GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

is my battery bad??

fkshtup

Ready to race!
So when my car sits over night the next morning my car has a hard time starting like the battery is done the light flicker and all. Once I run the car for a while and turn it off and turn it right back on it fires right up but then when it sits for a few minutes it has a hard time starting again. I went to AutoZone to test my battery and alternator and they say it's fine but I know I'm lacking juice from somewhere. Any ideas???

Edit: I know batteries last 4-5 years or so but I already have 98k on my car so maybe I do need a new battery.

JhnR

Banned
my battery went out at 23k. So its a possibility

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
I have the same issue with a fairly new battery and I think it's one of the fuel pumps....I'm taking my car in to have it looked at on thursday

fkshtup

Ready to race!
My battery also went at about 23k and little under 3 years in. Stock batteries are garbo, but you might have an electrical or ignition issue.

I did rebuild my head but it didn't do this till about 3 weeks after my rebuild.

fkshtup

Ready to race!
My battery also went at about 23k and little under 3 years in. Stock batteries are garbo, but you might have an electrical or ignition issue.

If this is the case how come my car fires right back up right after I shut it off?

fkshtup

Ready to race!
Loose ground maybe causing a short? Hard to say really. You could try and scan it for codes with VCDS.

I'll take the battery out and do a little inspection.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
If this is the case how come my car fires right back up right after I shut it off?

Because it's just been charged and run so typical start-up loads are less.

You're symptoms are those of classic battery failure. As battery's age they fail to hold a charge.

Measure Voltages across the battery terminals after the car has been sitting for awhile (don't turn it on ar start it) A New fresh battery will read 12.6 Volts or so. One at 50% charge life will read 12.2. Anything less than this and it's essentially toast.

Now start the car and read the voltages....Should read 13.7-14 as the alternator is pumping juice into it. If it reads the same as the above battery check, your alternator is toast.

A 2011 I would expect you just need a new battery. 2-4 years is average life.