GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pressure plate failed at 19K miles

rich337

Ready to race!
[Car: 2012 GTI, 19K miles, 100% stock]

Last week the spring inside of the pressure plate broke. As I left a parking lot, it became increasingly difficult to the move shifter into gear, to the point where it wouldn't go into any gear at all. After pulling over safely and shutting the engine off, the shifter went into all gears smoothly. But after starting the car up again, no dice.

To make a long story short, my fiancee and I were three hours in to a 14 hour road trip. VW roadside assistance had us towed to the nearest dealer an hour away, who ran out of loaner cars. Let's just say I wasn't happy about driving a base model Corolla from Enterprise for the rest of the trip.

Although it took more than a week to get the necessary approvals from VWoA and order the parts, I'm happy that a new clutch kit was covered under warranty (part # 06J-141-015-JX).

Looks like I'm not the only one with this specific pressure plate issue:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79844
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75554

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Happened to me too. Suddenly couldn't shift into gears. I was tuned at the time and Serramonte VW still covered my repair. Replaced the entire clutch assembly at around 12k miles or so. Been great ever since.

rich337

Ready to race!
Happened to me too. Suddenly couldn't shift into gears. I was tuned at the time and Serramonte VW still covered my repair. Replaced the entire clutch assembly at around 12k miles or so. Been great ever since.

Good to hear. Does your replacement clutch feel different? Mine seems to have a lower engagement point and more resistance.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Good to hear. Does your replacement clutch feel different? Mine seems to have a lower engagement point and more resistance.

I stalled my car pulling it out of the service lot! Lol. Pedal was much stiffer and engagement was lower. Few days later and it felt fine or normal again. Or I just got used to it. Either way you'll be fine.

Which dealer did you go to for repair ?

rich337

Ready to race!
I stalled my car pulling it out of the service lot! Lol. Pedal was much stiffer and engagement was lower. Few days later and it felt fine or normal again. Or I just got used to it. Either way you'll be fine.

Which dealer did you go to for repair ?

Haha that's exactly how mine is. I'll PM you the dealer info.

Same issue happened to me in my '13 GLI (2012 build). Failed at 22,000 miles.

Did they replace your flywheel as well? I ended up having to replace my DMF 6k miles after the dealer installed the new clutch kit.

There is trending data with this. Can you contact VWOA regarding it to report another failure -- I was on phone with them yesterday... I want them to release a TSB

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I did have that annoying squeal on slight inclines so I took it to the dealer and had it preemptively replaced via TSB. The new pressure plate was installed improperly--they forgot loctite on the bolts. PP backed off and locked everything up.

After they replaced everything again, it was back to normal. Everything felt identical to before. I mean identical. On the faulty install, catch point was higher and stiffer... til it failed completely.

FYI they replaced my PP & clutch disc the first time. Second time around they replaced everything, PP, Clutch, FW, TOB.

rich337

Ready to race!
Same issue happened to me in my '13 GLI (2012 build). Failed at 22,000 miles.

Did they replace your flywheel as well? I ended up having to replace my DMF 6k miles after the dealer installed the new clutch kit.

There is trending data with this. Can you contact VWOA regarding it to report another failure -- I was on phone with them yesterday... I want them to release a TSB

No, they didn't replace my flywheel. Damn, I didn't think about that. I will keep my eye (err, foot) on it though.

I did indeed notify VWoA, especially because of the circumstances of being stranded during vacation. It does sound like there's a bad batch in 2012-2013 models.

I did have that annoying squeal on slight inclines so I took it to the dealer and had it preemptively replaced via TSB. The new pressure plate was installed improperly--they forgot loctite on the bolts. PP backed off and locked everything up.

After they replaced everything again, it was back to normal. Everything felt identical to before. I mean identical. On the faulty install, catch point was higher and stiffer... til it failed completely.

FYI they replaced my PP & clutch disc the first time. Second time around they replaced everything, PP, Clutch, FW, TOB.

Glad they took care of you!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
No, they didn't replace my flywheel. Damn, I didn't think about that. I will keep my eye (err, foot) on it though.

I did indeed notify VWoA, especially because of the circumstances of being stranded during vacation. It does sound like there's a bad batch in 2012-2013 models.

Glad they took care of you!

That explains why my clutch slips so early after stage 1

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Happened in my Golf R but it was increasingly noticeable when I jumped to stage 1+. The difference was that I couldn't get my car out of first gear within high revs.

I've done 5 clutch kits in the last 3 weeks. One of the GLI's is getting the second one tomorrow. The new PP are so much more beefier. No spring to break In it

Alan @ VW of Crystal Lake
Unitronic authorized dealer

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Glad to see they covered it, just goes to show what a no good POS Jason Morris at Preston VW of Boardman is

rich337

Ready to race!
I've done 5 clutch kits in the last 3 weeks. One of the GLI's is getting the second one tomorrow. The new PP are so much more beefier. No spring to break In it

Alan @ VW of Crystal Lake
Unitronic authorized dealer

Ahh no wonder why it feels different!