GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What car did you almost get over the GTI.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
MS3, WRX...both of which are very good cars. Dealer I was at had the exact GTI I wanted on the showroom floor which helped a lot. I drove the Hyundai GC and was not impressed at all.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
335, STI, EVO, CTS-V, S4

Ultimately the GTI won out because it did everything well, not just a couple really well. And the price was perfect.

plat

Ready to race!
My objective before purchasing my GTI was to look for something compact, fun with mix of economy, and practical. I wanted the HP of my 02 Honda Accord EX-V6 coupe but without the bulk (and potential for 'total failure' tranny). My top choices were:
1. MS3 - too much power for daily city driving and no auto. I used to drive manual but got tired of shifting in stop and go traffic.
2. Mits Lancer Sportback - Nice unique body style. Not too common. Poor interior quality. Really bad 'easy to scratch' plastics. Wanted the Ralliart version but those bucket seats are too tight around my hips.
3. Volvo C30 - Looked into it. A bit more expensive. Sedate fun not too exciting. Does not grow into you over time.

Saw and test drove a used MK5 GTI. Loved it! MK6 came out. Test drove it with the DSG. I loved it even more! Best mix of interior quality/comfort, practicality, and euro fun factor without punching a hole in your pocket (not too much compared to a BMW).

AndyH

Passed Driver's Ed
I almost got myself into a 2012 G37 sedan.. it was only about 3k$ more than my Golf, with the same service package, as they had a promotion on it.
Sure, it was more powerful and a bit more roomy, but in terms of equipment, interior quality and styling I had to go for the GTi.. no regrets either.

C4L

Banned
True dat. I also looked at the C30, but two doors was too impractical.

However, I like the fact that you can buy an ECU flasher from IPD and transform the C30 into a totally different car.

The only thing that kept from getting the C30 was that they wouldn't give me enough for my MKV GTI as trade-in. Other than that, I would be driving one today.

Kind of glad I didn't get it though. I am glad it worked out the way it did for me.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
almost got a 2009 GTI before I 'settled' on a 2012 GTI.

McQueen77

Banned
an '09 328i coupe, 6 spd. That was a great car

chino246

Ready to race!
335i- Too much coin..
WRX- Crappy gas mileage..
2011 Mustang GT- No 4 door model (I have 2 kids 2.5 year old and 15 month old)

Very happy with my decision!

Rjzgti

A 2011 WRX

But.....

3 months after purchasing the GTI...

IMG-20120118-00238.jpg

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Mini Cooper S. I should have bought it, such a better drive than the GTI. But I passed because of a $2k price difference and a very small trunk area.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I had actually purchased my STi, then the dealership decided to jerk me around with fake ETA dates. I decided to give VW a shot at stealing some business away from Subaru. I received a very good deal on a 2012 Autobahn. I ended up cancelling the STi while I was signing the papers for the GTI. The STi's ringland failures scared me away as well.

I don't think post-2011 models have ringland issue.

I almost got myself into a 2012 G37 sedan.. it was only about 3k$ more than my Golf, with the same service package, as they had a promotion on it.
Sure, it was more powerful and a bit more roomy, but in terms of equipment, interior quality and styling I had to go for the GTi.. no regrets either.

No way the GTI has better interior quality and equipment than the G37. The GTI interior is more luxurious for its price but no way it's better than a G37.