GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SHOW US WHAT YOUR GOLF R CAN DO WITH ESC OFF!

0cMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
im not expecting this car to be a drift king... i just want to see the difference since soo many people/owners/reviews were complaining about this feature not being able to turn off at drivers command.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
lol... its not going to happen unless you have stage 2+. i know most Rs in CA and most are stage 1+ but they all said the car just wont throw it out like an sti or evo.

expect disappointment. unless you are like stage 2+.

That R vs. Evo vid was done by Jason Cammisa, who is the biggest Volkswagen apologist in automotive journalism, if not on the entire planet.

While finally being able to disable stability control in the US is awesome, the Haldex system in the R is not remotely in the league of the Mitsu system. The Evo is full time AWD, has proper differentials, and the SAYC in the back will rotate the car with oversteer while in throttle. Try that in a stock R without lifting.

You guys ever heard of the Haldex competition controller?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie

drhiggens

Ready to race!
So this thread brought out the trolls for an honest question. An awd drift king? You have to go so fast in a awd car to break all the wheels loose for a drift its silly to even get into that.
Having a stage 2+ R with the esc off is a good time on dry pavement you can break the rear end loose with a good flick but it will hook back up quick if you don't apply more and more throttle just ease it on smoothly.
At speed say on a freeway on ramp you have to really me moving and have some balls to break it loose, i have tried to ease it out and it's just not happening for me with the stock controller, and I'm not about to try and load and flick it at 80 on a public road with trees as my run off.
It's much more fun but it the evo will always be faster from point A to B just my 2¢.
Next upgrade is the controller though.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
sure, i can make my car drift sideways with more green spent as well.. :rolleyes:. go sink more money into the car.

Throwing down the plastic now. Great advice, thanks!

Dork.

Wow....says the guy with fake R all over his car lol. Why didn't you just buy a R, instead of dumping all those money on fake badge, lights, etc? It's just a regular golf. :dnftt:

Excellent first post!

C4L

Banned
That R vs. Evo vid was done by Jason Cammisa, who is the biggest Volkswagen apologist in automotive journalism, if not on the entire planet.

While finally being able to disable stability control in the US is awesome, the Haldex system in the R is not remotely in the league of the Mitsu system. The Evo is full time AWD, has proper differentials, and the SAYC in the back will rotate the car with oversteer while in throttle. Try that in a stock R without lifting.

But the Evo has a 61/39 torque split. It is mostly FWD...

Noize

Go Kart Champion

That's a bit incomplete and misleading. Here's some information straight from Mitsubishi that is a nice technical read:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=210643&postcount=1

There is so much more to handling dynamics in an AWD car than just raw torque split. As you know, Haldex is FWD in default mode. ACD in the Evo is full time AWD but will vary to 50:50. The STI is a bit more rear torque biased than the Evo, but still has substantially more understeer and doesn't handle anywhere nearly as well.

When coupled with SAYC, there is no need for more than 50% of the torque to go to the rear wheels. The yaw control will cause the car to throttle-on rotate like a rear wheel drive car, sending torque to the outside rear wheel. It's loads of fun, if not a bit unnatural at first. I spun my Evo X a couple times when I was getting used to it on dry tarmac.

It's not my intention to belittle the R, but even with a stability control disabled and a Haldex controller installed, it's nowhere near the league of an Evo in the handling department. Some of the cost of the R goes into comfort, whereas the Evo is a focused track tool. The Evo has a much stiffer chassis, better suspension, active yaw control, wider and more aggressive tires, and substantially better brakes.

On the power side of things, the Evo's advantage continues. It has a larger turbocharger than the K04, more tuning options, and an engine that can safely rev 1000rpm deeper than the FSI.

Last edited:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
haha its so funny to watch the R just mobbin no problem. and then the more expensive cars like the BMW and i think it was a Mercedes just spin out. awesomeeeee.

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!

Comparing the R to the Evo is like comparing the hot 19 year old to the experienced 35 year old. One is nice to look at while the other will always knock your socks off