GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My wife's 2013 WRX vs my Golf R comparison

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Good comparison OP. I come from 2013 sti and even thoug you compared to wrx, I agree with you on almost everything. I do enjoy stock suspension an steering feel of sti more than R though.
My stage 1+ R feels about same as STOCK sti. So it just shows how well sti performs.

But what I like most about my R is the keyless entry!! Lol.

Aw dude, kessy is AMAZING. If I never had it I'd think it was gimmicky or whatever and could totally live without. After a year of kessy it has become a mandatory feature.

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
You know I had a lot of the same thoughts yesterday. I don't drive an R but get similar power to the STI with the K04. Honestly just in driving around in the WRX it just didn't feel as refined as even the GTI with the cheap feeling and hard interior. Your writeup is extensive (which I like) and unbiased (read: giving fact instead of straight opinion).

When I read things like this, it makes me happy that I went with VW, so I thank you for your honest review :thumbsup:

Also both are beautiful cars, so enjoy.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Aw dude, kessy is AMAZING. If I never had it I'd think it was gimmicky or whatever and could totally live without. After a year of kessy it has become a mandatory feature.

I was the same way with Kessy, comfort access (BMW), and other similar systems.

so you got it for $2,500 under MSRP.... :drool: could I borrow you next time I am buying a car?

haha, that's not that uncommon if you do your homework ;) and ask for price quotes from several dealers.

roninsoldier83

Ready to race!
The 2011 STI is a different animal from the 2008 STI. Here's a plot for better comparison between the 2011 WRX and 2011 STI (my actual car here on Cobb Tuning Plano)

Oh wow, that WRX is a freak! Honestly, I haven't really understood Subaru's mentality since they beefed up the WRX so much. Giving out that much performance for the WRX makes it a little tough to justify the STI IMO, especially considering the interiors & options are so similar. Although Subaru seems to be doing a LOT better at selling WRX's & STI's than Mitsubishi is at selling Lancer Ralliarts (everyone seems to fork over the extra cash for the EVO), so maybe they're doing something right?!?

roninsoldier83

Ready to race!
so you got it for $2,500 under MSRP.... :drool: could I borrow you next time I am buying a car?

Haha, it really just requires a good bit of calling around to different dealers and getting them into a bidding war. :D I'm 29 years old and not counting the wife's cars, the Golf R is my 13th car; in my experience, there's always someone whose willing to give bottom dollar in order to make a deal happen. ;) Although it's a little tougher with cars like that Golf R, where only like 2 dealers in the state have any left. :iono:

BlownFa5

Banned
Oh wow, that WRX is a freak! Honestly, I haven't really understood Subaru's mentality since they beefed up the WRX so much. Giving out that much performance for the WRX makes it a little tough to justify the STI IMO, especially considering the interiors & options are so similar. Although Subaru seems to be doing a LOT better at selling WRX's & STI's than Mitsubishi is at selling Lancer Ralliarts (everyone seems to fork over the extra cash for the EVO), so maybe they're doing something right?!?

I've been saying this for a while now. Both make close to the same power in stock trim. The STI actually has the older VF48 turbo whereas the WRX has the newer, larger, VF52. If they didn't take the rear LSD out of the WRX in 08 it would completely embarrass the STI, given the price difference.

Unless one plans to go stage 2+ or track their car, there really aren't many good reasons to go with the STI over the WRX. I'd say most people chose to simply out of badge envy.

roninsoldier83

Ready to race!
I've been saying this for a while now. Both make close to the same power in stock trim. The STI actually has the older VF48 turbo whereas the WRX has the newer, larger, VF52. If they didn't take the rear LSD out of the WRX in 08 it would completely embarrass the STI, given the price difference.

Unless one plans to go stage 2+ or track their car, there really aren't many good reasons to go with the STI over the WRX. I'd say most people chose to simply out of badge envy.

Yep, I agree completely... if you're planning on tracking or highly modifying the car, then the STI makes sense, but otherwise, if you're just commuting, the STI seems like a waste of cash. Although it's too bad Subaru won't move the WRX into the 21st century and just give it a proper 6-speed (even their newer/cheaper 6-speed in the base Legacy would be nice)... but I fear in doing that, they might cannibalize STI sales to an even greater degree.

