GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Letter from VW of America

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Sorry if I'm starting another thread on the same subject. I received a letter VWoA today saying the intake and fuel injectors are now covered til 10yrs/120k miles.

After reading the letter it says no modifications to exhaust,"Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified parts, or parts that alter the performance of the engine, engine controls, or exhaust system, such as the installation of engine management components ("chipped" or "tuned" ECMs) not approved by Volkswagen.

My cat-back has been changed (and I kept the parts), so I'm assuming if these repairs are needed I am going to have to re-install the stock exhaust or am I reading it wrong? Are they just meaning something like changing the exhaust manifold, turbo, removing the cats, etc?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yes. essentially they are saying if you have any exhaust work(so aftermarket catback/downpipe and or muffler delete/res delete) then the extra warranty doesn't apply to you. So when you take it in for issues related to that take put your stock exhaust on.

at least thats how i interpreted it

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Sorry if I'm starting another thread on the same subject. I received a letter VWoA today saying the intake and fuel injectors are now covered til 10yrs/120k miles.

is that only on certain years?

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yep, ANY mod will negate the warranty is what they are saying. You should be able to find a mod friendly dealer who won't give a shit though.

cobie56

Ready to race!
does VW's letter of extended warranty cover only your year GTI or are other years covered?

After reading the letter it says no modifications to exhaust,"Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified parts, or parts that alter the performance of the engine, engine controls, or exhaust system, such as the installation of engine management components ("chipped" or "tuned" ECMs) not approved by Volkswagen.

My cat-back has been changed (and I kept the parts), so I'm assuming if these repairs are needed I am going to have to re-install the stock exhaust or am I reading it wrong? Are they just meaning something like changing the exhaust manifold, turbo, removing the cats, etc?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
For those asking about what years. I have a 2011 and i received the letter.
So you can check mark 2011 on it not sure on others

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Ah, is that what that letter said? I threw it out, thinking it was promotional nonsense.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Ah, is that what that letter said? I threw it out, thinking it was a promotional nonsense.
i skimmed it but this is the 3rd letter ive received about the warranty being extended on it.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
i skimmed it but this is the 3rd letter ive received about the warranty being extended on it.

Yeah, I think I threw out each one of those now that I recall.

I'll have to start reading them so I don't miss any valuable warranty info in the future.