GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick poll: Who has their Mechatronic unit replaced?

vdubvroom

Ready to race!
Each mechatronic unit is made via the vehicles VIN number. So each one is different. at least this is how my vw dealer explained it to me. I had mine replaced not to long ago and I am at 35k miles in 2010 GTI. I had first noticed it acted different from my 07 GLI that I had a DSG in so I took it in just to have it checked out and ended up needing the replacment. Took mine a while to come in and get fixed.

Jasper2

2010 GTI / <15K miles / 2 days

For others that are lurking this thread, the way my dealer handled the changing the mechatronics unit was very smooth. got it changed at around 23K miles, they said they were going to drain the DSG fluid, but keep the same filter. I though that was dumb so I paid to have them change the filter. ~$160 dollars at the end. Cheaper than a DSG service out of warranty + free maintenance, so I'm happy at the end of the day. Problem fixed and DSG good till 60k!

-Z

VW pays for a complete fluid change with a Mechatronic replacement unit, which always includes the DSG filter. It is about a one hour job or less to change out the filter. You have to remove the air box w/ air filter, the battery tray and the battery, as well as some of the air ducts and the mass air flow sensor to replace the filter. The retail price of that filter is $39. I could see a $131 labor charge given what is involved.

In a nutshell, your dealer screwed you. I had my MU replaced at 27,000 miles on my VW CC Lux 2.0L. The replacement unit (which had to have its firmware flashed based on the VIN number) did come from Germany. Took two business days to arrive at the dealer, and 4 hours of labor to replace it. All under warranty. Dealer said DSG service does not have to be done until 67,000 miles. It will not have to be done at the 40,000 mile service.

Last edited:

zsm722

Ready to race!
VW pays for a complete fluid change with a Mechatronic replacement unit, which always includes the DSG filter. It is about a one hour job or less to change out the filter. You have to remove the air box w/ air filter, the battery tray and the battery, as well as some of the air ducts and the mass air flow sensor to replace the filter. The retail price of that filter is $39. I could see a $131 labor charge given what is involved.

In a nutshell, your dealer screwed you. I had my MU replaced at 27,000 miles on my VW CC Lux 2.0L. The replacement unit (which had to have its firmware flashed based on the VIN number) did come from Germany. Took two business days to arrive at the dealer, and 4 hours of labor to replace it. All under warranty. Dealer said DSG service does not have to be done until 67,000 miles. It will not have to be done at the 40,000 mile service.

I'm at 41k now, and I can find the exact paperwork later but yeah you are probably right. I think I broke down the pricing in a different thread I think it was ~70 for parts ~70 for labor and tax. I did get screwed, because I asked them specifically what they do and they told me they don't change the filter. So naturally I wanted to ensure my car that I've had for less than 10k miles (bought it used) doesn't have any more transmission issues. I have learned a lot more now and have done most of the work on my own car but couldn't risk it at the time, I was a noob. They took advantage of me wanting to take care of the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasper2

Dealers do make money on warranty work

They say they don't know what was taking so long, but it was a priority to them. I'm sure it's not, as it's warranty work....I also think that because of the fact I'm a girl, they think I don't care as much. It was a bit irritating, but at least I'll be getting a new one, hopefully sooner than later.
Actually, dealers depend on warranty work to make a profit. In fact, most wouldn't be in business without it. Yes, the reimbursement rate is less than what a consumer would pay, but there are other considerations:

From a dealers perspective, you want a happy customer at the end of the day as they come back, both for service and new cars. Not having to explain every item on a service ticket is a bonus for the dealer, as most customers don't understand why things have to cost so much to get repaired.

zaedshahin

Each mechatronic unit is made via the vehicles VIN number. So each one is different. at least this is how my vw dealer explained it to me. I had mine replaced not to long ago and I am at 35k miles in 2010 GTI. I had first noticed it acted different from my 07 GLI that I had a DSG in so I took it in just to have it checked out and ended up needing the replacment. Took mine a while to come in and get fixed.

"Each mechatronic unit is made via the vehicles VIN number. So each one is different"

Is that a correct statement? so I can not just buy it online??:confused:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
"Each mechatronic unit is made via the vehicles VIN number. So each one is different"

Is that a correct statement? so I can not just buy it online??:confused:

A friend of a friend was told this with his '09 GTI. TBH, this is full of bullshit. I can see an ECU but even ECU's can be altered to work on another vehicle.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i mean i have a cbfa ecu with a ccta motor. it runs fine. just match the trans code if possible. but the programming will overwrite the old car's info anyway.

braisim

I hav a 2010 1.4TSI 140 Touran with DSG 7

The mechatronic was replaced once after 2 years and 40,000kms, under guarantee. Now I've been told that new unit is necessary, at 85,000kms. €1300 repair. I will ask for VW to share the cost. Doesn't seem right that this unit fails twice in a five-year old car.