GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage I long term information

mongo1

Ready to race!
Not sure if anyone else is curious about the long term satisfaction/problems of upgrading your ECU software, but I have started a thread over at the MKV forums discussing the topic (I figure those guys have had their cars long enough to have put bigtime mileage on their GTI's). So far, the responses have been pretty informative (at least, I'm learning a lot). There's a little bit of mud slinging between some of the tuning brand fans, but the overall positive nature of chipping is great to read.

If anyone is interested, the thread is here.

I particularly liked reading the post from the guy who's been Stage II for 50,000 miles, with long trips, autocross, and everything in between (aside from a timing belt tensioner that needed to be replaced, his car has been worry free).

Who knows if/when I'll find myself with the money to get this done at a time when the upgrades are most affordable (X-mas time sure is tight with all the nieces and nephews wanting cool presents). However, I'm certainly less scared about the long-term effects of software upgrades to my beautiful GTI. :)

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
yep, good to know the long term; APR states that their tunes are to OEM tolerances so that sounds like they are taking that into consideration; the main thing it looks like it does is remove the boost "cap" of ~12psi and a flat 10psi through most of the powerband and allow it to peak around 19psi.. sounds like fun to me :)

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the info Mongo! i've been wondering about that kinda of stuff as well. i've read the info on the 'R' were they've done all kinds of internal strengthening to the motor and wondered how the stock motor would fare with upgrades. when i do do this, i think i'm goin' to stick with APR. they seem to really have their act together over there and put out some good quality stuff! :thumbsup:

mongo1

Ready to race!
The replies over on MKV have lead me to questions someone on here may have an answer to:

Is the PCV Valve still a concern in the MKVI?

Does the MKVI use the diaphragm or the piston diverter valve? (seems to be concerns over the old, diaphragm DV lasting on an upgraded ECU)

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
The replies over on MKV have lead me to questions someone on here may have an answer to:

Is the PCV Valve still a concern in the MKVI?

Does the MKVI use the diaphragm or the piston diverter valve? (seems to be concerns over the old, diaphragm DV lasting on an upgraded ECU)

you would think all MkVI would have the newer/better/updated diverter valve, but i'm interested to know for sure as well. it won't stop me, i'll just get either the better OEM one or a nice 3rd party one if need be...

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
FWIW We've have been long term testing our stage III kit on a fully stock motor (except the APR kit) with full stock internals since well before the MK6 was even available in the united states. Everything is still going strong. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about with a stage I and II flash and, to be honest, stage III. :)

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been Stage II'd for about 70,000 miles and haven't had an issue. Also have about 24 track days on the car. I'd like to keep the car, but it's time for a timing belt change, new suspension, new right rear hub, and frankly the thing just HAS to explode soon with all the abuse I've put it through. Been a great car though. Getting into the MKVI in February or so...