GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugh.....ABS/ESP Fault

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Ugh.....ABS/ESP Fault (Updated...Fix in last post)

Ok so here we go. I've had my car about a month and a half and the first issue has reared its ugly head. All was going very well, until a week ago when I got my front windows tinted. After the tint shop, I drive home and park the car. No issues. Then I come out a few hours later, turn the key and its like a Christmas tree on the dashboard. I got the "ABS Fault/ESP" deal on the MFI, steering wheel indicator, traction control indicator and TPS light on.

Searching through the threads over the past week I have concluded almost nothing lol......this seems to be an issue across the MK5,6 and 7 platforms and has been rectified by everything from a new battery, steering wheel column and programing with vagcom.

I know that initially this can pop up when you change a battery or remove your battery terminals. I did a quick voltage test of my battery and its reading 12.5VDC. Off the bat this threw up a red flag because I should be reading AT LEAST 12.6......should be in the 12.7 range in my experience. So I thought replacing the battery was the issue......however, the issue has popped up when I am driving. So I checked the system and I am charging at 14.6 VDC......in which case why would it pop up as I'm driving down the road if I have sufficient voltage?

I have not done a load test on the battery yet. I thought maybe I'd just replace the battery and then go from there but I am not one to just throw parts at a problem.

Anyone out here have any input? Anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
You need to scan for fault codes then go from there!

The ABS, ESP, TPS and steering wheel lights are all “linked” so it’s not likely to be multiple faults, it could be an ABS sensor gone bad but you need to scan it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Volkswagen and electrical issues.... always a problem.

I'd check your fuses under the hood and inside your cabin. Make sure none are blown.

Then I'd check that multi-fuse that is connected to the positive wire of your battery on the fuse box side. Shake that around and see if you can hear anything rattling around.

Those lights will come up if the battery is disconnected but they should go away once you start the car and lock the steering wheel to the left and then to the right or drive a very short distance.

This tells me that they probably disconnected your battery to do the tints. If they did what I did and connected the wires to the wrong terminals of the battery.... then you probably have some sort of blown fuse.

I blew my multi-fuse doing that. Thats the set of fuses that is connected to your positive wire on the fuse box side... it also connects your ABS module and some other modules to your fuse box.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Volkswagen and electrical issues.... always a problem.

I'd check your fuses under the hood and inside your cabin. Make sure none are blown.

Then I'd check that multi-fuse that is connected to the positive wire of your battery on the fuse box side. Shake that around and see if you can hear anything rattling around.

Those lights will come up if the battery is disconnected but they should go away once you start the car and lock the steering wheel to the left and then to the right or drive a very short distance.

This tells me that they probably disconnected your battery to do the tints. If they did what I did and connected the wires to the wrong terminals of the battery.... then you probably have some sort of blown fuse.

I blew my multi-fuse doing that. Thats the set of fuses that is connected to your positive wire on the fuse box side... it also connects your ABS module and some other modules to your fuse box.

Scan for faults with vcds or something similar. Many different issues will set off the lights

Thanks much!

I am looking into getting VCDS. I didn't realize it was as expensive as it was. Maybe Ill be able to find someone locally that can scan the car for me.

The battery, terminals and fuses all look good. No damage and nothing seems out of place. I checked it yesterday and it reads 12.48VDC and so I think that may be the problem. I am just scratching my head be because the battery looks brand new and the problem has popped up while I am driving. I don't understand this because I am well into the 14 V range when driving.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If you have an android you can get OBDEleven which can do almost everything VCDS can do now. I think I got mine for like $60. I use it more than VCDS. Ive learned that owning something that can scan VAG faults is absolutely essential for owning these cars because you WILL have issues.

If you're in a pinch you could always get a knockoff vcds cable and software for like $30 or download carista pro apk and use a generic bluetooth scanner to read faults but I'm not condoning that :p

Korydogg

Ready to race!
If you have an android you can get OBDEleven which can do almost everything VCDS can do now. I think I got mine for like $60. I use it more than VCDS. Ive learned that owning something that can scan VAG faults is absolutely essential for owning these cars because you WILL have issues.

