GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTI vs GTI?

Noct27

This sounds stupid yes I know, but I'm buying some new brake pads for my 08 GTI and the auto shop clerk asked me if it was a golf GTI or a GTI and i asked if there was a difference and I could not purchase if i didnt know the right one (just in case i bought the wrong one for my car).

Is this true? I have a 4 door 2008 gti, im 99.9% its GTI cause it says GTI, but this clerk said its 4 doors it must be a golf. And at that point I kind of shrugged and realized this guy doesnt know what hes talking about and just said ill take my business elsewhere.

Or was he right and am i wrong, lol

Thanks

Gatanes

Ready to race!
Golf Gti is called in Europe and "just" Gti here in U.S and im 99% sure the brakes are the same... doesn't matter 2 or 4 doors.
Maybe the seller is wrong and the "Golf Gti" pads are from the regular golf...

If it is your first post you should tell something about you, your car... nice presentation to us.

MrBanananana

Ready to race!
You have a Golf GTI, which everyone just calls "GTI" for short. Technically speaking, GTI is a trim level for the Golf. But there is only one GTI, so there's no point in adding the "Golf" in front. That shop clerk has ZERO idea what he is talking about.

By the way, your car is a 2008, so that means it is a Mark 5 GTI. This basically just means that your car is the 5th generation of the GTI heritage. In case you want more information relavant to your car, these folks can probably help you out: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/

Not that we aren't happy to help here either :)

fkshtup

Ready to race!
Golf, Golf Gti , Golf R like
Subby Impreza, impreza wrx, impreza wrx Sti.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Tell the clerk this:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
in Us and canada there is only ONE gti. we call gti rest of world call Golf GTI

there are other Gti's in rest of the world, from polo to peugeot thats based on various super mini or compact hatchbacks

Last edited:

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
in Us and canada there is only ONE gti. we call gti rest of world call Golf GTI

in other places (not in us/canada), theres vw polo GTI, peugeot 208 gti, 106 gti, 105 gti, 205 gti, 306 gti, suzuki swift gti, rover metro gti and so on.

The mk7 is officially called Golf GTI now in the US and Canada.

clownish

just clowning around
I'm pretty sure the mk6 name was the VW GTI. Golf, GTI, Golf R. That's the NA nomeclature. It's not short - its literally Volkswagon GTI for make model.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
If you are ever curious, check out our vehicle selector onsite. It matches the fitment out there and the naming does actually change on Gens.

MK5/6 has the GTI as a model whereas with the MK4 the GTI is a submodel of a Golf.

Its fun when having to sift through data from manufacturers on parts to get our fitment charts right :rolleyes: