GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
UPDATE: Started my car this morning and had a CEL. It was P2015. I've had this come on and off intermittently and haven't been able to catch it to have the dealer see it to cover it under warranty. Just my luck it comes back on right after I flash.

Two questions: I know I will flag TD1, but does that have a timestamp associated with it? I'm hoping they will still cover it under the extended warranty since they have done warranty work for me in the past. Second, if I flash back to stock will that clear the codes, or should I just leave it at what map is on there now?

If they plug in they will know its been flashed even if you are on the "Stock" map. The computer keeps track of how many times its been flashed and if they want they can look at the number and how many logged flashes a dealer has done and then it will auto flag via the computer.

If they dont plug it in to the computer to check you should probably be okay in the stock map. However if its gonna be warranty work they will most likely plug it in.

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
UPDATE: Started my car this morning and had a CEL. It was P2015. I've had this come on and off intermittently and haven't been able to catch it to have the dealer see it to cover it under warranty. Just my luck it comes back on right after I flash.

Two questions: I know I will flag TD1, but does that have a timestamp associated with it? I'm hoping they will still cover it under the extended warranty since they have done warranty work for me in the past. Second, if I flash back to stock will that clear the codes, or should I just leave it at what map is on there now?

That is definitely a bummer! Unfortunately, the best method to going about this is to Uninstall the Accessport completely. This will remove all programming from the ECU and it will appear just as it was before the installation. This does include an ECU reset so the code will be cleared. Hopefully it comes back up within a short period and you can take it to the dealer to be addressed before re-Installing the Accessport.

Marshall@COBB

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
That is definitely a bummer! Unfortunately, the best method to going about this is to Uninstall the Accessport completely. This will remove all programming from the ECU and it will appear just as it was before the installation. This does include an ECU reset so the code will be cleared. Hopefully it comes back up within a short period and you can take it to the dealer to be addressed before re-Installing the Accessport.

Marshall@COBB

Crap...I left it as is and already dropped it off at the dealer. So uninstalling the AP is completely undetectable that the car was ever tuned?

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Crap...I left it as is and already dropped it off at the dealer. So uninstalling the AP is completely undetectable that the car was ever tuned?

COBB or anyone that knows more than me about these cars (which is the majority here) can correct me if I'm wrong. I think once you uninstall the AP it will load the original file back on the ECU like it was before the tune. Meaning that if you uninstall the AP it will not throw a TD1 flag but they could still question it as it will show multiple flashes to the ECU.

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
COBB or anyone that knows more than me about these cars (which is the majority here) can correct me if I'm wrong. I think once you uninstall the AP it will load the original file back on the ECU like it was before the tune. Meaning that if you uninstall the AP it will not throw a TD1 flag but they could still question it as it will show multiple flashes to the ECU.
I guess I was under the impression the number of flashes which wouldn't match the number of dealer flashes IS what causes the TD1 flag. So you're still hosed.

Edit: Love to get a clear concise answer on this from Cobb.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SirClimax

Ready to race!
I guess I was under the impression the number of flashes which wouldn't match the number of dealer flashes IS what causes the TD1 flag. So you're still hosed.

Edit: Love to get a clear concise answer on this from Cobb.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The problem is that unless someone goes into the dealership and asks them to scan it for TD1 and show them the results after uninstalling the AP it is purely speculation. And I have not heard of anyone (even Cobb) doing this.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion

This

TD1 is when the tune is still there. If there is a mismatch of flashes they can manually flag it I believe it was TS25 or something like that.

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
This

TD1 is when the tune is still there. If there is a mismatch of flashes they can manually flag it I believe it was TS25 or something like that.

Check out this post from the mk7 forums: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

The way I understand it is that the TD1 flag is not something that lives on the ECU. It is tied to your VIN in VW's system. So whether the tune is still there or not there is a potential to get flagged for TD1.

Quoted from the above thread:
Now let's talk about how a VIN number get flagged with a TD1 code. I’ve read all sorts of thing that people have imagined up about how this works; from the dealership flagging the VIN because you have an intake all the way to tuners reporting your VIN numbers back to VW/Audi. How it happens is actually very simple, there is nothing a dealership does to intentionally throw you under the bus. The dealership does NOT have the ability to manually “flag” a vehicle that has been modified, the entire process of flagging a VIN with TD1 code is completely behind the scenes and unintentional and unannounced at the dealership level. The way warranty has worked since 2004 with Audi/VW is that you are REQUIRED by the manufacturer to submit a GFF (Guided Fault Finding) log online with any and all warranty repairs for engine, transmission, or electrical related warranty claims. If it’s a mechanical suspension problem there’s no reason to submit a GFF log but if it’s anything that throws a fault in ANY system a GFF log is required or the manufacturer will deny the warranty claim and the dealership eats the cost. If the dealer eats the cost because the tech did not provide adequate documentation, the tech does not get paid for the work they did. Obviously the tech does not want to work for free, therefore GFF log are ALWAYS sent in to ensure payment on warranty repairs. Anytime you run a GFF log or you perform an SVM (software) update the scan tool records all sorts of hidden data and sends it back to the manufacturer. That’s how a VIN gets flagged with TD1, it’s not the dealership telling on you, it’s the factory scan tool detecting something not factory in the software and reporting it back to the manufacturer.

Good news is I got a call from the dealer and they said it will be covered under warranty, but maybe it just hasn't flagged yet in the system?:iono: Until I drive off the lot without paying I won't be 100% certain.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Check out this post from the mk7 forums: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

The way I understand it is that the TD1 flag is not something that lives on the ECU. It is tied to your VIN in VW's system. So whether the tune is still there or not there is a potential to get flagged for TD1.

Good news is I got a call from the dealer and they said it will be covered under warranty, but maybe it just hasn't flagged yet in the system?:iono: Until I drive off the lot without paying I won't be 100% certain.

Even if your car does get the TD1 flag, that in no way means that they wont do proper warranty work. They have to prove that it is the reason for the failure.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion

MMMMKAY6 was right, hence why I agreed with him, and that post on golfmk7 confirms that same. I never said anything about td1 being in the ecu. Vw's system can determine non-stock software and flag the car/vin, this is TD1.

However for major warranty issues its not uncommon to have a field rep or adviser or whatever they are called come out and inspect the car. This is where the flash date issue comes into play and manually flagged.

At the end of the day though, as a said previously I wouldn't worry as none of this matters since there is a known issue and extended warranty on the intake manifold. I have seen dozens of tune cars get the manifold replaced without issue. As long as the manifold hasn't physically be tampered with or modified there is no reason they would deny warranty.

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
MMMMKAY6 was right, hence why I agreed with him, and that post on golfmk7 confirms that same. I never said anything about td1 being in the ecu. Vw's system can determine non-stock software and flag the car/vin, this is TD1.

However for major warranty issues its not uncommon to have a field rep or adviser or whatever they are called come out and inspect the car. This is where the flash date issue comes into play and manually flagged.

At the end of the day though, as a said previously I wouldn't worry as none of this matters since there is a known issue and extended warranty on the intake manifold. I have seen dozens of tune cars get the manifold replaced without issue. As long as the manifold hasn't physically be tampered with or modified there is no reason they would deny warranty.

Ah yes, I read between the lines and assumed you meant in the ECU. Good to know about the last paragraph though. Cheers!

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I was running Stage 2 V103 Stock MAF Beta. Have there been changes that warrant me flashing to the released version?

SirClimax

Ready to race!
I was running Stage 2 V103 Stock MAF Beta. Have there been changes that warrant me flashing to the released version?

I am wondering the same thing