GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Get Pulled Over for Exhaust; Drive a New Mk7

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm 38, but of course he mistook me for one of the many boy-racer ricer types in Lee County with a can on the end of their Honda. What happened was I had to avoid some ass who dove in front of me to change lanes - I changed lanes and passed, pretty much flooring it, and to the officer I'm sure it looked and sounded like I was just going ham.

OEM exhaust back on...immediately knew this was the right choice. When I had the aftermarket TBE installed, I was doing 95% highway driving everyday to and from work. Stage 2 was perfect. Now it's the other way around on surface roads for me.

The loss in power is apparent, but only in the upper RPM ranges, where I'm not often pushing the car these days anyway. The compromise of the loss of top-end power (again, not useable to me much now) for the benefit of OEM parts and quiet, OEM sound was easy to accept.

Why not keep at least the downpipe on mated to the stock exhaust? I'm about to do that so I can at least go Stg2 comfortably. I honestly thought stock exhaust is brutally quiet, but I'm not sure how much attention I want having a DP going into after market rear exhaust that could make it scream. Plenty of picky POPOs in Jersey that love to pull you over for anything possible.

cardoboy

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't understand why you guys complain about a car made in Mexico. It's not like they are built in an alleyway using a broken Corona bottle and some rusty nails as tools.

A lot of Cadillacs are built in Mexico.

"The automotive sector accounts for 17.6% of Mexico’s manufacturing sector.[2] Mexico is the third largest automobile manufacturing nation in the Western Hemisphere, after the United States and Brazil, producing 3.1 million vehicles in 2013.[3] The industry produces technologically complex components and engages in research and development.[4] The "Big Three" (General Motors, Ford and Chrysler) have been operating in Mexico since the 1930s, while Volkswagen and Nissan built their plants in the 1960s.[5] In Puebla alone, 70 industrial part-makers cluster around Volkswagen.[4] In the 2010s expansion of the sector was surging. In 2014 more than $10 billion in investment was committed in the first few months of the year. Kia Motors in August 2014 announced plans for a $1 billion factory in Nuevo León. At the time Mercedes-Benz and Nissan were already building a $1.4 billion plant near Puebla, while BMW was planning a $1-billion assembly plant in San Luis Potosí. Additionally, Audi began building a $1.3 billion factory near Puebla in 2013.[6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Mexico#Current_market_.282007.E2.80.93present.29

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand why you guys complain about a car made in Mexico. It's not like they are built in an alleyway using a broken Corona bottle and some rusty nails as tools.

A lot of Cadillacs are built in Mexico.

"The automotive sector accounts for 17.6% of Mexico’s manufacturing sector.[2] Mexico is the third largest automobile manufacturing nation in the Western Hemisphere, after the United States and Brazil, producing 3.1 million vehicles in 2013.[3] The industry produces technologically complex components and engages in research and development.[4] The "Big Three" (General Motors, Ford and Chrysler) have been operating in Mexico since the 1930s, while Volkswagen and Nissan built their plants in the 1960s.[5] In Puebla alone, 70 industrial part-makers cluster around Volkswagen.[4] In the 2010s expansion of the sector was surging. In 2014 more than $10 billion in investment was committed in the first few months of the year. Kia Motors in August 2014 announced plans for a $1 billion factory in Nuevo León. At the time Mercedes-Benz and Nissan were already building a $1.4 billion plant near Puebla, while BMW was planning a $1-billion assembly plant in San Luis Potosí. Additionally, Audi began building a $1.3 billion factory near Puebla in 2013.[6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autom...ico#Current_market_.282007.E2.80.93present.29

That's all fine and dandy, but if I buy a German car it better be built in Germany not in Venezuela. I'm paying 30k+ for it not 20k cause it's built in Mexico. Also most higher end cars are built in Germany like the golf R. Why is that? Hmmmmm

Also with Nissan It's the same thing. I think that the 370z and GT-R are built in Japan. I remember all the issues with the K04 and the GLI engines and those are built in Mexico. APR even made a thread on it. So I have my good reasons to why it's not just about location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure my feelings about the cars built in Mexico. I'm sure they do a good job, it just feels awkward buying a German brand and the car made in another country. I would at least expect a decent discount on the price for that.
Regardless, I did hear the build quality in Brazil for whatever brand, is very subpar. They found weaker frames that result in the cars getting absolutely demolished in crashes vs the same car built in other countries. So yes, I do think some countries might try to cut corners on the builds to cut costs, but if they aren't and just simply putting together with the same original parts, I'm OK with that I think...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
That's all fine and dandy, but if I buy a German car it better be built in Germany not in Venezuela. I'm paying 30k+ for it not 20k cause it's built in Mexico. Also most higher end cars are built in Germany like the golf R. Why is that? Hmmmmm

Also with Nissan It's the same thing. I think that the 370z and GT-R are built in Japan. I remember all the issues with the K04 and the GLI engines and those are built in Mexico. APR even made a thread on it. So I have my good reasons to why it's not just about location.

