GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What DG springs will fit my 2.5L?

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I have a 4 door automatic 2.5L GOLF. Was considering swapping out my stock springs out for DG springs once they need to be replaced. I’ve seen there are different versions of the DGs, would I use the 4 door DSG type? Is there a certain part number I should be looking for?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have a 4 door automatic 2.5L GOLF. Was considering swapping out my stock springs out for DG springs once they need to be replaced. I’ve seen there are different versions of the DGs, would I use the 4 door DSG type? Is there a certain part number I should be looking for?
They should all fit, the weight distribution difference between 2 and 4 door models shouldn't be an issue.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yep. Like he said 2 or 4 door shouldn't be that big a deal. Manual 2 door vs DSG 4 door maybe but still probably not. I was looking into going this route as well but talked to some people who had done it and they said the ride was a little to harsh for a daily driver (that was purely opinion though). I ended up swapping out to gti suspension instead which for me is perfect. Suspension is a system and springs are really only part of the equation. Sway bars (front and rear) and tires are equally important to how the car handles. Don't cheap out on the tires.

Last edited:

Zach0918

Ready to race!
Yep. Like he said 2 or 4 door shouldn't be that big a deal. Manual 2 door vs DSG 4 door maybe but still probably not. I was looking into going this route as well but talked to some people who had done it and they said the ride was a little to harsh for a daily driver (that was purely opinion though). I ended up swapping out to gti suspension instead which for me is perfect. Suspension is a system and springs are really only part of the equation. Sway bars (front and rear) and tires are equally important to how the car handles. Don't cheap out on the tires.

Thanks for the advice. I just picked up and installed a set of Continental DSWs on 17s. They came highly recommended on this forum. With the GTI suspension did you notice any drop? I am not looking for anything extreme, just something that will hug the 17s a bit closed then the stock golf suspension.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
It definitly sits lower but there is still wheel gap. I am running Conti DW's on 17's as well.
IMHO The MK5 and MK6 share the same suspension, unless your in it for the looks and stance, the GTI ride height/camber curve is about as low as you should go for performance driving. If you set your droop lower you start at a point where too much negitive camber gets introduced earlier than is required, hence the use of larger and larger sway bars to correct the geometry.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know if these would fit the 2.5L? Seller is unsure.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/6535082169.html
Zack, they will fit the entire Mk6 family. The 2.5 block is a tad bit heavier than the 2.0 TSI but that is balanced by the weight of the turbo and accessories, so should be no issues, they were prolly made in Europe so the 2.5 was not listed that's a common occurance.

These springs are linear like the original GTI ones, the original GTI setup specs should be used, not the 2.5. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Zach0918

Ready to race!
Zack, they will fit the entire Mk6 family. The 2.5 block is a tad bit heavier than the 2.0 TSI but that is balanced by the weight of the turbo and accessories, so should be no issues, they were prolly made in Europe so the 2.5 was not listed that's a common occurance.

These springs are linear like the original GTI ones, the original GTI setup specs should be used, not the 2.5. :thumbup:

Thanks for the info as always, I wish I knew a quarter of what you do. Can you clarify what you mean by setup specs? Thanks (dory if this is a noob question)

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the info as always, I wish I knew a quarter of what you do. Can you clarify what you mean by setup specs? Thanks (dory if this is a noob question)
By design the GTI settings are more aggressive than that of the Golf. Once you put the GTI Springs on, it is best to use the more aggressive alignment specs for the GTI to get the base bang for your buck.

Just tell the alignment shop to use the specs for the GTI of the same year.

You can add Hotchkis 27mm swaybar(s) or another manufacturer at a later date to complete the transformation. I only mentioned Hotchkis as that's what I use. If you already have sway bars then its a mute point.