GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any MK6 GTI issues?

Marvin

Ready to race!
Hi all! I have the Dynaudio system in my 2 door GTI and when I play music with some deep bass thumping I get a annoying rattle from my doors. I don't know if its the door card or what, but it annoys me because I figure with the Dynaudio option I would hope there wouldn't be vibration. Just FYI, I set everything to mid level...treble, bass and mid...the volume is at 60% i'd say and I hear the vibration. Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to have this checked out unless you guys think the Dynaudio needs to break in and the sound will settle. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Perhaps it's trying to tell you something about the excessive volume. You'll end up damaging your ear drums and get tinnitus (not very pleasant condition) - I suffer from it! :rolleyes:

AntGTIMKVI

Grinding noise in 1st gear

I have the manual and it makes the grinding noise. The car drives amazing and I have no problem shifting but I still get that noise out of first. When driving fast I can hear some air from the drivers door like it is missing some weather stripping or something. I don't know if I should call the dealer.

I took mine in for this noise and the mechanic told me it was normal. No issues...it's just annoying, but better to hear that everyone has this issue.

AntGTIMKVI

Has anyone noticed any fit/finish issues? For instance...I noticed mine has a gap where the plastic from the covering to the gear lever meets the dashboard on the right side of the radio. The left side fits tightly. Then I noticed that the plastic around the radio and air controls is slightly popped out on the left side. I'm going to bring this up at my 3000 mile check up. Still got 2000 miles to go.

1000poundman

picked my car up today feels good though immediately I can feel what appears to be suspension rattle at low speeds across uneven surfaces, will call vw tomorrow to see if thats normal....does not sound it to me.

rronan

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine has had some strange issues thus far, but still love the car.

Windshield replaced @ 300 miles due to scratches in the glass from manufacturing.

Now having an issue when my iphone is docked with the audio interface, heavy static and warbled playback. Seems to be prevalent when cornering.

I have a slight rattle on deceleration but cannot determine if thats just the way the exhaust resonates or if it is actually an issue.

Also at times it seems the car has no umph in 1st gear and pretty much the car falls on its face. I know there is a recall for the DSG so not sure if this is it or if its the TCS kicking in.

swh50

I have 2000 miles on mine now and I have several issues the dealer can't find or says is normal.

The most sickening is a loud pounding/banging/popping sound and vibration that is felt throughtout the car when the tires spin for over a second or so. It doesn't do it on ice, only wet or dry pavement, ashpalt or concrete, ESP on or off. It sounds like the tires/wheels are coming through the firewall. It does not do it as much as it used to, but I can still make it do it. I think it is the electronic locking differential, as they call, becasue there is no torque steer, only straight acceleration. The dealer would not wet down some pavement so I could demonstrate.

The driver's side plastic underbody fairing will rattle. The passenger side is fine, but tap on the driver's side and it is loose and rattles. This is normal the dealer says.

My driver's buzzes/vibrates slightly when closing or sometimes when engaging the clutch. I told them not to remove the panel unless they know what it was. They removed it anyway and it is noiser now.

When you drive on a washboard road, the upper rear corners of the door panels will rattle against the door frame. Also, you can hear the trim panels slap against each other. Too many rattles, in general.

If the car is cold soaked to about 20 degrees F, or so, the trans crunches on the 1-2 shift on my manual. It will not do it if you double clutch. It goes away after a couple of minutes, but it shoudn't do it at all. None of my cheapie US cars did this, surely VW's little halo hatch can match them. The dealer will not even investigate until it does it when they have it.

On cold mornings, sub 40 or so, something beeps, burps, buzzes until the car has run for several minutes. Maybe it is the fuel pump others have mentioned.

The radio will beep when you touch a preset, but will not switch stations. This is a fairly regular occurence.

My gas mileage has a ways to go to meet the EPA rating. So far it is the only car I have owned where I didn't get at least the EPA.

The info panel is nice, but the average mileage meter is constantly 1.5-3 mpg in error depending on the weather. So, the instantaneous must be, too. My clunky US SUV is typically around .5 in error. Plus, my digital and analog speedometers will run 2 mph different at times.

VW, why kill the 12v outlets when the car if off? Why kill the radio when the key is turned off and make us hit the power button to bring it back on?

It is a slick little ride, but I have quality control issues for the money I paid for it. I am going to remove the trim panels and put in sound deadner like Dynamat and that should get rid of some of the noise penetration which is alreay well controlled for the type of vehicle it is.

