GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long did your factory battery last?

Pabloco

Passed Driver's Ed
With a build date of late 2012, mine needed replacement at 2-1/2 years (admittedly I don't drive much, so alternator charge-back wasn't maximized). I opted OEM/VW battery as replacement. Now at another 2-1/2 years, so far so good. Sounds like you got a good one!

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Ive been wondering this a lot lately. I have a 2013 and still on the factory battery. Still starts strong. Curious to see how it does this winter...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
At 5 years old now (for the OP) and winter coming, I wouldn't chance it & I'd replace it.
You're going to be doing it regardless anyways

Usually the VW batteries start dying after 3-4 years & cold weather kills their life and/or that's when you find out it's not doing it's job anymore
It'd suck to be stranded when it's cold, so I'd replace yours too whitewolf33

Emkay1

My battery kicked the bucket a month ago. Late 2010 with about 36,000 miles on her. Killed by the first few cold nights of fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Same battery, bought new GTI in June 2010.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
my 2011 car the battery died in 2013 and the replacement died in 2017. I bought a advanced Auto platinum one with a 5 year warranty now.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Battery from my 2010 model died in the fall of 2016.

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Mines a 2012 original battery. The girlfriends 2014 beetle battery took a crap last week.

Jaber

Modero
Build 2013, died a couple months ago @ 38k. Only warning I got was a weak crank, before it finally kicked the bucket the next time I tried to start it.

B6JoeS4

Ready to race!
It's better to replace it and keep it fresh. A weak battery puts stress on the alternator and the starter and will wear them out faster. Keep the battery fresh and those components will last forever.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Mine only lasted 2 years in the FL heat.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
2013 GTI- Mine lasted 4 years. It started cranking slower & rather than be stuck somewhere I replaced it last month with an Advanced Auto Parts Platinum AGM battery. Cranks very fast now.