GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Basically, you're never going to get rid of all the noises in this car"

pubahs

Passed Driver's Ed
Pics pubah?
I think I'm in the exact same boat as you. The dealer ordered new window seals that are supposed to go on the car whenever I take it back to them. I think they made some adjustments while it was in for the 10k mile service as the door seems more rickety now. I don't know though, it could just be my imagination.

Ill take a pic tonight - VW really should make a durable plastic sleeve, but electrical tape is cheap, and is holding up well

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I also did the electrical tape fix, and I did a test also to verify if it indeed affected anything. On a 200miles highway trip I drove a part of it without the tape, and halfway through a washroom stop I applied to tape to the striker and drove the rest of the way with it. The windnoise improved and there seem to be less general rattling. But the it does nothing to the "ticking" noise from the B-pillar....

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
I must be in the minority to say I haven't had any issues with the b pillar wind noise. One thing I did notice was the chassis flex by the drivers door. Feels like the door is moving around anytime I'm not on a smooth surface. My Mk5 only had a squeaky armrest when it was cold out. Nothing else. And this electrical tape fix gets rid of the creak?

McQueen77

Banned
I must be in the minority to say I haven't had any issues with the b pillar wind noise. One thing I did notice was the chassis flex by the drivers door. Feels like the door is moving around anytime I'm not on a smooth surface. My Mk5 only had a squeaky armrest when it was cold out. Nothing else. And this electrical tape fix gets rid of the creak?

whats interesting about that is if you crack the window, it goes away mostly. I'm getting ready to take a small phone video of my recent discovery which i think will lead the dealer to replace the driver's side door seals and channels like they did on my passenger side. I get none of the flex or creaking on the passenger side. if both windows are rolled up, i am outside of my car and i push on the top of the passenger side window against the seals with my palm, its quiet. if i go and do that to the driver's side i can perfectly reproduce the 'creaking flexing' sound we're all talking about. couldn't do it while in the car, have to push on the closed window outside of the car and it flexes like crazy. ah ha!!! im going to show them that and tell them 'make it quiet'. my hunch is if they replace what they replaced on the passenger side, it will then be the quietest mk6 gti ever. short vid coming soon.

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Good stuff McQueen. I just got the email from the dealer saying my window seals for both driver and passenger are in and I can swing by anytime to have them installed.

P

plac

VW's attention to detail. Almost everyone has these issues...

:thumbup:

Yes, the MK5 was more refined and tight.

McQueen77

Banned
VW's attention to detail. Almost everyone has these issues...

:thumbup:

Yes, the MK5 was more refined and tight.

i agree 100%, but for me, the car is so fun to drive, so versatile and well done on every other level that i'm willing to fix these minor issues, move on, keep and enjoy the car for a long time.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
whats interesting about that is if you crack the window, it goes away mostly. I'm getting ready to take a small phone video of my recent discovery which i think will lead the dealer to replace the driver's side door seals and channels like they did on my passenger side. I get none of the flex or creaking on the passenger side. if both windows are rolled up, i am outside of my car and i push on the top of the passenger side window against the seals with my palm, its quiet. if i go and do that to the driver's side i can perfectly reproduce the 'creaking flexing' sound we're all talking about. couldn't do it while in the car, have to push on the closed window outside of the car and it flexes like crazy. ah ha!!! im going to show them that and tell them 'make it quiet'. my hunch is if they replace what they replaced on the passenger side, it will then be the quietest mk6 gti ever. short vid coming soon.

I'll definitely try the window trick tomorrow. Hopefully theres a more permanent way to fix it.

Last edited: