GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 09-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #309
franco516
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfla View Post
I am very interested in finding out it they are going to refund me $861 bucks for replacing my water pump just last month for a coolant leak at the water pump. Please keep the thread going on this recall issue if its true. I keep all my receipts.

thanks
i got mine done today... it was free.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #310
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Quote:
I am very interested in finding out it they are going to refund me $861 bucks for replacing my water pump just last month for a coolant leak at the water pump. Please keep the thread going on this recall issue if its true. I keep all my receipts.

thanks
Do you have a cbfa engine code?
Pm me your vin and I can check for you.
jettaglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #311
gavinfla
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 GTI
Lucky you Hella, you are still under warranty for that job. I guess I was lucky to make it to 70K for my leak at the pump. There is always a reason for things to fail. So, I did some research for the coolant mixture ratio to see what its all about. I live in a warm climate so people don't pay that much attention with the coolant ratio, all they know is the boiling point, its under pressure so the boil point is higher. When I speak to the Service Writer about it, he says to just use it straight (Wrong). By reading the repair manual that is incorrect thinking. The correct mixture ratio prevents freezing and corrosion & calcium deposits (Hence damage to seals, parts & leaks) and the boiling point will be raised. Because of its higher boiling point, the coolant contributes to engine reliability under heavy engine loads, particularly in countries with tropical climates. So, don't let these mechanic and service writes fling-flang you into believing coolant ratios is not necessary.
Warm climates 50% coolant, and for colder climates 40% (its good to -13 deg) Hope I got it right.
Hope this was helpful
gavinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #312
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Lucky you Hella, you are still under warranty for that job. I guess I was lucky to make it to 70K for my leak at the pump. There is always a reason for things to fail. So, I did some research for the coolant mixture ratio to see what its all about. I live in a warm climate so people don't pay that much attention with the coolant ratio, all they know is the boiling point, its under pressure so the boil point is higher. When I speak to the Service Writer about it, he says to just use it straight (Wrong). By reading the repair manual that is incorrect thinking. The correct mixture ratio prevents freezing and corrosion & calcium deposits (Hence damage to seals, parts & leaks) and the boiling point will be raised. Because of its higher boiling point, the coolant contributes to engine reliability under heavy engine loads, particularly in countries with tropical climates. So, don't let these mechanic and service writes fling-flang you into believing coolant ratios is not necessary.
Warm climates 50% coolant, and for colder climates 40% (its good to -13 deg) Hope I got it right.
Hope this was helpful
g12/13 with 50/50 mix of distilled water is ideal for warm climates.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #313
gavinfla
Ready to race!

water pump leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglis View Post
I never saw any engine code for my leak, it was detected while they were investigating a oil leak coming from the rear engine seal and they did a pressure test to see if it held pleasure for (I think as a rule 2 minutes) Frankly I never saw any lost of coolant or codes or low warn lights.

Thanks jettaglis for the offer to check for cbfa engine code

Last edited by gavinfla; 09-26-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #314
jettaglis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '88 gli, '11 cc, '12 gti
Quote:
I never saw any engine code for my leak, it was detected while they were investigating a oil leak coming from the rear engine seal and they did a pressure test to see if it held pleasure for (I think as a rule 2 minutes) Frankly I never saw any lost of coolant or codes or low warn lights.

Thanks jettaglis for the offer to check for cbfa engine code
What I was referring to was the engine code cbfa had the recall for the water pumps not on the ccta engine codes though. A lot of time the water pump leaks occurs from oil collecting at the centering dowel at the top of the water pump. The cam cage leaks perfectly into it, swelling the seal causing the leak- I've even seen the water pumps cracked in that location as a result. If you had an oil leak from the rear main or wherever I would though a new pcv valve on there even if it checks ok.
jettaglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #315
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Quote:

thanks
you paid that much for a water pump replacement? WOW...talk about being ripped off.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #316
Fingolfin
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2014 GTI, CW DSG
Red face

My my pump replaced in May 2015 on my 2014 GTI at 23k miles. Replaced a -BB unite with a -BG unit. Now at 45k miles and occasionally smell that sickly sweet coolant odor outside the car when getting out. I keep checking the coolant level but it's staying at full. Hope it's not about to dump again. Due for an oil change soon so I'll have it looked over for a leak then.
Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #317
gavinfla
Ready to race!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglis View Post
I'm not sure on the engine code it was hard enough to find my chasis code for scanners (VCDS). But i checked with the VW recall people and other than intake manifold & injector pump extended waranty on those item till 2021 or 120 miles. But not on the coolant pump
Old 10-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #318
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

Drives: 10' TR GTI 6M and an E30 325 Turbo
I've gone through about 10 pages or so and can't seem to find a definitive answer, but is there any reason why the 2010's weren't covered under this extended warranty? I've never been able to understand that.
2010 TR GTI APR Stage 1 Fully Loaded, R8 coils, Rotiform 19's, Koni Coilovers, CTS subframe reinforcement kit, CTS Billet Torque Arm Insert, CTS rear subframe bushing kit, LED Golf R Tail Lights, Xenon Headlights, VCDS changes (DRL's, windows, gauge sweep, etc) and timing chain tensioner updated!
1987 BMW E30 325 Turbo - Too extensive to list.
BlueE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #319
Cyrok
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 10 GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueE30 View Post
I've gone through about 10 pages or so and can't seem to find a definitive answer, but is there any reason why the 2010's weren't covered under this extended warranty? I've never been able to understand that.
Yes indeed, i don't think i ever read anybody having issues with the 2010 model year... seems like the 2010 year has no issues with it's water pump, I wonder what the difference is?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk