GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jerky upshifts after ECU tune

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Fellow ECU tuned GTIs (DSG), does your car jerk between upshifts under heavy acceleration? I noticed ever since I did a Stratified ECU tune, if I'm giving my GTI heavy acceleration, the car will jerk harshly when it upshifts. Normal acceleration is a smooth as butter. When I flash back to "Stage 0" which is stock, and give it the same heavy acceleration, the upshift jerk does not occur which is why I don't think this is a "DSG calibration/reset" issue. The jerks are hard enough to throw the passenger forward during the upshifts. Any ideas?

Uberryan

Banned
you sure it's the DSG and not the coil packs?

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Fellow ECU tuned GTIs (DSG), does your car jerk between upshifts under heavy acceleration? I noticed ever since I did a Stratified ECU tune, if I'm giving my GTI heavy acceleration, the car will jerk harshly when it upshifts. Normal acceleration is a smooth as butter. When I flash back to "Stage 0" which is stock, and give it the same heavy acceleration, the upshift jerk does not occur which is why I don't think this is a "DSG calibration/reset" issue. The jerks are hard enough to throw the passenger forward during the upshifts. Any ideas?

from what i read theres a few things that can cause this, boost leak, bad coil/plugs, carbon, the downpipe mount that bolts onto the sub-fame and probably which would be my guess is that we need a DSG tune to fix this problem. iv seen people talked this same problem, i too suffer from this. from my experience i replaced the plug, had a cabon cleaning done at 95k ( now at 105K) check the downpipe hangers and im still experience it. i dont think i have a boost leak because i peak about 23psi and hold steady around 18 psi. if i do its probably a tiny leak but i dont think its enough to cause the issue. so my only options is a DSG tune which im waiting for cobb to release.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Shot in the dark here. I don't have a dsg and won't claim I know anything about them. Does the dsg change calibrations/adaptations based on tunes or does that not matter at all? Could it be possible the calibration is accustomed to the stock tune, so when you switch to the strat tune it acts funny?

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Shot in the dark here. I don't have a dsg and won't claim I know anything about them. Does the dsg change calibrations/adaptations based on tunes or does that not matter at all? Could it be possible the calibration is accustomed to the stock tune, so when you switch to the strat tune it acts funny?

not even i would claim to know much about dsg and i own one lol, but from reading through the forums, the dsg adapts to the driver driving style, as for adapting to the tune im not 100% sure. but the stock dsg has a set torque limit which may be why were experience this. sure the dsg can handle more than stage 2 number but a tune my be required to calibrate it to make sure everything is running smooth for stage 2 and beyond

JSwag420

Ready to race!
from what i read theres a few things that can cause this, boost leak, bad coil/plugs, carbon, the downpipe mount that bolts onto the sub-fame and probably which would be my guess is that we need a DSG tune to fix this problem. iv seen people talked this same problem, i too suffer from this. from my experience i replaced the plug, had a cabon cleaning done at 95k ( now at 105K) check the downpipe hangers and im still experience it. i dont think i have a boost leak because i peak about 23psi and hold steady around 18 psi. if i do its probably a tiny leak but i dont think its enough to cause the issue. so my only options is a DSG tune which im waiting for cobb to release.

I hit about 21 PSI at almost full throttle with just the ECU tune + Neuspeed P-Flo which I believe is about normal. Coils and plugs are good. I am probably due for a carbon cleaning since I haven't had one yet (52k miles). Hoping Cobb comes out with a DSG tune soon.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
APR 2.4 + TCU 1.6 DSG software tune and mine slams into gear at full boost on upshifts. 2-3 and 3-4 are the worst. Interesting that other tunes are seeing this as well.....

JSwag420

Ready to race!
APR 2.4 + TCU 1.6 DSG software tune and mine slams into gear at full boost on upshifts. 2-3 and 3-4 are the worst. Interesting that other tunes are seeing this as well.....

Yep. 2-3 and 3-4. Those will literally throw my passenger forward it jerks so hard. Doesn't do it under normal driving conditions though. Almost makes me hate driving in D. Don't really notice it in manual mode or sport mode. Hoping Cobb comes out with their DSG tune ASAP.

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the APR DSG tune on my GTI and it was horrible. Super jerky at low speeds and it would not down shift correctly at all when given full throttle at highway speeds. APR refunded me my money and took the tune off. Car has been perfect since it was removed. Just stick with the stock DSG tune. It shifts fast enough as it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Strange you guys are having issues with your DSG tunes. I love my APR DSG tune. It does an amazing job of not letting the car dump into 6th gear as soon as possible like it normally did. I'd even go for as to say I enjoyed the DSG tune more than going stage 1. The stock TCU is too quirky for my tastes. If anything, the stock TCU is "jerky" because it's constantly shifting at lower rpms.

Jaber

Modero
Strange you guys are having issues with your DSG tunes. I love my APR DSG tune. It does an amazing job of not letting the car dump into 6th gear as soon as possible like it normally did. I'd even go for as to say I enjoyed the DSG tune more than going stage 1. The stock TCU is too quirky for my tastes. If anything, the stock TCU is "jerky" because it's constantly shifting at lower rpms.

I have Unitronic Stage 1 TCU and I hated when it shifted so low while boosting high. That's when the gear changes felt rough.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I

I felt this way with APR v1.4 (or whatever revision it was) and APR TCU tune v1.6. All was well and super smooth up and down shifting. Then APR v2.4 came along and it was awesome in the beginning. But as it adapts my jerky upshifts come back. I've contemplated going back to v1.4 as they will apparently allow it, or just live with it as I'd surely miss the insane torque with APR 2.x and the high output files and DSG.

I'm at a loss, but then again I'm at almost 80k and 6+ years with this car so..... probably just suck it up until I get tired of it and upgrade.