GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$10k big turbo budget or k04

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys... Thought I'd chip in with a few comments on this as well. Busy researching BT upgrade options too at the moment as I've become a bit bored with my K04 setup on the Scirocco platform.

K04 is great... The car is seriously quick... I've hit over 330whp at altitude in hot temps here in South Africa and also ran a 12.3 on the 1/4 with that setup. I've got pretty much all the groceries that matter including a twin-cooler and water meth injection. The problem with K04 is that it peaks early and dies on just as quickly as it came in. Having sat in a few BT cars, I can say that the power delivery of those is VERY exciting! A lot more power and torque at the business end of the rev counter. And if built correctly and not pushed to the turbos limit, the car will be reliable as a daily.

Wheelspin does worry me though, as does the dsg gearbox. My clutches are already slipping on the K04 setup... I'm not convinced that it will hold at BT power levels. I've already got a flash on the box.

get the real good tires!!!! trust me.

s word

Ready to race!
I love the comments about way more k04 issues than BT issues. That's because most BT guys drive their cars 5k miles a year and hard park at shows with the hood open and then cruise at 70mph all the way home without stepping into boost once. Reliable. Yep.

Just wanted to set things straight BT ownership is not all about SHIFTSECTOR, or trailer queens that don't get used. Not a world filled with boost lag and impossible traction. and undailyable cars. as is commonly mentioned.

I have anything but the above with my BT.

Most of us probably came from the K04 world and if you asked most of us if we would ever go back the answer would be...NO!

So if you are asking a crowd of what is better and listen to answers from people that have never actually been on both sides then you are doing it wrong.

No doubt K04 is great and more afforable and reliable too, BT is greater and semi-affordable and reliable too.

songyun

Ready to race!
golf r

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I love the comments about way more k04 issues than BT issues. That's because most BT guys drive their cars 5k miles a year and hard park at shows with the hood open and then cruise at 70mph all the way home without stepping into boost once. Reliable. Yep.

This is funny, my car is perfectly reliable. Why because it built correctly and tuned correctly. I do not log my car all the time to make sure I'm not pulling to much timing, etc. I also am not blowing boost pipes off, ruining pcvs, cleaning valves all the time, checkingmy spark plugs every other week....

Yes I only drive it 6-8k a year now, why because its my poor mans GT2. The car can do it but why. I have sunk countless hours of my own time and money into it and want to keep enjoying it and not worry about other people damaging it while I'm working etc. Also I'm in the snow belt which is great for keeping cars nice. I have a cheap daily I can drive and not worry about so much.

I'm almost double ko4 power and with 35k on the built motor. 40k on the car itself, been BT since 5-6k. I dailyed the car up to about 30k miles.

I drive it wherever and don't worry about it because its great and did I mention its stupid fast.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
if I had a $10K budget, I wouldn't bother throwing it into a VW. Just saying.

this

i'd get a better car by selling the GTI n extra $10k for a better car combined together, like mustang GT, WRX, STI, 370z, downpayment on m235i, but hey different strokes for different folks.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
This is funny, my car is perfectly reliable. Why because it built correctly and tuned correctly. I do not log my car all the time to make sure I'm not pulling to much timing, etc. I also am not blowing boost pipes off, ruining pcvs, cleaning valves all the time, checkingmy spark plugs every other week....

Yes I only drive it 6-8k a year now, why because its my poor mans GT2. The car can do it but why. I have sunk countless hours of my own time and money into it and want to keep enjoying it and not worry about other people damaging it while I'm working etc. Also I'm in the snow belt which is great for keeping cars nice. I have a cheap daily I can drive and not worry about so much.

I'm almost double ko4 power and with 35k on the built motor. 40k on the car itself, been BT since 5-6k. I dailyed the car up to about 30k miles.

I drive it wherever and don't worry about it because its great and did I mention its stupid fast.

That post was obviously not directly related at you, but just at BT owners in general. I feel like if most people's BT cars were their poor mans GT2, they would get driven like a GT2 should, and I do not think they would hold up like a GT2 would.

It's a personal opinion. I've owned BT cars, help friends build BT cars, etc. it's never going to be the same as a small OEM turbo upgrade. It's never going to be daily-able. As retarded as fireball was, he seemed like the only guy out there beating on his car like it was a GT2, and look at how well his holds up. Or Patrick with the GLi, he's out there racing and driving his like it should be driven and it's on a trailer every other week.

