GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

UberFast

Ready to race!
Serial number is also under the front cover. Front cover simply pops off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
A few bits of info on spring pressure and preload:

1. As was suggested above you want your spring pressure around half of the max boost you will run. Maximum boost pressure is 2.5 times spring before you just can't effectively control boost electronically. So having a 5psi WG spring is not ideal. I think a lot of kits come with this because they are designed to not upset a canned tune too much and overboost. An ideal spring pressure for above 20psi of boost is 10-14psi.

2. Preload dictates spiking and boost ramp. I recommend 2-3 millimeteres of preload and no more. Adding more will increase spiking on boost onset but will not help hold more boost as that is the spring constant that does not change.

3. The variations I have seen between K04 kits does not look to me like it is intercooler related. After tuning thousands of cars over the years, I can tell you boost response is not going to be significantly changed by the FMIC as we are seeing here. Yes, some slight variation is normal but not like Im seeing between cars. What I am seeing suggests that some of these kits come with stronger springs than others. If you're installing a new kit it might be worth checking cracking spring pressure and preload before putting it on using a hand pump.

FriggenT1

Banned
A few bits of info on spring pressure and preload:

1. As was suggested above you want your spring pressure around half of the max boost you will run. Maximum boost pressure is 2.5 times spring before you just can't effectively control boost electronically. So having a 5psi WG spring is not ideal. I think a lot of kits come with this because they are designed to not upset a canned tune too much and overboost. An ideal spring pressure for above 20psi of boost is 10-14psi.

2. Preload dictates spiking and boost ramp. I recommend 2-3 millimeteres of preload and no more. Adding more will increase spiking on boost onset but will not help hold more boost as that is the spring constant that does not change.

3. The variations I have seen between K04 kits does not look to me like it is intercooler related. After tuning thousands of cars over the years, I can tell you boost response is not going to be significantly changed by the FMIC as we are seeing here. Yes, some slight variation is normal but not like Im seeing between cars. What I am seeing suggests that some of these kits come with stronger springs than others. If you're installing a new kit it might be worth checking cracking spring pressure and preload before putting it on using a hand pump.

Good info on that Alex, appreciate that. With all due respect to your knowledge though, I have definitely experienced a boost loss with the Wagner., not that the car was slower, but just different I guess. To run more aggressive boost though, we both agree that its not ideal to have a friggen 5 psi spring.:thumbup:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I guess what it comes down to, is im just looking for definitive math. I got port n polish k04, with the crack pressure set to factory 6psi. I have apr IC and upgraded boost pipes (outlet and throttle body). Now lets put tune aside and assume the appropriate tune. Right now I have 23psi taper to 20 with ~90%wgdc at some intermediate part of the pull.
If I add a forge wastegate and adjust the tune, am I going to make more power?
And if I get more psi out of the k04, is it useful pressure or way past efficiency pressure?

If I can get a definite yes or no to this question, my next mod will be the 3bar map sensor and forge wastegate

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I guess what it comes down to, is im just looking for definitive math. I got port n polish k04, with the crack pressure set to factory 6psi. I have apr IC and upgraded boost pipes (outlet and throttle body). Now lets put tune aside and assume the appropriate tune. Right now I have 23psi taper to 20 with ~90%wgdc at some intermediate part of the pull.
And if I get more psi out of the k04, is it useful pressure or way past efficiency pressure?

If I can get a definite yes or no to this question, my next mod will be the 3bar map sensor and forge wastegate

For some reason I thought most K04 tunes required the 3bar map sensor? I'm not K04 yet but eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeez

Ready to race!
For some reason I thought most K04 tunes required the 3bar map sensor? I'm not K04 yet but eventually.

I'm K04 and don't have a 3 BAR. Alex explicitly told me in an email it was not necessary at this point.

That was before the new WGA so maybe it's changed but he still hasn't suggested one. FYI.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I'm K04 and don't have a 3 BAR. Alex explicitly told me in an email it was not necessary at this point.

That was before the new WGA so maybe it's changed but he still hasn't suggested one. FYI.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Cool thanks! So does more apply to the BT setups?

jeez

Ready to race!
Cool thanks! So does more apply to the BT setups?

It depends on the tuner...I'm not sure why. Alex didn't recommend one, but APR includes one with their K04 kit. That could be due to the fact that APR has OTS tunes vs custom. Also, for bigger turbos (say GTX) I would assume higher PSI (30 maybe). We have a 2.5 BAR MAP sensor (actually I believe 2.55) which is basically 2.55 BAR - Ambient BAR at sea level (1) = 1.55 BAR = 22.5 PSI...which is right around where you should see your logs max out with the AP...e.g I can never see above 22.9 PSI, no matter what. You'll see a flat line at some points. Basically means you're above ~23 PSI.

So if Alex comes around and says yea put it on you'll benefit from it, I will.

FriggenT1

Banned

Yes, you will make more power, efficiency goes up when a turbo is ported and polished, when large ic is added, when bends are smoothed out, etc. If you are running 90+ % wgdc is when you are making it more dangerous for your turbo.

Think about it, your wg is not tight enough, so its got to work that turbo harder to achieve target, if not, it will work harder and harder. With a 10 psi spring, you can achieve target levels easily which = lower wgdc, which also means with a few turns you can up the boost a few psi which = morepowah, while STILL running cooler than most other set ups with smaller or non upgraded intercoolers.

Gino

Ready to race!
Tuning form submitted. Thanks for all the responses about figuring out the AP info.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Quick review now that my tune is complete.

Compared to COBB OTS Stage 2 Stock MAF, the car is faster, smoother, and sounds amazing with the crackles. I gained a few PSI over the COBB map and the entire power band has extra pull to it. It feels like I have constant boost that holds much better throughout a pull. Shifts are smoother (manual) and everything just feels "right." The COBB tune was far from bad, but this tune made me love my car even more.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Quick review now that my tune is complete.

Compared to COBB OTS Stage 2 Stock MAF, the car is faster, smoother, and sounds amazing with the crackles. I gained a few PSI over the COBB map and the entire power band has extra pull to it. It feels like I have constant boost that holds much better throughout a pull. Shifts are smoother (manual) and everything just feels "right." The COBB tune was far from bad, but this tune made me love my car even more.

Pop pop pop!

jon570

Ready to race!
Does anyone know how the OTS cobb map compares to the low torque file from stratified? Or what kind of numbers it obtains.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Does anyone know how the OTS cobb map compares to the low torque file from stratified? Or what kind of numbers it obtains.
i dont no numbers. (and im high torque stratified) but stratified tune is 100X smoother than cobbs OTS tune.