GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer replaces headlight switch, now AFS does not work.

PB400

Long story short; About 2 months ago my headlight switch had a crack in it, I complained, It was replaced (eventually) by dealer. I don't drive at night very often, but with the days getting shorter lately I was about to pick up on the fact that my AFS is no longer functioning.

I mean it doesn't compromise the safety of the car or anything like that, but I DID splurge for the Autobahn to get the cool high-tec features like headlights that move when I turn the steering wheel at speeds above 6mph!

The car is now at 39k miles and is no longer covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Also on a side note... I just did my first at-home oil change last night... Well.. Half-assed oil change... I couldn't get the damn oil filter off! Anyway, the car has fresh lubrimoly 5w40 oil with the old filter from the last change. Given the location of the filter, would it be acceptable to replace the filter today and not worry about the oil I just added yesterday? I would assume the filter can be removed with little to no mess and without draining the pan, is that correct?

Car in question:

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I believe AFS operates at speeds higher than 6 mph...don't quote me but I thinks it's like 20something mph. I have fog lights act as cornering lights and those work up until the AFS kicks in. Changing a headlight switch should have zero effect on the AFS motors

I would also double check to make sure the AFS box is still checked in the MFD menu.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Did you look in the MFD for the AFS setting? It may be turned off.

PB400

Thanks for the responses..

Rookie mistake not checking the MFD yet... Going to scope that out on lunch break.

According to the manual, AFS kicks in at speeds over 6mph.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
Yes, you can change the filter without losing much oil. Maybe 1/4 quart stays in the filter. The filter had a valve that only releases the oil if you tilt it so as long as you lift it straight up, it won't drip.

There is absolutely no reason why the filter is so tight that you can't get it off with just a little pressure with a filter wrench. I know the first three oil changes are free, but add this to the list for why you should do your own going forward. This is absolutely the easiest car to do an oil change on.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Yes, you can change the filter without losing much oil. Maybe 1/4 quart stays in the filter. The filter had a valve that only releases the oil if you tilt it so as long as you lift it straight up, it won't drip.

There is absolutely no reason why the filter is so tight that you can't get it off with just a little pressure with a filter wrench. I know the first three oil changes are free, but add this to the list for why you should do your own going forward. This is absolutely the easiest car to do an oil change on.

my car was the same way. i'm almost postive it was hand tightened by zeus.

also had another buddy get an oil leak from his after getting it changed at the dealer. they over torqued it so much that it cracked the filter housing.

PB400

Great, Thanks for the input..

My rule of thumb has always been to hand tighten my oil filters, so I can easily unscrew them by hand. I've been doing my own oil changes for 13 years and never had an issue, so once I finally get this thing off I will be practicing that method at 5k intervals rather than the suggested 10k.

PB400

my car was the same way. i'm almost postive it was hand tightened by zeus.

also had another buddy get an oil leak from his after getting it changed at the dealer. they over torqued it so much that it cracked the filter housing.

Yes! Mine was tightened by the hand of Zues as well!

At my 20k service, the tech installed the drain plug washer upside down and the car leaked oil profusely. That was my last straw with that dealer, I've since changed to a new dealer.

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
another good tip on installing oil filters is to coat the rubber gasket with a thin layer of new oil. makes removing it later a lot easier.

PB400

Soooo... AFS was rectified by MFD. Sorry for the thread, but thanks for the insight!

A little bit oil on the rubber gasket is something I always do! Now I need to find an oil filter tool to get this thing off. Thought I would never have to buy one of these things.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Soooo... AFS was rectified by MFD. Sorry for the thread, but thanks for the insight!

A little bit oil on the rubber gasket is something I always do! Now I need to find an oil filter tool to get this thing off. Thought I would never have to buy one of these things.

If you plan to continue to change your own oil. It makes sense to do that.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Mine was also tightened by Zeus. You can pick up an oil filter tool at any auto parts store. Sometimes they are odd sizes and don't fit too well but use a rubber malet with light pressure and you should be able to take the tool off no problem when the oil filter is off.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Also don't freak out if the AFS stops after 35mph or so IIRC.

AFS works from 6-35 mph