GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What tune do you guys run on Canadian gas?

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone,

My 2012 GTI is currently on an APR Stage 2 93 Octane file, I bounce between BC and Alberta often, when in BC I run Chevron 94 and in AB I run Petro Canada 94, but I have been told a few times now that our gas sucks and I should probably run a 91 Map even if I plan on putting claimed "94" in the tank.

The tune was done by previous owner, so I think I will have to pay the ~$150 fee to change it into my name in APR's view and then pay for the new map, no idea how much that would be. Do you think its unsafe to be running my car on a 93 Map here in Canada, or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advanced!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Canadian gas will be the US equivalent or better.
Dunno about that one.

lived in BC so I've run Chevron and stay the hell away from Esso. Now I'm in Toronto and I run Petro, Shell and Costco 91 and find no difference with my APR stage 1 tune though I'm dubious that it's really 91.

When I go stage 2 I will stay on the 91 file though cuz carbon tax kills my vibe

I can tell the difference in performance between winter and summer gas though. No idea why there's even a winter gas.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Canadian gas will be the US equivalent or better.

From what I have heard its been proven many many times that even though most of our gas is refined in the U.S. what ends up up here is worse quality than what you guys get, even if its octane rating and branding says its the same.

lived in BC so I've run Chevron and stay the hell away from Esso. Now I'm in Toronto and I run Petro, Shell and Costco 91 and find no difference with my APR stage 1 tune though I'm dubious that it's really 91.

When I go stage 2 I will stay on the 91 file though cuz carbon tax kills my vibe

I can tell the difference in performance between winter and summer gas though. No idea why there's even a winter gas.

Costco gas is apparently actually quite good! If I where on a 91 tune I would seriously consider it, and I think winter gas has something to do with putting more anti freezing and moisture additives in, I for sure notice a difference on winter gas as well, at least my fuel economy does! Between winter tires having more rolling resistance and winter gas I get about 34mpg in summer and only 28mpg in winter!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
think winter gas has something to do with putting more anti freezing and moisture additives in, I for sure notice a difference on winter gas as well, at least my fuel economy does! Between winter tires having more rolling resistance and winter gas I get about 34mpg in summer and only 28mpg in winter!
That's what I mean today's sophisticated machines need an anti freeze in the gas? I highly doubt today's gas tanks have enough moisture to freeze the pumps or lines.p but I'm no expert..

Winter gas.... snort... It kills my fuel economy!!!

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been running Unitronic Stage 1+ (93 octane) for 3 years straight, track + city driving, with Petro 94 Ultra. Haven't had any noticeable octane-related issues.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Petro-Canada 94 on Unitronic stage 2.
Runs perfectly ✔️

I've been running Unitronic Stage 1+ (93 octane) for 3 years straight, track + city driving, with Petro 94 Ultra. Haven't had any noticeable octane-related issues.

Good to know that the Petro Canada 94 is working well for you guys! Reassuring that your cars have been running well for years on that stuff!

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone,

My 2012 GTI is currently on an APR Stage 2 93 Octane file, I bounce between BC and Alberta often, when in BC I run Chevron 94 and in AB I run Petro Canada 94, but I have been told a few times now that our gas sucks and I should probably run a 91 Map even if I plan on putting claimed "94" in the tank.

The tune was done by previous owner, so I think I will have to pay the ~$150 fee to change it into my name in APR's view and then pay for the new map, no idea how much that would be. Do you think its unsafe to be running my car on a 93 Map here in Canada, or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advanced!

Ultra 94 always. Or race gas. On APR K04 93 file. No issues yet. I did try running ultra 94 and straight methanol injection on the race gas file and had some knock and timing pull.

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
I'll try and keep this short

I live in BC, and have done a lot of research on our gas compared to the us and other parts of Canada. Chevron 94 is not a 94 here, it's closer to a 91, I've pulled a lot of timing with Chev 94 on uni stage 2 93. I live close by enough to the border that I can fill up with Chevron 92 in sumas, wa, and I get next to no timing pull, at the most on winter gas -3, rest of the year it's either 0 or -0.5. The rest of Canada apparently has no issue, unitronic tunes on ultra 94 hence why ultra 94 works so well. I'm not saying anyone should take my word for this and if you want an unbiased confirmation of this call up any major tuner in BC, racing greed, hpa, Malone tuning, stratified automotive, etc. There's a lot of research on rev scene about this tune.

Tldr: if you're running a 93 tune in BC, you're probably pulling timing on Chev 94.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
I went and talked to the local APR dealer today, I think what I am going to do is add program switching to the car, and keep a stock, 91, and 93 tune in. Ill probably run the 93 tune here in Alberta, the 91 tune in BC, and then just nice to have the stock tune just in case I ever need it. Total cost will be about $400, but should be worth it to save car in long run from pulling timing like crazy on BC gas!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Petro Canada 94 on Unitronic Stage 2 for almost two years; no issues!