GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on head-unit

ali.v

hi guys,

i am new to your site and sorry in advance if there is already a thread or discussion on this topic however,

I have a 2009 (59) golf and i am looking to change the standard head unit to something that has at least Bluetooth for calling and USB for charging the phone.

now i have two questions:

Firstly - my car does not have steering wheel audio control but it has reverse parking sensors which cuts the music out when i put gear into reverse. if i was to install a new head-unit myself, is that going to be too hard and complicated? and is it going to effect the parking sensors?

Also, can you guys please advice on what head-unit to buy ? i have a budget of £150 - £200. And i was hoping to get something with a big screen compared to the current one i have which is the standard small CD player with standard radio. Perhaps some of you already upgraded your standard ones? I have seen so many online and in shops but i don't really know what is good in terms of quality and also installation.

thank you in advance

Sauce118

Ready to race!
go to eonon.com.. cheap and good enough quality.. I am happy w/ mine. not sure if there is a model for your car but I would check it out.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
go to eonon.com.. cheap and good enough quality.. I am happy w/ mine. not sure if there is a model for your car but I would check it out.

I too can recommend eonon, I had a vw specific eonon headunit in my mk5 and if I didn't have an rns510 in my mk6 I'd likely buy another one, they're canbus compatible so would work correctly with your parking sensors, http://www.eonon.co.uk/Vehicle-Spec...reo-Head-Units-for-Volkswagen-SEAT-SKODA.html ,having said that though I discovered earlier today that blaupunkt also make a VW specific headunit, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252699753313 it looks pretty good but doesn't seem to include map data at this price.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Also there is no point referring to your car as a 59 plate in these boards as most on here are North American/canadian so it means nothing, [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImitationMan

Passed Driver's Ed
I know these aren't in your budget, but at least they are an option for you in the UK:

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Navigation, HD Radio (DAB in Europe) & OEM styling... everything I want in an aftermarket radio for the MK6, but can't get in the US.

The closest North America can get to an OEM style is Eonon. I tried one of their new head units recently - GA6153W. It arrived with a tiny crack in the screen and I had to try to prove I didn't cause it during unboxing or installation. With Eonon, you will be guilty until proven innocent if the device arrives damaged. We finally came to an agreement to refund a percentage of the full price to cover the damage because I wasn't really keen on replacing it as soon as I had installed it and I was excited to start experiencing Android in my car. The experience using the head unit was OK but it had enough little issues to drive me crazy and I was constantly emailing back and forth with their support. There's about a dozen Chinese manufacturers of these Android head units and all the hardware is similar but somewhere along the way, they branch out and Eonon happens to be one of the brands that isn't well supported/represented in XDA community. Therefore you are stuck with the Eonon ROM and all of it's idiosyncrasies with no way to apply the fixes that independent developers have found. And then the screen on my Eonon died a few weeks later so I sent it back and got a refund since I was still in the 60 day warranty period. I gave up on upgrading my head unit to Android at that point.

Read through the Eonon threads in the Electronics section and you will get an idea of what to expect.

ali.v

Thank you all for your reply.

My other concern is the whole issue with having parking sensors (no steering wheel control). Apparently some units will effect my reversing senses and I kind of enjoy having them on as it is useful.

Would anyone know if I would need extra adaptors or a specific head unit that actually works without having to amend too many wires?

Thanks again guys very helpful

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Thank you all for your reply.

My other concern is the whole issue with having parking sensors (no steering wheel control). Apparently some units will effect my reversing senses and I kind of enjoy having them on as it is useful.

Would anyone know if I would need extra adaptors or a specific head unit that actually works without having to amend too many wires?

Thanks again guys very helpful

The eonon VW specific headunits have canbus integration and will allow the parking sensors to function as normal without any additional wiring, it's all plug and play!
I mentioned this in my earlier reply! Take a look at the links to the eonon website all the specifications for the VW headunits are listed there..

+ 2010 carbon steel grey GTI manual +

ali.v

The eonon VW specific headunits have canbus integration and will allow the parking sensors to function as normal without any additional wiring, it's all plug and play!
I mentioned this in my earlier reply! Take a look at the links to the eonon website all the specifications for the VW headunits are listed there..

+ 2010 carbon steel grey GTI manual +

Thanks,

just after publishing that reply i noticed you mentioned about the parking sensors.

i can see there are 3 head units listed, is there a lot difference between them all?

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
Hi ImitationMan, I apologize all the inconvenience caused. We trust our customers and try our best to help them resolve any issues. So finally we refunded you fully. As you said, we have 60-day money back guarantee and 1 year warranty, which will fully protect every customer, thanks a lot.

Hi ali.v, GA6153W has no DVD player. GA6153F has DVD player. The screen of them are different and they are both Android head units.
D5153V is Window head unit. It can not connect to Wifi.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Hi ImitationMan, I apologize all the inconvenience caused. We trust our customers and try our best to help them resolve any issues. So finally we refunded you fully. As you said, we have 60-day money back guarantee and 1 year warranty, which will fully protect every customer, thanks a lot.

Hi ali.v, GA6153W has no DVD player. GA6153F has DVD player. The screen of them are different and they are both Android head units.
D5153V is Window head unit. It can not connect to Wifi.

I had my screen on my EONON go "negative" like looking at a negative film before it is developed, how the darks are white and vice versa... Anyways at first it came every once in a while and then once car warmed up it would go back to normal.. This led to a "negative" screen all the time eventually. EONON sent me a shipping label, I shipped the unit back to them for "testing" and they sent me out a new unit right away. I had my new unit inside 2.5 weeks from when I sent in mine. Just installed it last night and all is good! Thanks EONON for backing up your warranty!!!!!!!!

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
I had my screen on my EONON go "negative" like looking at a negative film before it is developed, how the darks are white and vice versa... Anyways at first it came every once in a while and then once car warmed up it would go back to normal.. This led to a "negative" screen all the time eventually. EONON sent me a shipping label, I shipped the unit back to them for "testing" and they sent me out a new unit right away. I had my new unit inside 2.5 weeks from when I sent in mine. Just installed it last night and all is good! Thanks EONON for backing up your warranty!!!!!!!!

Hi Sauce118, thanks for your kind feedback. :) Please rest assured that we always work on improving our products and service. Thanks!

Schaber403

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have an iphone i'd consider going with a RCD-310. There's a thread on them on here and they are an oem unit