GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Dial up Failed" problem with Bluetooth - Need of some help

bruck

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

This is a bit of a long story - but I think it needs to be told/posted because this problem is too intermittent (and seemingly rare) for the dealer to solve at this point. I am also a Computer Technician so I have attempted to do my own troubleshooting.

The Background Facts:
Car purchased in August '11, brand new. Rns-315 + 9WL (Module 1)
Phone owned at the time: iPhone 4 (Mine)

Drove car until November-ish. Started having Bluetooth issue (completely different issue) - Codes were detected, New Bluetooth Module Installed (Module 2)

Few weeks after Module 2 was installed, "Dial up Failed" issue began.

The Issue:

I drive a lot, and this only happens once in a while, about once or twice per week, but I get in and out of my car 3 - 6 times a day so this is like 1 in every 40 - 50 drives.

Get in car, Phone is working perfectly. After 1 or 2 calls - I will usually notice the problem when an incoming call is completely undetected by my Car. At this point it is not possible to "switch" the source back to the VW Phone entry. It is also not possible to make calls from the radio. Any call attempts from the radio are met with a 20 second pause and a "Dial Up Failed" message in the cluster.. At this time, the signal strength indicator in my cluster is also no longer accurate, it stays stuck on the position it was in when the bluetooth connection was "dropped" - I say "dropped" in quotes because both the phone and car believe they can still see each other at this time, they just fail to communicate.

This problem has happened to my wife's phone and mine. It also never happened with Module 1.

Recently my dealer replaced my Bluetooth Module (with Module 3). - after a TON of begging to corporate because I have yet to get the problem to produce itself while at the dealer. - now in order to continue replacing parts they will need to actually see it happen in person. They say the 10 videos I've taken are not admissible.

The problem is still happening, in fact its happening more often.

I'm a little confused as to what could be the culprit. Maybe its my RNS-315 unit itself? If it really was possible to get 2 Bluetooth Modules in a row with this problem, then surely lots of other people would have this issue happening. I'm 90% certain its not my iPhone or the Firmware - not my phone because its happening with my wife's phone - and its not all iPhones, because again this problem is rare. Its also not happening all the time.

My phone is always in the cup holder, and please remember that before Module 2 was installed, (at 15,000 miles) - I had not had this problem ever before.

I did find a guy on VWvortex with a tiguan, with an RNS 510, that had this issue - but he never followed up if its gone.

Is this happening to anyone else? Thanks for your help and time.

raaalph

Ready to race!
I've got a samsung captivate (I know...completely different phone and OS) and was having very similar problems, but an upgrade from Android 2.2 to 2.3 fixed everything.

Prior to the OS upgrade, my only workaround was denying my GTI access to my phone's address book (it would prompt me for permission every time I got in the car, and I would just ignore it). This killed my ability to do voice-activated dialing (using names), so I would just dial out using my phone's touchscreen instead.

This may not help you out at all, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share

bruck

Ready to race!
I've got a samsung captivate (I know...completely different phone and OS) and was having very similar problems, but an upgrade from Android 2.2 to 2.3 fixed everything.

Prior to the OS upgrade, my only workaround was denying my GTI access to my phone's address book (it would prompt me for permission every time I got in the car, and I would just ignore it). This killed my ability to do voice-activated dialing (using names), so I would just dial out using my phone's touchscreen instead.

This may not help you out at all, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share

Interesting - so your phone ALWAYS said Dial Up Failed with your address book turned on with 2.2 - but after 2.3 it always works now - or was your problem sporadic like mine. I ask because I think I either saw your thread or someone else with android and their solution was the same as yours, but theirs NEVER worked till they did that - whereas mine works 90% of the time I drive the car for hours on end. - except once per week when this happens.

no matter what - all the info I can gather is valuable, so thank you for sharing your experience.

raaalph

Ready to race!
Mine would work for the first received or dialed call, then every subsequent call would fail with the "Dial up failed" message.

To get past this, I would have to unpair the devices (which usually failed on the car's side...MFI would freeze up then say no phone paired), turn my phone's Bluetooth off/on, then try pairing again. After pairing again, the phone would work about half of the time (for one call, then the process starts all over again) :mad0259:

In your case, this could all be completely unrelated. But, it might not hurt to try disabling address book access. I'm not even sure if/how this is possible with an iPhone. Like I stated in the first post, my phone would prompt me upon the initial pairing, then every time I started my car after that.

bruck

Ready to race!
Mine would work for the first received or dialed call, then every subsequent call would fail with the "Dial up failed" message.

To get past this, I would have to unpair the devices (which usually failed on the car's side...MFI would freeze up then say no phone paired), turn my phone's Bluetooth off/on, then try pairing again. After pairing again, the phone would work about half of the time (for one call, then the process starts all over again) :mad0259:

In your case, this could all be completely unrelated. But, it might not hurt to try disabling address book access. I'm not even sure if/how this is possible with an iPhone. Like I stated in the first post, my phone would prompt me upon the initial pairing, then every time I started my car after that.

After reading your suggestion, I disabled address book sync (its a setting inside the iPhone's relationship settings for bluetooth) and the problem actually happened 2 drives later - I did at that time realize that my 1300 contacts are stored inside the car still - so I'm considering resetting the bluetooth to factory settings to erase those contacts and seeing if that helps - but I'm thinking it will have no effect.

bruck

Ready to race!
Yeah I have the same problem on mine is very annoying.

Is your phone an iPhone 4 or 4s? What steps has your dealer taken to eliminate the problem (if at all)?

AFter my last bluetooth kit install - my problem has definitely gotten much worse. (went from happening once per week to 4 or 5 times per week, sometimes twice in one day).

New things I have tried:

Turned off Address Book syncing, Restored bluetooth kit to factory defaults - did not help at all. Problem happened on very first connection to phone.

DRGTI

Ready to race!
This may sound crazy but could it be that you are using 2 BT modules ( rns-315 internal BT and 9wl) I have a rns-315 in my GTI and nothing else never had that problem. Or maybe is something else, just thought I share. Good luck

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
I've got the exact same problem. I'm using the same phone, same RNS-315 I've always had, but I updated to iOS 5.1 the other week. Now, I drop calls, miss calls, cant dial. It will hook up, just like you say, then freeze but not let you know it is frozen because the antenna strength still shows up OK (but frozen, not reflecting actual strength).

I've disconnected in both the GTI and the iPhone, but that did not help at all.

Any other suggestions? I miss having bluetooth dialing!!!!!!!!! :mad0259:

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I have a Droid X, and I get a "Dial Up Failed" problem about once a week, so it isn't to big of a problem for me.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
I read of a new "fix" for this issue: turn Siri off.

I tried this on a short (10 minute) drive and it worked as far as I could tell. I was able to make a call at both the beginning and end of my drive. Will keep Siri off for my drive home (30 minutes with one stop [i.e. connect and disconnect]) and will report back after that test.

EDIT: learned how to properly do a hard system reset on the iPhone. I did this at the same time as the Siri Off test. No idea which one might work but given that I reset my phone to factory settings I doubt a hard reset would have much effect.