GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What car did you almost get over the GTI.

C4L

Banned
I was leaning towards waiting for the 2013 Ford Fusion, with its Aston-ish looks and high tech level. Two things stopped me: Ford's early estimates priced a loaded Fusion around $5k more than I was willing to spend, and test-driving the GTI Autobahn sold me immediately on it.

Something to keep in mind is that domestic cars have some of the (if not the) highest discounts/incentives in the business.

I have heard of people (already) getting $32k-$34k Fusions for well under $30k out the door.
A co-worker got a $28,xxx Malibu last year and paid a hair over $22k for it.
And someone I know got a $44,xxx LOADED Durango for $35k OTD.

I know for a 100% fact (from employees) that the Big 3 will knowingly overprice their vehicles and then offer larger discounts to induce sales of the car. People who don't any different think they are getting a great deal when in reality the car was just overpriced and paid what it was actually worth.

Paying $22k for a car priced at $28k sounds better to customers than paying $22k for a car that should have been priced (and is worth) $25k.

You don't get that with a GTI. Next time around, don't let the MSRP scare you off. Chances are you can get an good deal on an otherwise overpriced car.

MOST of the domestic cars (even seen it with Z06/ZR1) are offered at large discounts. Figure 12-15% off MSRP. VW is about 6-8% on average.

$30,000 GTI at 7% off = $27,900
$32,000 Fusion at 13.5% off = $27,680

SEE...

This also makes sense when you actually look at the quality and corresponding prices of the domestic cars. I scratch my head many times trying to think how the domestics actually think their cars are worth as much as the MSRP indicates. I just have to remember that something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. And people who buy domestics aren't willing to pay very much for those cars...

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
Was super close to a CPO MKV R32. My cousin came in from Germany and taught me stick since I really wanted to learn. She taught me on a Yaris and maybe a month later I got the GTI. And I'm really glad I did. :)

Dybz

Banned
Was super close to a CPO MKV R32. My cousin came in from Germany and taught me stick since I really wanted to learn. She taught me on a Yaris and maybe a month later I got the GTI. And I'm really glad I did. :)

is she hot? i'll let her drive my stick any day if so.

sorry, had to.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Something to keep in mind is that domestic cars have some of the (if not the) highest discounts/incentives in the business.

I have heard of people (already) getting $32k-$34k Fusions for well under $30k out the door.
A co-worker got a $28,xxx Malibu last year and paid a hair over $22k for it.
And someone I know got a $44,xxx LOADED Durango for $35k OTD.

I know for a 100% fact (from employees) that the Big 3 will knowingly overprice their vehicles and then offer larger discounts to induce sales of the car. People who don't any different think they are getting a great deal when in reality the car was just overpriced and paid what it was actually worth.

Paying $22k for a car priced at $28k sounds better to customers than paying $22k for a car that should have been priced (and is worth) $25k.

You don't get that with a GTI. Next time around, don't let the MSRP scare you off. Chances are you can get an good deal on an otherwise overpriced car.

MOST of the domestic cars (even seen it with Z06/ZR1) are offered at large discounts. Figure 12-15% off MSRP. VW is about 6-8% on average.

$30,000 GTI at 7% off = $27,900
$32,000 Fusion at 13.5% off = $27,680

SEE...

This also makes sense when you actually look at the quality and corresponding prices of the domestic cars. I scratch my head many times trying to think how the domestics actually think their cars are worth as much as the MSRP indicates. I just have to remember that something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. And people who buy domestics aren't willing to pay very much for those cars...

A loaded 2013 Fusion is going to get close to $37,000 though, and I don't think they'll be cutting them as much as the current Fusion.

C4L

Banned
A loaded 2013 Fusion is going to get close to $37,000 though, and I don't think they'll be cutting them as much as the current Fusion.

A 100% loaded 237hp 2.0 Ecoboost AWD Fusion is $38,170...

A 365hp AWD Taurus SHO is priced from $39,300
A 305hp AWD Acura TL SH-AWD is priced from $39,255
A 300hp AWD S60 T6 is priced from $38,450
A 280hp VW CC is priced from $37,730
A 270hp Cadillac ATS is priced from $37,590
A 330hp Infiniti G37 is priced from $36,400
A 280hp Acura TL is priced from $35,705
A 292hp Chrysler 300 Limited AWD is priced from $35,020
A 270hp Regal GS is priced from $34,835
A 333hp Genesis 3.8 is priced from $34,200
A 290hp Nissan Maxima is priced from $32,420
A 293hp Hyundai Azera is price from $32,000
A 250hp Volvo S60 is priced from $31,300
A 220hp Buick Turbo is priced from $31,145
A 200hp VW CC is priced from $30,250
A 201hp Acura TSX is priced from $30,010

Anyone PAYING over $32k or so for ANY Fusion is dumb. Ford knows this too. And this isn't even including any of the luxury brands (just premium cars, which the Fusion still isn't) like the IS250, A4, 328i, and C250 that can be had for under $40k as well with a few options.

My favorite;
A4 2.0T A/T Quattro Premium w/ Sytle Pack, 18" Wheels, Convenience Pack, Htd. Seats - $38,825. JUST $655 more than the loaded AWD Fusion...

I know for a fact (from people who already have them) they are going to hit lots with $2k-$4k in incentives...

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion

I don't dispute the discount game on a lot of the mainstream domestic cars, I know when I buy I usually have very little problem negotiating a "good deal". If it was your business and you didn't have to pay tariffs/importation/shipping fees for your product but the competitor did, would you just undercut the price automatically, or would you negotiate on a per-unit basis and possibly make more profit?

However, I think the Corvette comparison is a little off, even though I did save about 17.5% on mine. Most cars with low production numbers have high markups.

On the Corvettes, when the model year is coming to a close (really heats up about May as the plant closes in June for the next model year break) you will see the discounts to move inventory. Imagine how much the markup and importation costs on a GTI would be per vehicle if they made very few a year.

All of the 2012 Corvette models produced only totaled just under 12k cars, of that 478 were Z06's and 404 were ZR1's.

As you pretty much said in another post, MSRP is a joke in almost all cases unless you're dealing with an item that is selling faster than it is produced like many new models in the first months of production, or an ultra-rare super low production/custom car.

Cyclehobby

Passed Driver's Ed
Mini Cooper S. In the end, I think the GTI was a better value and a better car (just my opinion...). Very happy with my choice.

Blainestang

It came down to the GTI and a MINI... and the MINI won, in 2008.

Now that we actually needed the extra room, we picked up a '12 GTI, too!

tstahlGTI

The Volvo C30.... That is until I sat in it.. It was like Apple or IKEA designed a car ..

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Audi a3