GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

Kyle Butler

Ready to race!
Had this problem twice this morning, and the worse one yet where it actually sputtered and stalled. How depressing. Was a cool evening/morning.

Cygnusx11

So, I have a 2011 GTI with just under 4000 miles. Car has regular, not pushbutton, ignition. About 3 weeks ago, took the kids to a restaurant, park, eat, come back out around over an hour later and the car starts, but revs only around 700 rpm and proceeds to stall out over the next couple of seconds. Car started fine on the next start. No further issues on start until yesterday. Run out for an errand. Park the car for less than 10 minutes. Come back to car, fire it up and same thing. Sounds like a very weak start, revs only to 700 or 800 rpm and proceeds to stall out over next few seconds. After that car started fine.
The only other fact that I am aware of that may be pertinent is the day after I bought the car in April, itnfailed to turnover at all, I had to have it towed to dealer and they replaced a faulty starter relay (the car had about 30 miles on it when that happened).
Anyone figure out what is going on with these stalls on ignition?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I guess I should chime in here...
I've got an '11 DSG w/key ignition.
About two weeks ago I started the car on a very hot (100 degree) day.
The car sounded a bit rough and weak - I blipped the throttle while the car was still in park - I hadn't put it in gear yet - the engine correcter itself, and I was on my way.
The car had the same tank of 93 Shell that it usually has in it.

Pinoymk6

Passed Driver's Ed
i think i might know whats going on with these cars. i think it has to do with the high pressure pump for the direct injection system. we have the same problem with the new direct injection cayennes and 911 and actually have a recall out for installing new high pressure pumps. i bet it's the same problem cause the symptoms are the same. loss of power!

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
So far no more starting issues since I switched to Chevron from Shell. Hmm.

mgk77

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I have a 2011 GTI with just under 4000 miles. Car has regular, not pushbutton, ignition. About 3 weeks ago, took the kids to a restaurant, park, eat, come back out around over an hour later and the car starts, but revs only around 700 rpm and proceeds to stall out over the next couple of seconds. Car started fine on the next start. No further issues on start until yesterday. Run out for an errand. Park the car for less than 10 minutes. Come back to car, fire it up and same thing. Sounds like a very weak start, revs only to 700 or 800 rpm and proceeds to stall out over next few seconds. After that car started fine.

My experience has been almost the exact same.

2011 GTI, DSG, Regular Keyed ignition, purchased in May and now has 3200 miles on the odometer. Had it happen today - left parking garage at the office, started fine. Drove about 5 minutes to a restaurant, ate, 20 minutes later came out, died on start 2x. 3rd time, gave it a hint of throttle, and it was fine. Always use 93 octane gas from a "top tier" gas station.

Originally, had this happen within the couple days of ownership, thought at the time it was bad gas as it went away. Curiously, every time this has happened, it's been on a very hot / humid day. Maybe a half-dozen times or so since I've gotten the car that it's happened. Never had this problem on my '08 Rabbit.

P

plac

Keyless start? Hold the button down longer. That is what I was experiencing and it resolved that problem.

if you have to do that, something is wrong with your car. I press my button for less than a second and let go. it spins till it starts, usually instantly. you are not supposed to hold the button.

ADoc1980

Passed Driver's Ed
So tonight I went to start it after having it do the stall thing several times over the first week I've owned it, and tonight it decided to flash the alternator error light and die. Now I can't even turn the key to try and start it again and the wheel is basically stuck. Having it towed to the dealer tomorrow.

Had it exactly one week and driven less than 400 miles. I'm quite annoyed right now.

Uberryan

Banned
i can imagine. best of luck, buddy. Let us know what they find, as a lot of us might end up in the same boat.

djax1

Ready to race!
any updates, progress?

guys, i'm glad i found this thread. i just purchased my '11 GTI two weeks ago and experienced the stalling issue 4 times so far. has anybody spoken to VW (besides sethmark) and heard any news about this issue?

ADoc1980

Passed Driver's Ed
guys, i'm glad i found this thread. i just purchased my '11 GTI two weeks ago and experienced the stalling issue 4 times so far. has anybody spoken to VW (besides sethmark) and heard any news about this issue?

So I took mine in and they said I had some codes (not sure what that even means) that they couldn't clear out and they couldn't do anything for me. They told me they had seen it once before, but that guy's codes cleared and he stopped having the problem. That was a week ago and I haven't had the stalling issue happen again.

Two things. First, I am now on my 3rd tank of gas after the tank the dealer put in it for me when I got it. Second, I have found that making sure I am on the brake and stay on the brake through the initial start up seems to help. No idea if there is anything to any of that, but thought I'd share.

XPorscheGuy

We have experienced a possibly related problem. Only a couple of times though, not with regularity. What happens is that when starting from rest the engine seems to be disconnected from the pedal, i.e. when you go to start off nothing happens. Sort of like used to happen in the days of carburetors when the engine was heat soaked (some engines). A little disconcerting. It seems to happen when on an upgrade mostly.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
So far since I switched over to Chevron from Shell I have had no issues.

Uberryan

Banned
it's been here and there for me. Seems like the further I get away from the tank the dealer gave me, the better. It's had a few rough starts, but nothing that stalled out and died like before. I've been getting in the giving the fuel pump time to prep as it automatically does when you unlock and open the driver-side door. However, I've been cycling the ignition a few times, and then turning it over without issue.

Few times I'll just turn it over and maybe 1 out of every 5 times it'll feel a little rough.