Wind and road noise are well controlled for this type of car. The radio is nice. The seats are very good, too, but I wish I could raise the rear about half an inch because my fat thighs dig into the front cushion when I depress the clutch. The turbo is very smooth and I engage it enthusiastically and frequently. The trans is nice except for the cold 1-2 shift. I have had no suspension issues and it handles like it is on rails. I don't expect perfection, but built-in rattles, imprecise instrumentation and strange noises should be within their engineering capability to eliminate.

edman62

Passed Driver's Ed
2010 GTI 30 days old

I have had mine for almost 2 months. No problems whatsoever. Only mishap was a right rear tire blow out due to a nasty pot hole. Cost for tire and install at vw, $200.00

QUOTE=cgold;11429]1000 miles, 2 issues:

- rear washer drips

- electrical/audio problem occurs sporadically after a cold start, particularly when the car hasn't been driven for a couple of days and/or it's been a cold night. audio volume seems to be all over the place, like the speed adjust and/or max startup volume features are going haywire. Using the touchscreen controls results in a static crackle sound. After driving car for 5 minutes or so a restart seems to fix the issue.

I suspect there's some sort of battery drain/low voltage issue that's made worse by cold temps.

Will be calling the service department soon...[/QUOTE]

Pjai

Ready to race!
1000 miles (or 1500km in where i live)

As I read another post abt the clucking noise when going over bumps, I think i m getting similar problems and I am wondering has any1 come down to the real cause of it. When i go over bumps (small ones, like onto a driveway) i hear some noises coming from the back of the car. I cant really pin point what it is, but it sounds something to do with the suspension. It's more noticeable when i fold the seats down.

Tailwagger

Ready to race!
1000 miles (or 1500km in where i live)

As I read another post abt the clucking noise when going over bumps, I think i m getting similar problems and I am wondering has any1 come down to the real cause of it. When i go over bumps (small ones, like onto a driveway) i hear some noises coming from the back of the car. I cant really pin point what it is, but it sounds something to do with the suspension. It's more noticeable when i fold the seats down.

I've certainly noticed that the rear is stiffly sprung and a little hoppy over bumps, but nothing I would term unusual in terms of noise. Nothing VW specific here, but oft times clunks like this are related to either the sway bar links being worn or loose so the bar bangs around or possibly an improperly seated spring. Just a thought.

Pjai

Ready to race!
I am not sure what it is aye. It's most noticeable when i drive onto a driveway, i get a series of "ta ta ta ta ta", umm, i am not sure how to describe it, but it sounds like when u load up metal(like tensioning rebars if any1 else is in the civil field). I still get it when I pull into the driveway of my office which is abt 25km of driving, so it shouldnt be anything to do with temperatures, i guess.... : (

I will probably take it back to dealer, sooner or later, but i would like to be able to pin point the problem 1st and make sure i can re produce it on the spot, so they dont come back to me and say they find nothing, and waste half my day.

Passenger side rattling starting to pop up too : (, hopfully it was jst some resonance frequency..

PsykoTim

Greetings! Just got my new GTI about a month ago and have about 1000 miles on it so far. It's my daily driver and has been great so far. I'm especially keen on the gas mileage (averaging about 29mpg in combined city/hiway, with peaks at close to 34mpg). That's a far cry from my other car.

The only problems I've had so far are wind noise from the passenger side door. I also had an incident here last night on the way home from visiting relatives that was self induced but still kind of strange.

There was a significant snow storm here in North Texas overnight and I had to drive about 75 miles in fresh snow that was up to 6 inches in some places. When I took the car out today, I noticed a scraping sound from under the car so I pulled over to look and discovered that both the driver and passenger underside plastic floor skids had basically been obliterated by the snow and were dragging the ground. The pastic acted like a scoop and allowed the snow to pack itself between the body and the skid until the pastic around the bolts couldn't take any more and snapped. I'll have to order some new plastic. Oh Well!

FYI, It drove excellently on the snow though! I was actually suprised at how well it drove. I saw many, many people who slid off the road or who even did 360's right in front of me as I happily trotted along (noone hurt, just bad drivers).

Pjai

Ready to race!
damn it, it's not the boot cover.. had a mate in the boot and drove ard the carpark over bumps cnat still cant find it :(

Tailwagger

Ready to race!
damn it, it's not the boot cover.. had a mate in the boot and drove ard the carpark over bumps cnat still cant find it :(
Dumb question. Have you checked to see if the spare and whatever else is under the carpet is securely locked down?