GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Downpipe / Milltek Catback Question

FenderR

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

I did some searching both here and Vortex and couldn't find anything pertaining to this exact topic:

I recently purchased a Milltek Catback because it was at a pretty decent deal from prices I've seen.

At some point I'd like to get a catted downpipe, but I don't want to spend the ~12-1300 bucks that the Milltek costs. APRs lists for ~830ish.

Does anybody know if the APR downpipe will easily mate to the Milltek CBE? It's currently attached to the OEM downpipe (which - correct me if I'm wrong but is either 2.5" dia) via an adaptor. I believe the CBE is 2.75" and the APR downpipe is 3"...I assume I can bolt them together with the included clamps and an adaptor but I'm not sure exactly how APR's TBE is supposed to connect together with the APR CBE midpipe.

Thanks!

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
APR is a 3 inch but they provide an adaptor to drop it down to 2.5 to mate up to the factory cat back. If you need a 2.75 inch adaptor you'll most likely need to drop by an exhaust shop.

FenderR

Passed Driver's Ed
:thumbsup: Thanks!

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
If you don't want to fabricate the 3"-2.75" adapter, you can use the 3"-2.5" adapter from the downpipe and the 2.75"-2.5" from the catback, then use the oem flange to connect them.

FenderR

Passed Driver's Ed
Won't that create unnecessary backpressure? Haha

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
To use the adapters, You may have to trim the length of the pipe as well.

GMP - Matthew

Ready to race!
Fixing the diameter part is easy, However you will find out that the Milltek Downpipe is 4 inches longer than the stock downpipe so the Milltek cat back is 4 inches shorter than the stock downpipe which means the milltek cat back is going to be 4 inches short when trying to mate it up to the APR downpipe. Just buy the milltek catless downpipe and either weld in a cat or run it as is. Its pretty cheap at $699 MSRP.

FenderR

Passed Driver's Ed
Fixing the diameter part is easy, However you will find out that the Milltek Downpipe is 4 inches longer than the stock downpipe so the Milltek cat back is 4 inches shorter than the stock downpipe which means the milltek cat back is going to be 4 inches short when trying to mate it up to the APR downpipe. Just buy the milltek catless downpipe and either weld in a cat or run it as is. Its pretty cheap at $699 MSRP.

How can the catback be 4" shorter if I'm mated to the stock downpipe?

GMP - Matthew

Ready to race!
How can the catback be 4" shorter if I'm mated to the stock downpipe?

You were shipped a different connecting tube when you purchase the cat back by itself that is longer than the connecting tube you receive when you purchase the downpipe.

FenderR

Passed Driver's Ed
You were shipped a different connecting tube when you purchase the cat back by itself that is longer than the connecting tube you receive when you purchase the downpipe.

So it will mate to an APR DP if I so choose to go that route then...just have to get an adapter..

GMP - Matthew

Ready to race!
So it will mate to an APR DP if I so choose to go that route then...just have to get an adapter..

You still may need to make a custom adapter when ordering an APR downpipe and a Milltek cat back. Like I mentioned before I would suggest just buying a Milltek cat less downpipe and if you really want or need a cat with a downpipe wait a little bit as Milltek is working on trying to make their catted downpipes more affordable at the same quality.

FenderR

Passed Driver's Ed
You still may need to make a custom adapter when ordering an APR downpipe and a Milltek cat back. Like I mentioned before I would suggest just buying a Milltek cat less downpipe and if you really want or need a cat with a downpipe wait a little bit as Milltek is working on trying to make their catted downpipes more affordable at the same quality.

I live in MA so I need catted to keep it a bit more quiet and to pass inspection...the DP on this car is such a pain that I don't want to have to take it on and off for inspections haha. Hopefully milltek makes a cheaper catted DP ASAP, otherwise I have a shop that will make an adapter for the APR to Milltek...

Thanks for the info