If you're in a pinch you could always get a knockoff vcds cable and software for like $30 or download carista pro apk and use a generic bluetooth scanner to read faults but I'm not condoning that :p

Crap. Yea I have an iPhone lol

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Anyone out here have any input? Anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Yes. Had exactly that happen. It's one of your ABS sensors, absolutely. It could conceivably be the ABS module itself (heaven forbid, big bucks) but most unlikely. You get the christmas tree lights on the dash, ABS, steering, EPC, you name it. It's the ABS sensor. For sure.

If you scan with VAGCOM, like I did, it'll tell you which one is the culprit. But if I were you (and believe me, I speak from experience) I'd change out all four of them at once, get it over with. I didn't. Unfortunately, I discovered that once the first one goes, they all seem to decide to follow suit shortly thereafter.

When I fixed the first one, it wasn't a couple months later the next one went. Fixed that one. Then another one went. I then said ''screw it, replace them both ( the last two,) and be done with it. Been fine ever since.

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes. Had exactly that happen. It's one of your ABS sensors, absolutely. It could conceivably be the ABS module itself (heaven forbid, big bucks) but most unlikely. You get the christmas tree lights on the dash, ABS, steering, EPC, you name it. It's the ABS sensor. For sure.

If you scan with VAGCOM, like I did, it'll tell you which one is the culprit. But if I were you (and believe me, I speak from experience) I'd change out all four of them at once, get it over with. I didn't. Unfortunately, I discovered that once the first one goes, they all seem to decide to follow suit shortly thereafter.

When I fixed the first one, it wasn't a couple months later the next one went. Fixed that one. Then another one went. I then said ''screw it, replace them both ( the last two,) and be done with it. Been fine ever since.

Same experience with my 2010 GTI. Fault came up, scanned and replaced the sensor, a few weeks later came back and this time will do all of the remaining ones.

Korydogg

Ready to race!

Same experience with my 2010 GTI. Fault came up, scanned and replaced the sensor, a few weeks later came back and this time will do all of the remaining ones.

Thank you guys so much for the input. It's greatly appreciated. I've been stressing about this for two weeks and will be looking at this as a fix. I just ordered a suspension set up so when I am installing that I can do this as well.

Where did you get your replacements?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Thank you guys so much for the input. It's greatly appreciated. I've been stressing about this for two weeks and will be looking at this as a fix. I just ordered a suspension set up so when I am installing that I can do this as well.

Where did you get your replacements? Thanks again!

Not at a dealer, that's for sure, lol......I've got a local German shop I take my car to; after one too many screw-ups by dealers, I don't take it to them anymore. I'm pretty handy, and have a VAG-COM, so I do most of the non-heavy maintenance myself. Wasn't comfortable with the ABS sensor thing, though, so I had the German shop do it. They're fair, and do good work.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Not at a dealer, that's for sure, lol......I've got a local German shop I take my car to; after one too many screw-ups by dealers, I don't take it to them anymore. I'm pretty handy, and have a VAG-COM, so I do most of the non-heavy maintenance myself. Wasn't comfortable with the ABS sensor thing, though, so I had the German shop do it. They're fair, and do good work.

I plan to have someone with vagcom to run a scan and then go from there. I'd really prefer to just do it myself and so if its the sensors i'll prolly pick up some online or at the dealership.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for you to have all four replaced?

zrickety

The Fixer
I plan to have someone with vagcom to run a scan and then go from there.

How old is your battery?? The charging voltage is not the issue, you will get the fault before you start the car if the battery is not up to the job. The faults will stay when the car is running/charging. I've had the same issue, all the car needed was a new battery and the problems went away.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for you to have all four replaced?

The shop charged $119 for each sensor part. Labor is about the same. Like I said, though, I wasn't comfortable having to squeeze under the car and do this one myself. And this shop is good, they do things right, so don't mind paying in that case.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Yes it is definitely the ABS sensors. Have had 3/4 go bad already, same symptoms you're car is having