The R is still assembled in Germany because the Puebla plant wasn't set up to accommodate the all wheel drive system at the time MK7 production started up.
Not because of some superior assembly record of the German location over the Mexican one.
Which, as you may have noticed - does not seem to exist - as plenty of MK6's assembled in Germany had their share of defects.
Over on the MK7 boards, the people on the other side of the Atlantic who have MK7's assembled in Germany rather than Mexico do not enjoy some favorable level of assembly quality or lack of defects relative to the cars assembled in Mexico that we here in the states get.
Is it cool to have your German car built in Germany?
Sure, I suppose I'd like that too.
Hell, my Great Grandfather on my mothers side had the last name of Bosch.
But, that's all it is - a cool thing.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
One reason the MK7 is built in Mexico, more profit to be made for VW. Less labor costs & less to transport the cars to buyers. I don't feel quality suffers at all. If the MK7 was made in Germany it would cost more. The MBQ platform was adopted for more profit. VW needs to be profitable if they are going to survive. They are going to be paying billion$ due to their die$el Fark up.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
The R is still assembled in Germany because the Puebla plant wasn't set up to accommodate the all wheel drive system at the time MK7 production started up.
Not because of some superior assembly record of the German location over the Mexican one.
Which, as you may have noticed - does not seem to exist - as plenty of MK6's assembled in Germany had their share of defects.
Over on the MK7 boards, the people on the other side of the Atlantic who have MK7's assembled in Germany rather than Mexico do not enjoy some favorable level of assembly quality or lack of defects relative to the cars assembled in Mexico that we here in the states get.
Is it cool to have your German car built in Germany?
Sure, I suppose I'd like that too.
Hell, my Great Grandfather on my mothers side had the last name of Bosch.
But, that's all it is - a cool thing.

It's more than just a cool thing, like I said I've seen issues from the GLI'S that are built in Mexico. They choke up top and don't make power. My car and his car where mod for mod equal, everything was the same even the transmission, tires, intake, tbe, intercooler and ko4 all tuned from APR, the only difference was many was built in Germany and his in Mexico. I'm sure it might not be just a Mexico thing but gee what a coincidence. Unless me as the consumer will be getting a discount, then I want my car to be built with premium labor and facilities.

If vw keeps this up with the golf R too I'll go up to bmw next. And so on.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It's more than just a cool thing, like I said I've seen issues from the GLI'S that are built in Mexico. They choke up top and don't make power. My car and his car where mod for mod equal, everything was the same even the transmission, tires, intake, tbe, intercooler and ko4 all tuned from APR, the only difference was many was built in Germany and his in Mexico. I'm sure it might not be just a Mexico thing but gee what a coincidence. Unless me as the consumer will be getting a discount, then I want my car to be built with premium labor and facilities.

What are you talking about?:confused:

mmmoose

Ready to race!
I'm not sure my feelings about the cars built in Mexico. I'm sure they do a good job, it just feels awkward buying a German brand and the car made in another country. I would at least expect a decent discount on the price for that.

This right here is my biggest problem. You know they're saving A LOT of money by switching over to Mexico. Sooooo why doesn't the price of the car actually reflect that? You might argue that, well, they also added more standard features to the base trim. Meanwhile the competition is doing the same without resorting to major price hikes or change in manufacturing locations. So yeah, you know they're pocketing that extra money.

This is why I wait until a model year is being phased out. Grab these cars brand new at a sweet price with cash incentives and 0% APR on top. Win-win situation.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!

All the engines and transmission are made in the same place, Mexico and Wolfsberg plants assemble in different locations. VW isn't the only manufacture in Mexico. Pretty much all of the major car manufactures have plants in Mexico.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Mexico

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
All the engines and transmission are made in the same place, Mexico and Wolfsberg plants assemble in different locations. VW isn't the only manufacture in Mexico. Pretty much all of the major car manufactures have plants in Mexico.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Mexico

I know most manufacturers have plants in Mexico and other places throughout the states etc. but if I buy a Honda Civic Si I don't want it built in Haiti. Catch my drift?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I know most manufacturers have plants in Mexico and other places throughout the states etc. but if I buy a Honda Civic Si I don't want it built in Haiti. Catch my drift?

A lot of BMW and Mercedes are built in United States and Hungary not Austria.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!

Do you want the Civic that is built in China? Or do you want the one from India? Brazil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants

My wife's Acura was assembled in Ontario, Canada. My RAM 3500 was assembled in Mexico, my MK6 GTI was assembled in Germany. I don't think it matters where they are assembled, what matters are how the manufacturing is managed. Most of the major parts for any cars are manufactured at different locations then the assembly plants.

Is the Ikea furniture you put together (for your friend, if you don't have any) any better then the Ikea furniture that I put together any better? It depends on how much care and attention you put towards the assembly.