GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine oil level!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
How much oil should it take to go from 2 - 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Ok, so I just found this info from the owners manual! I have looked at this before but remembered it differently so didn’t check again, looks like I have just simply put to much oil in! which is fine but I wouldn’t have thought it would react in this way with it being only ever so slightly over,

Markings on oil dipstick
1 - Max. mark
2 - Min. mark
a - Area above hatched field up to max. mark: Do not top up with engine oil!
b - Oil level within hatched zone: can be topped up with engine oil
c - Area from min. mark up to hatched field: Must be topped up, max. 0.5 l of engine oil!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
However, Still a little confused by this as i would have thought there would have been previous accounts of this if it is such a small amount of oil that creates the smoke, it doesn’t really make sense! It also did it after the head was fitted by my usual shop (they did an oil change as well) until I took out about 200ml as it looked a little high to me (this is what prompted me to remove some today too), why is it so sensitive? And how would it be getting to the cylinders presuming it is from being overfilled? Thanks.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Ok, so it turns out that one of the spark plugs is getting fouled with oil (on the electrode and thread), I don’t know why reducing the oil level stopped the smoke initially but it’s back, having had a new cylinder head would this point to piston rings? They were checked when the head was off and were in great shape! I couldn’t see any oil draining from the valve cover gasket so doesn’t look like it’s that? Without my knowledge My brother put some wynns stop smoke in the oil today and it’s completely (100%) stopped smoking on overrun so I can’t really do a compression test! Any thoughts please??

Teachmehowto20

Passed Driver's Ed
I filled mine too high once and went autocrossing, best guess from a MK5 gti guy there was too much oil, probably going into the turbo. I got a code though, i think it was intake sensor code though. I lowered oil and havent gotten the code since.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
adding oil to these engines seems to be so touchy. I'll change my oil, have nothing on the stick, add some, see nothing, add some, all of a sudden its too full.

I know you gotta check it on a warm engine thats been sitting for 5 minutes.

Just seems to be bs, but mines actually been just a hair too full, about where yours is showing to be in the diagram, and i'm not getting any smoke. Its almost worth draining a little out but on the other hand it consumes oil over time so i'm thinking 'ahh, this will resolve itself...'

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
adding oil to these engines seems to be so touchy. I'll change my oil, have nothing on the stick, add some, see nothing, add some, all of a sudden its too full.

I know you gotta check it on a warm engine thats been sitting for 5 minutes.

Just seems to be bs, but mines actually been just a hair too full, about where yours is showing to be in the diagram, and i'm not getting any smoke. Its almost worth draining a little out but on the other hand it consumes oil over time so i'm thinking 'ahh, this will resolve itself...'

Yeah I think you could be right and it’s not an issue if only over by the amount shown by the red line in the picture! I think I may well be barking up the wrong tree however (so to speak) !
I’m beginning to think I have a bigger issue that has been hiding in the background for a while! As I appear to have oil residue on the spark plug in cylinder 4 only, suggesting (as I have a whole new head already) that I have bad piston rings in that cylinder and possibly soon in all cylinders ?,

How big a job is it to replace the piston rings and what sort of cost and time frame would I be looking at??

I’ve already done so much to the car (repairs and retrofits) and it runs so sweet that It wouldn’t be right not to address this instead of bailing on it and selling up only to end up with a different car that had its own troubles!

apache

Passed Driver's Ed
Traditionally the difference between Min and Max on oil dipstick is exactly 1 quart.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Traditionally the difference between Min and Max on oil dipstick is exactly 1 quart.

This would explain why I initially over filled it, what damage could potentially be caused by topping off too high??

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
https://youtu.be/wx6sRCelBss

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cool but maybe a little more oil than I was thinking[emoji23], with just a small overfill would it potentially cause damage to anything? Maybe seals or the piston rings or piston oil rings? Caused by excess pressure maybe?? I don’t know if this could happen though! Just a thought.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Cool but maybe a little more oil than I was thinking[emoji23], with just a small overfill would it potentially cause damage to anything? Maybe seals or the piston rings or piston oil rings? Caused by excess pressure maybe?? I don’t know if this could happen though! Just a thought.

On a more serious note overfilling slightly I don't think is a big deal I'm sure lots of people just put in the whole 5L when really we need only 4.9L. generally the more you overfill the more crankcase pressure and more strain on seals. Also ur oil can get foamy or frothy and not lubricate anymore and give resistance to parts trying to move through it.