GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

so, if you had to do it all again, would you?

zrickety

The Fixer
Absolutely. I came from the MK5 and got my MK6 for a steal, already K04. It's been the best car I've owned hands down, out of 10 or so. I test drove an R and was NOT impressed...maybe tuned they are fun but I feel the weight disadvantage of AWD does not pay dividends 99% of the time. FWD is just fine and lighter, which equals faster, thank you.

clownish

just clowning around
I can agree with everything except the last statement. I'd rather have AWD, or RWD (as long as the climate is dry) over FWD any day.

I disagree and I daily a R32.

My opinion - In Colorado it might make a bigger daily impact, but I don't really personally think so. Daily driving you aren't aggressively enough to ever really need AWD. Speaking in generalities here - you're commuting. Any reasonable modern car (let's ignore the smartCar, Yaris, and other true eco boxes etc.) is pretty comparable for daily driving and comes down to personal preference or needs - the actual driving is similarly accomplished no matter if you're driving an Ecoline, a F150, a Pilot, an Equinox, or a Golf/Corolla/Legacy/etc.

Same. I think the coilovers I just bought cost more than R's these days lol

What did you get? I've been eying KW clubsports and I just installed some Bilstien PSS10s. Or some Ohlins...

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Eibach multi pro R2's

I was torn between ohlins and these. Haven't installed them yet, I'm waiting on the camber plates to arrive.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So clearly, no regrets about modding and doing it again. :lol:

I need to find me a suspension guru local to me who can mess with my car and figure out why it feels how it does - always have a feeling that something is slightly off but I've never found anything actually wrong hardware or configuration-wise.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
So clearly, no regrets about modding and doing it again. :lol:

I need to find me a suspension guru local to me who can mess with my car and figure out why it feels how it does - always have a feeling that something is slightly off but I've never found anything actually wrong hardware or configuration-wise.

My wallet would say otherwise but yeah I'd do it again. I love this thing honestly. I thought it did well on the track with my old suspension setup, I can't fathom how much different it's going to be with these coilovers, camber plates, and every bushing been replaced with 95a poly bushings.

On a side note, What's going on with the way your car handles? PM me and we can talk if you want, I do a lot of work on this platform all over chicago and might be able to help you out. Having just taken a glance at your build thread again, I would find a GOOD alignment shop and start there.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm very happy with the purchase of my CPO MK6 GTI DSG. It's been a great car so far. If I was going to do it today I'd buy a CPO Mk7 DSG.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I disagree and I daily a R32.

My opinion - In Colorado it might make a bigger daily impact, but I don't really personally think so. Daily driving you aren't aggressively enough to ever really need AWD. Speaking in generalities here - you're commuting. Any reasonable modern car (let's ignore the smartCar, Yaris, and other true eco boxes etc.) is pretty comparable for daily driving and comes down to personal preference or needs - the actual driving is similarly accomplished no matter if you're driving an Ecoline, a F150, a Pilot, an Equinox, or a Golf/Corolla/Legacy/etc.

What did you get? I've been eying KW clubsports and I just installed some Bilstien PSS10s. Or some Ohlins...

I was disagreeing with the statement that FWD is more practical for daily driving. It's not. Your comment suggests that for daily driving there isn't really a difference, which is much different than saying FWD is better. I"d agree that for the most part it makes no difference, but I can't think of a single reason why FWD would be superior. There have been plenty of times in the GTI where I needed to go swiftly, but not full throttle, in a FWD car you lose grip immediately, in an AWD car that's not any trouble.. Applying power with the steering wheel turned almost always results in wheel spin in the GTI. I stand by my opinion that I'd prefer AWD on the daily.

I really do appreciate the loyalty you all have to your GTI (remember, I've only had mine 6 months, I could have bought a WRX, but I didn't). I really do love mine, but I'll be the first to admit that it has it's drawbacks.

Think about it this way: You get to design a sports/race car from the ground up. Do you start with RWD, AWD, or FWD? Given the option, nobody would choose FWD, pound for pound FWD can't hang with AWD.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I was disagreeing with the statement that FWD is more practical for daily driving. It's not. Your comment suggests that for daily driving there isn't really a difference, which is much different than saying FWD is better. I"d agree that for the most part it makes no difference, but I can't think of a single reason why FWD would be superior. There have been plenty of times in the GTI where I needed to go swiftly, but not full throttle, in a FWD car you lose grip immediately, in an AWD car that's not any trouble.. Applying power with the steering wheel turned almost always results in wheel spin in the GTI. I stand by my opinion that I'd prefer AWD on the daily.

I really do appreciate the loyalty you all have to your GTI (remember, I've only had mine 6 months, I could have bought a WRX, but I didn't). I really do love mine, but I'll be the first to admit that it has it's drawbacks.

Think about it this way: You get to design a sports/race car from the ground up. Do you start with RWD, AWD, or FWD? Given the option, nobody would choose FWD, pound for pound FWD can't hang with AWD.

In stock form I agree with your statements. I think clownish has somewhat forgotten what a stock gti feels like. For the few that have done as much suspension mods that him and I have done, the problems you're describing don't exist. My car does exactly what I want it to, doesn't wheel spin when you make a sudden turn at all. Of course you have to dump stupid amounts of money into the suspension to achieve those results on a gti.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
In stock form I agree with your statements. I think clownish has somewhat forgotten what a stock gti feels like. For the few that have done as much suspension mods that him and I have done, the problems you're describing don't exist. My car does exactly what I want it to, doesn't wheel spin when you make a sudden turn at all. Of course you have to dump stupid amounts of money into the suspension to achieve those results on a gti.

Haha, yeah I'm sure you're right. Turning right into traffic from a stop has to be done with care. You either need a mile of space, or you need to pull out, straighten the wheel, and get on the throttle before getting rear ended. Being able to put some of that power down while making the turn would be helpful, haha.

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
100% love my car

markus037

Ready to race!
i guess i would too. i just need to mod it to fall in love again. i really need to get it tuned and im sure ill be happy once again. my car is a base and i wish i had the steering wheel controls and xenons. i have no regrets with the dsg. its nice in the morning when im feeling lazy and dont feel like shifting but i have the option if i feel like it.

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
I would do it again but DSG not manual. I'd probably never buy a golf R, I've owned a few awd cars and they are great but I love FWD and the way they drive, that's just me though.