GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Vdub_lover
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Black 6speed GTi
AWE/Borla CATBACK questions

I am in the market for a catback exhaust and i am looking between the

AWE catback system:

and

Borla Catback system:

Thanks to *****MK6 for the pic

now for each one i have a couple of questions:

1)How is the fit and finish of each system? (I.E. rubbing and rattles)

2) How is the install?

3) how is the low end torque and anyone notice performance lose? (I.E. do you lose the low end of our car?) im stock btw.

4) How is the customer service for each company (Personal experiences)

5) and your overall reviews on each please!

Thanks alot for your time Guys!

p.s. i dont like the sound of the APR but i know they are a great company...

Videos

AWE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14hFw...layer_embedded

Borla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ixsi...eature=related

Last edited by Vdub_lover; 01-13-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: fixed pic
Vdub_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
denny
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI
your 2nd picture is not a borla exhaust its a 42dd catback
denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2015 Golf TDI SEL
OP not sure if you made the mistake with the picture or name of your second exhaust choice the picture as denny stated is of a 42 draft designs TBE, not a borla cat back. Could you please clarify?
jp0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Vdub_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
OP not sure if you made the mistake with the picture or name of your second exhaust choice the picture as denny stated is of a 42 draft designs TBE, not a borla cat back. Could you please clarify?
my bad, it is ment to be a borla. google did me wrong

But it is ment to be Borla
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

That will help people respond First off I have neither but of the two the AWE is on my list of two possible exhausts, the other being the originally pictured 42dd. I like the AWE better for two primary reasons; 1. I dont like 4" tips on the GTI (the AWE comes with 3.5") and 2. AWE makes a complete TBE, so when you are ready to get a DP they have one which fits their catback perfectly. On the Borla I have read about problems with them melting the area around the exhaust cut outs and also read about some having fitiment problems with the tips. Again I don't own either this is just personal opinion based upon reading and listening to exhaust clips etc.

JP
Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Vdub_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
That will help people respond First off I have neither but of the two the AWE is on my list of two possible exhausts, the other being the originally pictured 42dd. I like the AWE better for two primary reasons; 1. I dont like 4" tips on the GTI (the AWE comes with 3.5") and 2. AWE makes a complete TBE, so when you are ready to get a DP they have one which fits their catback perfectly. On the Borla I have read about problems with them melting the area around the exhaust cut outs and also read about some having fitiment problems with the tips. Again I don't own either this is just personal opinion based upon reading and listening to exhaust clips etc.

JP
thats the same, and i like AWE over the 42DD bc i heard that 42DD has some welding issues.

But ive heard that the AWE has some rubbing by the driver side rear wheel on something, but probably be adjusted.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

I think you would be well served with an AWE exhaust. I'm still not sure which I will choose. One positive if you are looking at future mods like a DP the AWE DP to my knowledge is the only DP proven to not throw a CEL on cars with no tune. So theres lots to think about.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
plac

Drives:
i never had a catback, but i gotta saw AWE just from the Borla threads ive read alone.. you almost never ever see a bad AWE review.. their downpipe is in the top 3 best IMHO.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
MEGTi
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI Black 4dr 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
your 2nd picture is not a borla exhaust its a 42dd catback
That's a Borla. I own one. That is a picture of member *****MK6's Borla exhaust:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12258

I've got a few pictures of mine in this album
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/album.php?albumid=191

Good luck with the decision. They fixed the fitment issues with the borla exhaust. As you can tell by his and my pictures... Its gorgeous and its Borla, the sound needs no explanation.
APR Stage II.2 - 35% Tints - Carbonio Intake - BSH Stage II Intake - 42DD Downpipe - Borla Exhaust - R Tails - NewSouth Vent Boost Gauge/Forge Tap - Forge Spacer - Rockford T400-2/JL12w3 + Sundown 125.2/Kappa Perfects6.1
MEGTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Trainwreck
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 4DR GTI
I just installed the AWE Cat- Back last weekend. I love it.

now for each one i have a couple of questions:

1)How is the fit and finish of each system? No issues. AWE CBE has alot of adjustbility, so you can tweak to get it right.

2) How is the install? fairly easy. I had the rear end on ramps. Getting the rubber hangers off the OEM exhaust takes some finagling. Though if you use something like Dawn dish soup as lube you are golden.

3) how is the low end torque and anyone notice performance lose? (I.E. do you lose the low end of our car?) im stock btw. AWE CBE tuning is 2.5 inch. they went with 2.5 not to loose low end per web site. I would say a very very mild gain, in fact. I say that because OEM Exhaust has 2 mufflers, plus the OEM mid muffler is offset. the AWE only has a mid muffler, and its straight through.

It's the downpipe where the constriction is. I had a TSI CC. put a APR D/p on it... you could tell right away.

4) How is the customer service for each company (Personal experiences). I live 40 minutes away from AWE tuning. I had a good experience with them. the whole process went smooth. I liked how they were up front with me.

5) and your overall reviews on each please!

the exhaust comes really alive from mid rpms on. Nice growl. Doesn't sound you drive a 4 banger. It's very mature around town. Won't catch much attention from the local cops. ( good for me, they to pull people where I work near all time).

BTW, I am stock.... I am waiting tunes for 2011 to add a D/P et al
Trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
VWGTIMK6
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI MKVI
The revised borla system is flawless, quality, sound, fit and finish is perfect, low end is fine, looks proper from the outside and the service was awesome. I only, and highly recomend the Borla
VWGTIMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #12
euro89
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CW MK6 GTI, Manual
Heres my write up on the AWE catback.. enjoy
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...ht=AWE+catback
Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
iBoost&Cream
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 Volkswagen GTI 2.0T
Send a message via AIM to iBoost&Cream
now this could be a crazy idea.. BUT.. has anyone ever installed a Borla Catback with a eurojet mid? Ive heard borlas on mk6 and sound really deep and aggressive. Ive heard eurojet mids on either a stock or magnaflow catback and it gives the sound a more aggressive rumble to it.

So just figured if anyone with borla catbacks installed it with a eurojet mid... or the better question would be, WOULD it even fit???
iBoost&Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
DRedman45
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: UG '10 4dr gti(sold)-E86 //M coupe
Send a message via AIM to DRedman45
both set ups fit great and sound great...your question about loss low end torque is a complete non issue with an exhaust on a turbocharged car...you want as little restriction on the exhaust side of the turbo as possible, the lower pressure creates a vacuum which pulls air through the turbo at a higher rate...which is very good haha, however performance gains on just a cat back will be very minimal
DRedman45 is offline   Reply With Quote