GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof

dubmk6_ewok

Ready to race!
Has anyone ever plasti dipped their roof? If did you use spray cans or what method? Have any pics of the results? Was playing around with the idea until I can wrap it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
There is a guy in Hillsborough NJ who wrapped mine for $170. He is very popular on BMW and higher end car forums. PM for contact info if you want. I also have a thread with pics and a small write up of the quality of his work. He did an awesome job and everytime I have been to his place there is some kind if exotic there getting paint protection and tint.

dubmk6_ewok

Ready to race!
There is a guy in Hillsborough NJ who wrapped mine for $170. He is very popular on BMW and higher end car forums. PM for contact info if you want. I also have a thread with pics and a small write up of the quality of his work. He did an awesome job and everytime I have been to his place there is some kind if exotic there getting paint protection and tint.

Yea hillsborough jersey is a little far for me unfortunately

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
Has anyone ever plasti dipped their roof? If did you use spray cans or what method? Have any pics of the results? Was playing around with the idea until I can wrap it.

I can't imagine this to be hard at all. Just tape up your areas. Spray 1 lite coat following by several. I have 6 layers on my wheels. holds up very well and takes about 2 weeks to cure. I think 2 cans will cover your roof entirely fine.

You may also want to add some glossifer to it unless you want the straight matte black look.

If you don't like it over a week. just peel it off. on a roof it'll peel with no troubles at all :)

If you do gloss. add 1 lite and then 2-3 heavy coats.

dubmk6_ewok

Ready to race!
I can't imagine this to be hard at all. Just tape up your areas. Spray 1 lite coat following by several. I have 6 layers on my wheels. holds up very well and takes about 2 weeks to cure. I think 2 cans will cover your roof entirely fine.

You may also want to add some glossifer to it unless you want the straight matte black look.

If you don't like it over a week. just peel it off. on a roof it'll peel with no troubles at all :)

If you do gloss. add 1 lite and then 2-3 heavy coats.

Yea I don't think it will be very hard I just wanted to more or less see the look of it

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wrapped my gti flat black, then white, then black again. Good 3M wrapping vinyl is key or you're gonna have a bad time.

As for dip I did my buddies Evo X twice. I agree with the above light coats then heavy coats but wait the recommended half hour between for best results. We did six coats and it still looks great after almost a year now. Never tried a spray gun but it seems to work better than cans.

In the end vinyl costs a little more but IMO looks better. Either way how you use it will make the differance

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion

Why screw with beautiful quality shiny paint job?

dubmk6_ewok

Ready to race!
I wrapped my gti flat black, then white, then black again. Good 3M wrapping vinyl is key or you're gonna have a bad time.

As for dip I did my buddies Evo X twice. I agree with the above light coats then heavy coats but wait the recommended half hour between for best results. We did six coats and it still looks great after almost a year now. Never tried a spray gun but it seems to work better than cans.

In the end vinyl costs a little more but IMO looks better. Either way how you use it will make the differance

I'm stoked to hear this. I may give it a try this weekend. If I don't like it ill just take it off

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
by the way , if your going to use can. do yourself a favor and invest in the spray hand and save your fingers . Also allows better flow of the spray . Also one tip when using dip. When you begin spraying again. ALWAYS spray against a newspaper or a scrap cardboard or you'll get blotching ( when the dip hasn't been used in a few minutes, there's a little build up) when you press the trigger again it sends excess dip out so you want to avoid that) You can get the spray handler at Home Depot or lowes for a few dollars. It works on any spray can . I had to put a piece of wood in mine as it didn't fully extend to reach the dip spray nob.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_284850-90-241526_0__

luv my dub76

Ready to race!
Why , save your money and wrap it
Its what you want to do anyway
To each their own , but plastic dip looks cheap and ugly

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Plastidip can look really good when applied properly, but I wouldn't use it for a roof job just because I prefer my roof to have a true gloss finish and you can't get that with the glossifier. I'd go the vinyl route if I were you. It's a bit more expensive than Plastidip, but it looks really good, lasts a long time, is completely reversible and still much cheaper than paint.

luv my dub76

Ready to race!
Plastidip can look really good when applied properly, but I wouldn't use it for a roof job just because I prefer my roof to have a true gloss finish and you can't get that with the glossifier. I'd go the vinyl route if I were you. It's a bit more expensive than Plastidip, but it looks really good, lasts a long time, is completely reversible and still much cheaper than paint.
Very few people get it right :D

dubmk6_ewok

Ready to race!
by the way , if your going to use can. do yourself a favor and invest in the spray hand and save your fingers . Also allows better flow of the spray . Also one tip when using dip. When you begin spraying again. ALWAYS spray against a newspaper or a scrap cardboard or you'll get blotching ( when the dip hasn't been used in a few minutes, there's a little build up) when you press the trigger again it sends excess dip out so you want to avoid that) You can get the spray handler at Home Depot or lowes for a few dollars. It works on any spray can . I had to put a piece of wood in mine as it didn't fully extend to reach the dip spray nob.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_284850-90-241526_0__

Yes I was planning on getting that wish I has it when I dipped my wheels

dubmk6_ewok

Ready to race!

Yea I sometimes wonder about wrap as well because on the tdi you have a short stubby spoiler so I wasn't sure how to tie that in with the roof without looking awkward. At least with dip I can spray the top of it and make it look clean

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!

Wrapped roof shortly after purchase and then removed 2 years later. Paint was like new condition.