GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it good/ bad for your car to be sitting on bump stops?

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
First of, i’ve had my care lowered on koni yellow with H&R SS for a while now and been contemplating getting coils, long story short i came across a thread and mentioned its bad for you car to sit on bump stops, which lead me to look at mine and from what i can tell the front is fine but the rears is sitting on the bump stops, it it normal for the rears to rear on the them?
I’ve attached a photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The Bump Stops are there for a reason.

Is it good to hit them all the time? Like Daily? No.

Lowering a car is great for aesthetics, but does not always help in handling. Remember that.

You can cut the bump stops to give you a little more clearance, but dont go crazy or you can blow the O Rings in your Struts.

Another downside to having a lowered car. Sad to say, Been there done that, I learned the hard way, will never lower a car again UNLESS its with a good coil over set up and corner balanced with a VERY mild drop.

Jeff

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
The Bump Stops are there for a reason.

Is it good to hit them all the time? Like Daily? No.

Lowering a car is great for aesthetics, but does not always help in handling. Remember that.

You can cut the bump stops to give you a little more clearance, but dont go crazy or you can blow the O Rings in your Struts.

Another downside to having a lowered car. Sad to say, Been there done that, I learned the hard way, will never lower a car again UNLESS its with a good coil over set up and corner balanced with a VERY mild drop.

Jeff

Thank you for the info, yeah just recently I thought about raising the car up higher that what it is for the same reason, I’m trying to decide weather to replace the H&R ss to DG springs or go with a set of coils.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You'll also have a rougher ride with it hitting/compressing the bump stops....which are limiting your suspension travel (during compression)

I'd trim them up and/or find shorter ones

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
No, it shouldn't be that close. IIRC, H&R's included paperwork has instructions for cutting the rear bump stops when installing Super Sports.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
You'll also have a rougher ride with it hitting/compressing the bump stops....which are limiting your suspension travel (during compression)

I'd trim them up and/or find shorter ones

No, it shouldn't be that close. IIRC, H&R's included paperwork has instructions for cutting the rear bump stops when installing Super Sports.

Thanks guys, im got the springs used so I didn’t have the instructions for cutting them. Im going to find the instructions online and cut them accordingly

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Just of note,

If I am not mistaken the DG springs are Linear, vs the H&R's are progressive. Personally I like how the OEM springs are linear. I would stick with DG's if I were you and trim the bump stops a little.

If you are running Bilstein B6's I beleive the piston travel in the strut is suited for lowering springs, vs the B8's are set up for factory ride height. I may have those numbers reversed though.

So basically, dont cut the bump stops too much. Check with who ever made your struts the ones in your photo look like either Koni's or Bilsteins. See what they recommend. They may even have a bump stop specifically for their application.

Worth investigating.

Jeff

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
It's only "bad" to be rolling on bumpstops if you want a smooth ride. Otherwise it's not much different than having really stiff springs.

Before I did my struts I measured that the rear bumpstops were basically just touching the strut. VW designed them like this to progressively ramp up the rear spring rate without having to resort to a super stiff linear spring. It's why this car's mid corner balance is so good. It also allows you to throw 500 lbs of passengers in the back with luggage without the car sagging too much while preserving a smooth ride for when there's no extra load in the back. If you cut it you'll effectively lower the spring rate, similar to the effect you'd feel if you put a smaller swaybar in.

My recommendation.... if the ride isn't harsh, leave it be.