GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Common rattling noise between 2500-3000rpm cause

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
good call. thats a way to get sound without the downpipe hassles. although the best thing about the downpipe for me is the way it makes the improved flow feel.

Definitely, I ran the car on stock mode with the downpipe and I wasn't missing stage 2 that much in regular driving. Now without it, the difference is massive. But it's ok, most of the time I'm not pushing the car as I only use it to go back and forth from work and 90% of that is freeway.

Mr Formula1

Ok, i went into my dealership today and spoke to the technicians in the service department. As i started to say the problem, they finished the sentence off for me.
They are aware of the rattle and advised me that it is a common noise out of the GTI and VW Australia issued a report on the situation.
They aslo said that it wont cause a problem to the car in anyway whatsoever.

So i guess we just have to live with it.
After hearing that, i jumped in my car and closed that chapter, now im not too worried about it at all.

If there is a cure down the track, i will definately be interested, until then.... happy driving.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Haha no need to, i installed my stock downpipe again, the rattle is gone :d I'm so happy xD car feels so refined again. Did the job in around 3 hours! No power or expensive tools, in my garage. I remember the first time i did it by myself it took me like 9 lol. By the way i took some pics to post a diy. Now that the rattle is gone, i think ill get a magnaflow catback to add a clean and deep sound to my exhaust.

good call. thats a way to get sound without the downpipe hassles. although the best thing about the downpipe for me is the way it makes the improved flow feel.

k..so ive been trying to figure out if i have this rattle; I just cant hear anything in the lower rpm range as a rattle or rocks in a can. From the way everyone descsribes it, this noise is brutal and unmistakeable. (CBFA 12.5k)

So when i go stage 2 in a few weeks is it possible the rattle is going to suddenly appear ??!!?

wtf?

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
k..so ive been trying to figure out if i have this rattle; I just cant hear anything in the lower rpm range as a rattle or rocks in a can. From the way everyone descsribes it, this noise is brutal and unmistakeable. (CBFA 12.5k)

So when i go stage 2 in a few weeks is it possible the rattle is going to suddenly appear ??!!?

wtf?

If you don't hear it now then you may be one of the lucky few that don't experience it at all.

roksax

turbo lover
Yep, I've got the rattle too. I've found I barely notice it with the windows up, but with the windows down it's rather annoying. I hope they come up with a fix for this!

I guess I can look at it this way. At least my car's so good the worst thing about it is a little rattle that shouldn't be there.

allset

Go Kart Champion

RoBob

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have the slight rattle noise when accelerating from a stop. It only happens if I'm not getting into the throttle hard and stops after 40 mph. I have 1700 miles and was told by a VW tech that it was a pressure valve on the turbo that I was hearing.

I test drove an EOS with my wife and heard the same noise. Although it wasn't as prevalent.

chilli42

Ready to race!
Not good, new GTI on Friday and my email to my dealership... Is there any update on this?

Hi Ken,

Thanks in advance for your time.

This attached TB pretty much outlines the issue, and I have also included the thread link below which is one example of hundreds of postings about this issue:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8045&page=3

I traded my 2007 GTI in on Friday at Douglas for a new 2011 GTI (DSG). I quickly noticed this rattle that is exactly described in the TB attached. This noise was not present at all in the 2007 FSI engine.

I really appreciate you help in this matter. As you can guess, I didn’t want to spend $28,500 on a brand new performance car that sounds cheap and rattles like a tin can stones in it, when doing what it is supposed to be good at – accelerating!

I look forward to hearing from you and welcome any insight into the issue.. My main questions are:

1. If this is a common known problem why has Volkswagen not acknowledged this issue?
2. What is Volkswagen's official response regarding this issue?
3. How will Volkswagen address the issue? Will owners be notified?
4. Above all, will this noise issue cause long-term damage to the car?

Thanks again for your time.

Mogadishu

My previous 2009 GTI (MKV, TSI, DSG) had the "marbles rolling in a can" noise, partial throttle, around 2.5K RPM. At some point, the rattle disappeared. I don't even remember when it went away completely- best guess is around 10K-15K miles My 2011 has about 2,500 miles now and the rattle has diminished somewhat from when it was brand new.
@chilli42:
1, 2, 3- best guess is that VW doesn't see an issue, and if it eventually goes away (think extended break-in), it's just an annoyance
4- 50K when I traded in my 09 MKV isn't exactly long term, but I had no problems traceable to the noise.

P

plac

Not good, new GTI on Friday and my email to my dealership... Is there any update on this?

Hi Ken,

Thanks in advance for your time.

This attached TB pretty much outlines the issue, and I have also included the thread link below which is one example of hundreds of postings about this issue:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8045&page=3

I traded my 2007 GTI in on Friday at Douglas for a new 2011 GTI (DSG). I quickly noticed this rattle that is exactly described in the TB attached. This noise was not present at all in the 2007 FSI engine.

I really appreciate you help in this matter. As you can guess, I didn’t want to spend $28,500 on a brand new performance car that sounds cheap and rattles like a tin can stones in it, when doing what it is supposed to be good at – accelerating!

I look forward to hearing from you and welcome any insight into the issue.. My main questions are:

1. If this is a common known problem why has Volkswagen not acknowledged this issue?
2. What is Volkswagen's official response regarding this issue?
3. How will Volkswagen address the issue? Will owners be notified?
4. Above all, will this noise issue cause long-term damage to the car?

Thanks again for your time.

There will be no response to the issue. You will live with this noise as long as you own the GTI.