GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 clutch concerns

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
Went to APTUNING today for the APR winter sale flash. Got Stage 1 Intake tune and fullly loaded ECU. I was worried about the clutch slip i have heard about....with my luck mine slips.

Got on Turnpike and did some nice pulls. It was 30 degrees out an my car is stock other than EVOms intake and this tune. On the 93 tune I am getting slipping around 3-3500 RPM in 4th, 5th, 6th. and Occasional slipping near redline in the same gears. Guess it is time to save for a clutch. :(

Edit: I have 16,000 miles on the car, it is a 2012, March 2012 build. Car is not beaten on and not launched ever.

Reviving this thread. Anyone else with their clutch holding up on stage 1 tune?
How many miles?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm on Stage 1 stock clutch for about 5k miles and I'm at 10k miles right now. No issues thus far. I've heard on another post that some dude actually had Stage 2 and then went to K04 on stock clutch and still no issues, lol.

Stinger

Ready to race!
They're talking about R, not GTI...

ALRDESIGN

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious about this too. Recently picked my R up, and it has 26k on it. Hesitant about going Stage 1 because I don't feel like doing a clutch in the car I just bought to daily drive.

Most of the shops I sell clutch kits to all find that once they go stage 1 or higher tune on the Golf R the stock clutch doesn't want to hold. The owner of Further Performance is running my Ringer Racing stage 3 clutch kit in his personal Golf R.

felixk

I'm APR Stage 1 as well on my Golf R (2013, 24k miles)(been running for about a year). Was fine, until i installed a Neuspeed intake now my clutch is slipping at 3-4k RPMs.

What do you guys suggest with the clutch slipping...just keep running it until it gets worse, or upgrade ASAP?

I'm APR Stage 1 as well on my Golf R (2013, 24k miles)(been running for about a year). Was fine, until i installed a Neuspeed intake now my clutch is slipping at 3-4k RPMs.

What do you guys suggest with the clutch slipping...just keep running it until it gets worse, or upgrade ASAP?

Does it slip all the time or just in high gear at low rpm (high load)? The more it slips the more the flywheel will get damaged.