And on another note, I think having a "daily" is just dumb. If you are going to dump a bunch of money in a car I want to drive it. I also live in the rust belt, and drive 350+ miles a week and enjoy what I built everyday. Whether it be a Bugatti or a Jetta, I don't think there is a need to garage anything. It's a car. A material object. Spray the salt off and use touch up paint when needed and be extra careful. I DD'ed a MK3 for a winter 2 years ago while my brand new car sat in the garage, and then proceeded to realize how dumb I was and sold it.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
And on another note, I think having a "daily" is just dumb. If you are going to dump a bunch of money in a car I want to drive it.

I cannot agree with this enough! German winters can get pretty nasty and they are pretty generous with the salt. Most of my friends in the car scene (who dont drive evos or wrxs) hide their cars all winter. I think thats crazy.

But even after all that money its still just a car. I put it on a lift twice a year and steel wool any spots where rust might be developing. Frequent washes and waxes and always make sure to spray the undercarriage. The car will be fine.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Buy an Evo.

$10K is a lot, but its not too hard to do when you start modding several different aspects of the car. That said, stage 3 is "a lot" for this fwd platform. I think it definitely needs an LSD as well, if you go that route. Otherwise, K04 really is the best bang for you buck, imho.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
That post was obviously not directly related at you, but just at BT owners in general. I feel like if most people's BT cars were their poor mans GT2, they would get driven like a GT2 should, and I do not think they would hold up like a GT2 would.

It's a personal opinion. I've owned BT cars, help friends build BT cars, etc. it's never going to be the same as a small OEM turbo upgrade. It's never going to be daily-able. As retarded as fireball was, he seemed like the only guy out there beating on his car like it was a GT2, and look at how well his holds up. Or Patrick with the GLi, he's out there racing and driving his like it should be driven and it's on a trailer every other week.

And on another note, I think having a "daily" is just dumb. If you are going to dump a bunch of money in a car I want to drive it. I also live in the rust belt, and drive 350+ miles a week and enjoy what I built everyday. Whether it be a Bugatti or a Jetta, I don't think there is a need to garage anything. It's a car. A material object. Spray the salt off and use touch up paint when needed and be extra careful. I DD'ed a MK3 for a winter 2 years ago while my brand new car sat in the garage, and then proceeded to realize how dumb I was and sold it.

I cannot agree with this enough! German winters can get pretty nasty and they are pretty generous with the salt. Most of my friends in the car scene (who dont drive evos or wrxs) hide their cars all winter. I think thats crazy.

But even after all that money its still just a car. I put it on a lift twice a year and steel wool any spots where rust might be developing. Frequent washes and waxes and always make sure to spray the undercarriage. The car will be fine.

yeah i think you guys are missing the point.

As far as fireball is concerned, his car was not "built correctly." putting an mbc on an apr kit and trying to tune it yourself with his limited knowledge was dumb. regardless, the only thing that happened that i saw was a blown headgasket.

patricks gli is a franken setup. if you are going into uncharted territory it'll be hard to know the limits until you hit them. idk about his tuning issues, but his axle issues were since the gli axles were weaker from my understanding. but APR was doing his custom tuning, so yeah.

plenty of people daily stage 3+ kits. only reason you see a lot of cars down in the winter is because they are being rebuilt bigger and better. having a daily is smart when you have clutches that don't like cold weather or you want to reduce how much time you're driving a turbo in subfreezing temps. all you have to do is get a fun reliable daily and you're good to go. but without one you'll won't really understand.

i just don't see why you would build a car and then drive it through salt and snow. instead of having one all-purpose car, you have two (or however many) that each serve a purpose. simple concept.

USPMotorsports

Ready to race!
plenty of people daily stage 3+ kits.

^This.

We have customers from young to seasoned that own and daily drive Stage 3 to Stage 3+ cars every day. It comes down to how much power do you want. There does come a point where cars are no longer reliable daily drivers.

I can see a GTX28, GTX30 maybe a smaller PTE58 set up to be driven every day. I am actually looking forward to IEs new kit. All which can be daily driven and be around the 400WHP range.

Once you go beyond that IMO the car will become more difficult to drive everyday.

Phil

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I dd mine with over 100whp more than a k04, I drive a lot and don't baby it either. perfectly fine.