GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R owners awaiting delivery

zee

Go Kart Champion
You won't be jealous of the price. The UK price is huge and in europe its not much better,

Won't be to bad for us, VW always offers a discounted price for North America compared to what is paid in UK a& Europe.:D

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
So long as it's under 40K U.S. I'm good-to-go.

csmkv

Speeder
40k would be a bit too much for me... imagine that s4 only takes about 5k as I configured.
35k-ish would be decent point for me tho.

GTI2007

You would be very lucky then cause in Germany the price for a base model Golf R is little over $ 53k

mongo1

Ready to race!
The VW guys I talk to just aren't that hopeful right now. Aside from all of the red tape in getting the car ready for sale in the US, they say working out the money details are really going to throw a wrench in the R20 coming stateside. As it's been explained to me, the R20 is made in Germany (apparently the GTI is made in Mexico). With the weak Dollar, there just isn't a way right now to get the R20 to the states at a price Americans are willing to pay... We need to hope the economy turns around, or that VW magically decides to build US R20's in Mexico (which I find unlikely, considering the volume of R20's that would need to be produced to make that profitable).

Personally, I've decided that the R20 won't get here anytime soon. I think my best bet (I need a car sooner than later) is to get a MKVI GTI, and position myself financially to be ready for a MKVII GTI-R when they come out.

Thankfully, I spent the last several months freeing up the finances for a potential R20 so I can splurge a little on getting a decked out GTI. :)

dloadkgeerrss

Yeah Scharf is right. The last Vin I saw for a MK VI GTI was from Wolfsburg. This site has old info on VW vin's but I am guessing not much has changed. http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/VW_VIN.shtml

Here is the General rule:

First digit is for the Manufacturing Country. If it starts with a W then its from Europe, 1 is USA, 3 is Mexico, 9 is Brazil.

Second digit stands for the Manufacturer. A is for Audi, B is for VW Brazil, and V is Volkswagen.

Eleventh digit is for the Assembly Plant. A - Ingolstadt, B - Brussels, E - Emden, G - Graz, H - Hanover, K - Osnabruck, M - Mexico, N - Neckarsulm, P - Brazil, S - Stuttgart, V - Westmoreland, PA. (USA), W - Wolfsburg, Y - Spain (SEAT)

Here are two vin numbers from 2010 Volkswagen Golf's on eBay. I'm going to X out the serial numbers.

2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI:
WVWEV7AJ3AWXXXXXX = VW Europe, Wolfsburg.

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L:
WVWAB7AJ6AWXXXXXX = VW Europe, Wolfsburg.

Mongo I say go with your gut, if your not willing to wait for the R20 then pull the trigger on the GTi.

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah Scharf is right. The last Vin I saw for a MK VI GTI was from Wolfsburg. This site has old info on VW vin's but I am guessing not much has changed. http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/VW_VIN.shtml

Here is the General rule:

First digit is for the Manufacturing Country. If it starts with a W then its from Europe, 1 is USA, 3 is Mexico, 9 is Brazil.

Second digit stands for the Manufacturer. A is for Audi, B is for VW Brazil, and V is Volkswagen.

Eleventh digit is for the Assembly Plant. A - Ingolstadt, B - Brussels, E - Emden, G - Graz, H - Hanover, K - Osnabruck, M - Mexico, N - Neckarsulm, P - Brazil, S - Stuttgart, V - Westmoreland, PA. (USA), W - Wolfsburg, Y - Spain (SEAT)

Here are two vin numbers from 2010 Volkswagen Golf's on eBay. I'm going to X out the serial numbers.

2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI:
WVWEV7AJ3AWXXXXXX = VW Europe, Wolfsburg.

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L:
WVWAB7AJ6AWXXXXXX = VW Europe, Wolfsburg.

Mongo I say go with your gut, if your not willing to wait for the R20 then pull the trigger on the GTi.

great info, thanks!!

mongo1

Ready to race!
Who told you the GTI was manufactured in Mexico?

'cause they're wrong.

I stand corrected. To be fair to my "source" (a VW salesman), he was talking about the weak dollar, and the R20's German origin as leading factors against it's bid to come to the US soon. He did not, upon recollection, state that GTIs were built in Mexico. I incorrectly inferred that.

My apologies.