For the money, it's fairly hard for me to see why the STI is still so popular... the WRX can be had for substantially less cash, and the STI isn't really any faster (unless you're going around a track)... and if it's track prowess you desire, the Mitsubishi EVO is significantly more suited to turning, braking and accelerating... and if you're just looking for a nicer car to drive than an EVO, that's easier to live with, the Golf R makes a lot more sense to me.

Although I think it's funny that so many automotive journalists knock on the R's performance, but the STI doesn't seem to get the same negative stigma, when in reality, the R has been shown to run virtually the same lap times around tracks like VIR as the STI, and matches the same 1/4 mile trap speeds as the STI in virtually every publication I've read:

Motor Trend:

2011 Subaru STI- 13.8 sec @ 97.6 mph
2012 VW Golf R- 14.2 sec @ 97.9 mph

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1010_2011_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_sedan_test/viewall.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1202_2012_volkswagen_golf_r_first_test/

Edmunds Inside Line:

2011 Subaru STI- 13.8 @ 97.4
2012 VW Golf R- 14.4 @ 97.2

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/track-tested-2011-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-sedan.html
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/track-tested-2012-volkswagen-golf-r.html

Car and Driver:

2011 Subaru STI- 13.9 sec @ 99 mph
2012 VW Golf R- 14.3 sec @ 99 mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/subaru-impreza-wrx-review-2011-subaru-wrx-sti-sedan-test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-volkswagen-golf-r-test-review

^^^It makes me wonder, if the Golf R is "slow" or doesn't perform up to what's expected (despite being within 0.2 seconds of the STI's VIR lap times), what does that make the STI, given both vehicles have the same trap speeds? Especially considering the Golf R at least has an interior worthy of a ~$35k vehicle, which is something I wouldn't consider saying about the STI... Although I will say, the Subaru's seem to get out of the hole pretty hard compared to other models!

I tell you one thing though, I think the VW R would have gotten MUCH better reviews if VW would have at least given it a summer tire optional package, as the all-seasons don't spit out the slalom, skidpad and braking numbers that the car is capable of (i.e. STI levels). The all-season tires on the R make it seem much less capable than it actually is... Although maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way... Maybe I should be happy that so many people don't know about this car, as it enabled me to pick one up for in-voice, without having to deal with the "mad-tyte boy-racers" revving at me at every stop-light. :D

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Quality write-up :)

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
Good summer tires and ESP that you could turn off from the factory would have made it a totally different model launch.

Great to find a fellow r owner who reads and analyses the numbers. You and I are cut from the same cloth on this subject. Preach on brother.

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
nice write up. I was on my way to purchase a WRX wagon actually until the dealer stiffed me. I actually purchased the R the same day ( long story short, i got butthurt upset about the wrx that i ordered, brother in law told me to go check out the R, fell in love, end of story lol) But in comparison I wish the WRX has the refinement of the R interior wise it would be perfect. The WRX takes corners very well though as the R has a little sniffer turn feeling. Plus you can't turn of ESC in the R which some same is a deal breaker if you put it on the track. only the EU models you can turn it off . Which was one of the biggest complaints along with no DSG tranny. Nice write up indeed!

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
nice write up. I was on my way to purchase a WRX wagon actually until the dealer stiffed me. I actually purchased the R the same day ( long story short, i got butthurt upset about the wrx that i ordered, brother in law told me to go check out the R, fell in love, end of story lol) But in comparison I wish the WRX has the refinement of the R interior wise it would be perfect. The WRX takes corners very well though as the R has a little sniffer turn feeling. Plus you can't turn of ESC in the R which some same is a deal breaker if you put it on the track. only the EU models you can turn it off . Which was one of the biggest complaints along with no DSG tranny. Nice write up indeed!

You need to do some research big dog. The ESC solution was released in october 2012...

deaconblue

Passed Driver's Ed
I found your write-up to be informative and well written. You express in technical terms (something I'm unable to do) a lot of my own opinions about the R.

I sold my 2010 Subaru Forester XT Limited to buy my 2013 Golf R. Regarding the interior you are spot on!

Here's an recently posted article from Autoblog reviewing the WRX STi Special edition. The author seems to agree with you on many points:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/05/2013-subaru-wrx-sti-special-edition-quick-spin-review/