp/429nm torqu on V2.4

I know dyno results varies but should vary by this much should it?
I've fitted DV+ and dogbone insert between the two Dyno runs.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
On v2.1 dyno at my tuners gave me 282whp/360ftlbs torque, and a year later at another dyno I got 265whp/429nm torqu on V2.4

I know dyno results varies but should vary by this much should it?
I've fitted DV+ and dogbone insert between the two Dyno runs.

what is your "butt" dyno saying??? does it feel less power on the updated 2.4??

reason i'm asking is that i want to do the update as well

tofuD01

Ready to race!
what is your "butt" dyno saying??? does it feel less power on the updated 2.4??

reason i'm asking is that i want to do the update as well

As everyone else says, 2.4 has more power/pull on the 5/6th gears.
Lower end has torque loss compared to stage 1 though. Just feels more drivable compared to clunky 2.1.

PDPritz

Go Kart Newbie
As everyone else says, 2.4 has more power/pull on the 5/6th gears.
Lower end has torque loss compared to stage 1 though. Just feels more drivable compared to clunky 2.1.

Did you get the high or low torque file?

I just updated from stage 1 to stage 2 2.4. Have both high and low loaded on to my ecu.

I can confirm the low file feels like a smoother and loses the power surge of stage 1 but pulls harder throughout the power band.

Now the stage 2 high file, is a completely different beast. Huge jump in low end power as you can tell from the APR dyno sheets and just keeps pulling and pulling through the rev band.

One happy customer :)

tofuD01

Ready to race!
I have both high and low, the thing is had v2.4 update done in december but i didnt get an update email from APR to say it has been updated.

Usually the map 1 is high file and map 2 is the low file. I usually have it set to 1..

Dont have the dongle so i use the stalk to change..however switched to map 2 and it felt so much better. I dont want to fork out another £60 to dyno it again so will just hope for the best come drag day!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Boost control issue.

When rapidly going from cruise to WOT in gears 3 and higher, I'm still seeing a significant boost oscillation coupled by a surging feeling in acceleration. The needle on my boost gauge will spike to ~15 psi, come back to 12 psi, shoot up to 18 psi, the come back to 15 psi, then finally climb to or past 20 psi all in the space of 1.5 seconds or so, which makes the car feel incredibly laggy even at >3500 RPM.

It seems like there's way too much derivative gain on the boost PID control system. Excessive derivative gain can cause any control system to repeatedly undershoot and oscillate until steady-state is reached.

Anyone else observe something similar?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Boost control issue.

When rapidly going from cruise to WOT in gears 3 and higher, I'm still seeing a significant boost oscillation coupled by a surging feeling in acceleration. The needle on my boost gauge will spike to ~15 psi, come back to 12 psi, shoot up to 18 psi, the come back to 15 psi, then finally climb to or past 20 psi all in the space of 1.5 seconds or so, which makes the car feel incredibly laggy even at >3500 RPM.

It seems like there's way too much derivative gain on the boost PID control system. Excessive derivative gain can cause any control system to repeatedly undershoot and oscillate until steady-state is reached.

Anyone else observe something similar?

Sounds a lot like the issue I had, couple other people have posted about it as well. My fix for it was to switch tunes. APR will tell you to put in a support ticket. I'm not sure if APR has actually fixed this issue for anybody yet though. There's at least a couple people that posted in this thread that have the issue, are still running APR, and put in a ticket, but I haven't seen anybody saying their surgey 2.4 tune is now smooth or even that APR is working with them to fix it.

Not everybody has this issue, but if you do I'm pretty confident in saying it's an issue with the tune so you need to either get APR to fix it or move on from APR.