GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

One problem after another

fkshtup

Ready to race!
So somehow my radiator fan made its way to my AC line and cut it so all my AC leaked and it's 100 degrees and I'm hot af. But the that's the minor problem. So when the AC leaked it went all over my fan and dripped down and now my driver side fan won't shut off. I have to undo my battery to have it shut off. Do I have a short or what?

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
fan wont shut off after 3 minutes or so?

fkshtup

Ready to race!

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
So somehow my radiator fan made its way to my AC line and cut it so all my AC leaked and it's 100 degrees and I'm hot af. But the that's the minor problem. So when the AC leaked it went all over my fan and dripped down and now my driver side fan won't shut off. I have to undo my battery to have it shut off. Do I have a short or what?

I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the the fans will run till the engine reaches a certain temp. Since you have one fan doing the work of two, and the fact that it's essentially lopsided in its cooling the other fan is going to run until the engine gets down to a certain temp.

Best thing to do is to get that other fan replaced asap and I'm pretty sure you'll see the cooling system return to normal.

Edit: I believe the engine needs to be around 190 degree's for the fans to shut off.

-DT

fkshtup

Ready to race!
I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the the fans will run till the engine reaches a certain temp. Since you have one fan doing the work of two, and the fact that it's essentially lopsided in its cooling the other fan is going to run until the engine gets down to a certain temp.

Best thing to do is to get that other fan replaced asap and I'm pretty sure you'll see the cooling system return to normal.

Edit: I believe the engine needs to be around 190 degree's for the fans to shut off.

-DT

I agree with you but it's weird one will shut off after my engine sits a few minutes but the other fan runs non-stop. My car Sat all day and as soon as I plug the battery it starts running. is there a fuse that I can shut off that fan? I'm doubting any fluid ruined anything since I always wash my bay.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
I agree with you but it's weird one will shut off after my engine sits a few minutes but the other fan runs non-stop. My car Sat all day and as soon as I plug the battery it starts running. is there a fuse that I can shut off that fan? I'm doubting any fluid ruined anything since I always wash my bay.

You mentioned that your coolant line was cut, how much fluid did you lose? Cause depending on how far it ran, and how much coolant was lost; it could be that the coolant has fully cycled through the entire system yet. Several variables there to consider though.

But yeah it's strange that one goes and the other stops... Maybe tonight when it cools off run the car for a bit and give it time to cycle the coolant. See what happens.

-DT

fkshtup

Ready to race!

-DT

You mentioned that your coolant line was cut, how much fluid did you lose? Cause depending on how far it ran, and how much coolant was lost; it could be that the coolant has fully cycled through the entire system yet. Several variables there to consider though.

But yeah it's strange that one goes and the other stops... Maybe tonight when it cools off run the car for a bit and give it time to cycle the coolant. See what happens.

-DT

Coolent is fine it was my AC that got cut but I will run my car tonight a bit

fkshtup

Ready to race!
So my fan finally took a shit. Can I run safe with just one fan?